Author Topic: elmers engines and the Appendix  (Read 2344 times)

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
elmers engines and the Appendix
« on: November 16, 2013, 09:02:50 PM »
I am just completing my foundry setup and want to start building patterns for casting the major parts of steam engines to build using aluminum.My question pertains to the appendix to Elmers engines on the john-tom site, and is for experienced Elmer's engines builders. Are the cylinders detailed in the appendix the same engines used in many of Elmers designs, dimentionally?

Chuck

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: elmers engines and the Appendix
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 10:21:09 PM »
Chuck, they are the same as a few of the engines which use either the "F" or "M" type cylinder. In other cases the basic cylinder design is the same but may differ on the length dimension, And of course many of Elmer's engines do not use either of these two basic types of  cylinders shown in the appendix. So the answer is a mixed bag. If you were thinking of casting the basic "F" and "M" type cylinders, then just thumbing through the book I would say they would only match maybe 5-6 of the engines dimension for dimension. With a little more time I could give you a more difinitiive answer but this will be close.

Bill

Online Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
Re: elmers engines and the Appendix
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 10:38:24 PM »
IMHO it is clearly stated that this information is a used reused proven starting place to design your own engines.
Tin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal