Author Topic: Beer Tap Handle  (Read 4223 times)

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
Beer Tap Handle
« on: November 22, 2013, 09:31:40 PM »
I thought this might get your attention :cheers:

My grandson, who lives in Colorado, has taken up brewing beer.  Most home brew doesn't get much more than a polite "Thats pretty good" from me and that is about what I expected when Cory offered a bottle of his beer last summer.  I was very pleasantly surprised.  It got an enthusiastic "Thats pretty damn good! Let's have another!"  We were building a fence in his new back yard and I promised him a custom made tap handle when he got back ( 3rd tour Afghanistan).  Well he is back and here is his beer tap.

Aluminum 5" high, 2" diameter, 1.5" diameter permanent brass plate in front, 1" diameter removeable brass plate in top .  The top plate is for the current flavor.

I will be in Colorado for Christmas so it will get a personal presentation.

Jerry

NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline dsquire

• Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Beer Tap Handle
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 09:53:46 PM »
Jerry

Looks like an excellent job and I'm sure that it will be around for a lot of years. Every time he draws a beer he will remember where it came from. Hope that you have a wonderful trip when you go to present it to him. :)

Cheers  :cheers:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 12:21:35 AM »
Jerry

Looks like an excellent job and I'm sure that it will be around for a lot of years. Every time he draws a beer he will remember where it came from. Hope that you have a wonderful trip when you go to present it to him. :)

Cheers  :cheers:

Don

Thanks, Don.  I'm sure it will be great.  So far, Cory has bottled his beer, but I believe his dad plans to give him a Kegerator for Xmas so keg beer is still a future activity.

Brass Plates

If you have need for custom engraved brass plates you might check with the tack shops in your area.  Regular engraving shops are used to the high profit mark-up of the jewelry trade but tack shops (horse equipment) are much more realistic in their pricing. Brass tags in all shapes and sizes are commonly attached to horse tack to keep track of who wears what and who owns what. The shops think of these in a very utilitarian manner and charge accordingly. Less than half what the memorabilia type shops charge.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 12:48:41 AM »
That's real nice Jerry.

If you don't mind me asking; how did you do the lettering?

Sure beats the stock black plastic ones I use on my tap; you would think a machinist would have something better. ;D

Dave

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 01:15:23 AM »
Hi CJ,

Looks like you've got a good handle on this beer making stuff  :NotWorthy:

Best Regards
Bob

Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 01:19:36 AM »
That's real nice Jerry.

If you don't mind me asking; how did you do the lettering?

Sure beats the stock black plastic ones I use on my tap; you would think a machinist would have something better. ;D

Dave

I took the easy route.  I let the tack shop do it. (see above).  They had a limited number of fonts available so I went for a Script for the big front plate and a very simple sans serif style for the top. The cut is fairly deep, they expect rough use on horse tack, and filled with black. They sized it to fit and had it ready the next day.  One big plate and four small plates cost $24 US.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 01:24:16 AM »
Hi Jerry

Oops sorry I missed that one; and that is a good tip, thanks.

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal