Author Topic: This going to get interesting Grand Kids project  (Read 9528 times)

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
This going to get interesting Grand Kids project
« on: November 15, 2013, 03:14:48 PM »
To put you the picture our two GK's both girls ( daughter stated her family late ) eldest is 9 youngest 7

well they came over to see us and I showed them the McOnine running, to think its not a doll ore a boy group bed sheet I was surprised at their interest  :pink elephant:

well number 1 daughter in formed me that GK 1 has said I would like to make a engine like Granddad,s  not to bet left out GK number 2 pipes up I want to make one as well,

well they are both to young to be let loose with a mill or a lathe  so my plan is to get a couple of unmachined kits  from GS Suppplies and do the machining prove the jobs a good un take them to bit and let them put them together , what the thoughts on this

the kits are quite cheap ( £20 ) so not a lot of investment but the come with all the bits

If thing do not get to chaotic during the assembly phase I will try am get some pics

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: This going to get interesting Grand Kids project
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 03:53:08 PM »
That sounds like a fine idea to me Stuart. At those ages their interests can change rapidly but you never know when that "mechanical interest" seed may take hold either. You could well have a future engineer between them :)

Bill

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 02:00:44 AM »
Great Idea.............................Now if I could only separate my grandson from his smart phone.......................(next step C4 in the opposite ear).

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 07:47:51 AM »
It is a great idea, reckon you could do the same from your scrap box and save yourself £20 but I know it's more convenient!

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 08:25:20 AM »
thanks guys

yes I could have got the bits from the said box but for this price I am getting a nice alum casting , were I think a boy would be happy with a bar stock one girls do think differently ( at this age ,sorry Jo ) 

Will let you know how its gets on , got to clean the decks William Armstrong on back burner this project is priority 1

Stuart
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 12:30:56 PM by Lordedmond »

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 10:52:21 AM »
Great approach Stuart!   set the hook!....maybe they'll want more info and detail later.... :LittleDevil:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 10:57:11 AM »
Well here is what I got for my money  now a small amount of machining , the careful work will be the drilling of the ports in the upright 14 deg either side of the vertical

note with this simple kit you get the bar stock and all the fixings springs ect even the alan key for the grub screw, as well as the drawing of course you also get a set of construction note with notes on the setups, IMHO not a bad bag of bits for £20 guess what it was not from Reeves  :mischief:

Stuart
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 11:04:38 AM by Lordedmond »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 07:23:10 PM »
Nice little project Stuart,I am still trying to get my grandson interested. I believe I have one on the hook so far. Keep plugging and a great project for starters. I will be following you.  :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 10:16:45 AM »
I have to agree!   Great starter project....short, sweet and too the point.....hmmmmmmm.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 12:07:19 PM »
Got a little done today but as I have a couple of weeks grace I can take my time pics to follow

found one error on the drawings screw in the flywheel was labeled 2BA that had been crossed of and amended to 6MM but they have supplied a 5MM grub screw , good job I work in metric and the wrong size grub screw stood out like a sore thumb, so no boo bo's

as for the die cast parts they are very good and are on size the holes only needed reaming to bring to size

Stuart

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 02:27:05 PM »
These look to be very nice little kits Stuart. I am looking forward to the pictures, especially once the GK's begin assembly :)

Bill

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 02:43:11 PM »
pics

uprights with fly wheels and crank

another view

yes thats the plan it could be chaotic tho they are used to Barbie Dolls but it will be a simple assembly job I do not want them to get bogged down and loose interest
the plan is to take my air brush comp with me with a manifold to bleed off the air to let them see them run

Stuart

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 07:46:38 PM »
Nice 1 Stuart, didn't realise you got castings for that price, looks a decent started kit.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 02:49:54 PM »
Well we have two runners, just need to make a base for each, not sure do I paint the base satin black or Pink maybe Jo could advise  :ROFL:

I will post a pic before I dismantle them for the assembly by the two girls and yes I will get some pics

Stuart

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 03:01:30 PM »
That's great news Stuart...as to color choices...maybe let the girls decide for themselves :)

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal