Author Topic: This going to get interesting Grand Kids project  (Read 9498 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: This going to get interesting Grand Kids project
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 03:28:38 PM »
not sure do I paint the base satin black or Pink maybe Jo could advise  :ROFL:

:thinking: What ever colour you pick, if they are different, one GK want the one the other colour. I would go for something that Mum will let be left out on the side with a subtile difference between them to prevent arguments as to which is whose. Lighter colours are better for small engines. The Lada cream actually didn't look bad on the Oscillator I made.

As Bill said maybe they should be let loose with a paint brush on Xmas day, smooth hammerite brushed on will be dry enough to handle within an hour and think of what Mum will think when the girls cover themselves in it  :pinkelephant:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 04:07:12 PM »
They will have to be done ( assembled this Saturday ) its the eldest  birthday , yes its and expensive time of the year

as for paint you should see there pine scrubbed top table jacobs coat has nothing on it

a painting sesión may be in order have to seed what DD wants to do

this is my reward for showing them the McOnine and getting I ( we ) what to build a engine like grandpa  one is 9 the other 7  DD was a late starter two marriages and one toy boy , but now they have there own business Stuart ( not me the SIL ) has just bought a new boxster S Porche or some such thing ( I will stick with our BMW much more comfy )

I will get some pics of the two new engineers later

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 03:35:56 PM »
Agree BMW is more comfy and the ultimate driving machine! Call me old fashioned but I'd stick to traditional
Colours for the engines!!!

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 10:24:46 AM »
a couple of pics before I take them down for the assembly , I have made a couple of bases out of that brown stuff , but as to the paint for the engines I am going to let them decide

they both run well , yes they are simple but they will serve the purpose , I say simple the setup on the rotary table to drill the ports was not .

two ports at 17mm pcd displaced 14 Deg either side of the centre line with the shaft and the pivot

an interesting analogy Kit £20  lathe £9k mill £1.5K   150 mm rotary table say £200 and Drills and Reamers

Stuart

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2013, 09:15:26 AM »
well The day arrived

Let the construction begin just a couple of the engineers at work

Eldest at work

closely followed by her sister

Two and a bit engineers with engines  ( Now you can see I was known as Granddad Santa  :old: )

well that concludes this little project both engines where test run and both performed well and we have two happy Grand Kids

Jo standby we may have some competition for you in the future   :cartwheel:

Stuart

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2013, 11:43:39 AM »
Jolly good, well done to all.  :ThumbsUp: My grand children have not shown any interest as yet, although when my younger daughter was in her teens she was known to go down to the cellar to solder her earrings back together.
Best regards

Roger

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2013, 12:51:24 PM »
Jo standby we may have some competition for you in the future   :cartwheel:

Stuart

:ThumbsUp: The more the merrier. I can say that doing (Systems) engineering for a living has been wonderful and would recommend it as a career option to anyone. The best bit is they pay us to have fun  :cartwheel:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2013, 01:30:35 PM »
Really wonderful pictures Stuart. Those are something that they can cherish for a lifetime.

Jo...back when I graduated, they gad just added the "systems" name to industrial engineering. No I think they have dropped the "industrial" part and just gone to systems engineering. I agree though it is a great field and as you say, now I get paid to have fun and teach others to have fun as well.

Bill

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2013, 01:48:02 PM »
What a great bonding moment!
 Great pic's, I think you should have one of the pic's of you & the GK's framed & put in the shop.
when you have a bad day in the shop, look at the picture & it will make things better.

John

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2013, 02:20:14 PM »
Thanks for the comments yes it will be a moment to look back on, Linda took 53 pics during the assembly
I will now let the lead come from them

Stuart

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2013, 03:16:17 AM »
Stuart looks like they were really into the projects. It's a good feeling to see them interested and enjoying themselves. Some great bonding time and they will always remember it.

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal