Author Topic: My space  (Read 32886 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: My space
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2014, 08:27:55 AM »
A bit more experimenting. I have a fly cutter with a MT3 shank and needed to make a new shank to fit the milling head. This had what appeared to be a 5/8 x 16TPI thread so my first screw cutting on the Hobbymat. The slow speed attachment made this reasonably easy, but I was surprised just how far it ran on after the stop button was pressed  :o.

The original milling table for the Hobbymat is aluminium and can be found from time to time on Ebay. I decided to adapt a Unimat milling table from RC to fit and can than stack a larger Sieg table on top to machine the base of my horizontal engine. With careful adjustment and locking of the slides and light (0.1mm) cuts it works.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2014, 09:05:46 AM »
Thant's the first time the slow speed attachment has been really used on her  8)

Pleased it worked but as you say there is no braking on the spindle  :shrug:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2014, 07:20:30 PM »
I also used the slow speed attachment when turning the 125mm flywheel for the horizontal engine. The belts whine a bit but it certainly does the job  :cheers:
Best regards

Roger

Offline ttrikalin

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 02:18:06 AM »
nice machines, and nice use of space.
bravo.
take care,

tom in MA

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2014, 06:37:25 PM »
As I have been building up my workshop I have not found it easy finding suitable, affordable, small machine vices. I started with a small Proxxon die cast vice, then moved onto a small cast vice with separate steel jaws. This was better but still not so accurate. I then got an all steel vice that was more accurate but not so rigid. Finally is saw a reasonably good offer on a 'precision' machine vice. Everything is flat and square to the accuracy of my measuring equipment, and having sawn and milled a couple of clamps out of a large piece of 'rust' it's ready to go  :whoohoo:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2014, 06:51:19 PM »
Having just made an adaptor to use my Proxxon drill as a tapping guide I rescued this from the scrap skip.  ::) It's a bit bigger than I need, 10mm chuck, the main column is 40mm diameter, but a fine piece of Swiss engineering.
Best regards

Roger

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2014, 12:46:47 AM »
The scrap skip??? Hugh.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2014, 01:12:07 PM »
Roger, sounds like a case for making some sort of spindle brake to slow things down a bit quicker.
                                            Ian S C

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2014, 07:24:09 AM »
Ian, this is what I had just made, utilising the base and column from my drill, but I couldn't leave the other one in the skip. My employer is currently implementing 5S so you have to keep your eyes open  ;) .
Best regards

Roger

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2014, 07:35:47 AM »
My employer is currently implementing 5S

:facepalm: And in a few months they will have to repurchase half the stuff they got rid of.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2014, 09:00:37 AM »
Hi Roger,
Sounds like S5 is a disease that's spreading faster than a scolded cat can run! Got it going thru work too....already people aren't finding stuff they use to have! Not sure if it was on this forum but some of the guys have done very well for workshop tools! Unfortunately I'm not going to be one of them!! Just wish I could find useful stuff in skips like you found!

Jo, I have an old friend who's mantra (well one of them) is " the high cost of saving money" it looks like S5 fits this very well
Cheers Kerrin

Get excited and make something!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2014, 06:53:51 PM »
I actually support the principle of 5S. The problem is that it is almost always implemented by a bunch of new guys who don't understand that some jobs are only carried out every 5 years or so and get rid of the special jigs/tools. Once it gets settled (before the next new fad comes along) it actually works.
Best regards

Roger

Offline rockknocker

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2014, 05:42:26 AM »
Ugh, 5S. Yes, as Roger points out the idea of a clean workplace is a good one but like almost every corporate policy it gets taken too far or applied where it aught not be.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2014, 01:25:36 PM »
Don't know if it was 5S but where my nephew was working at the Caterpillar agents and overhaul workshop, someone got the idea of a clean out of all the bits and pieces under, and on the work benches,  they bought in a skip, all the junk went in the skip, then all the junk came out of the skip, and everyone went home with great piles of goodies.  I got a number of Cat branded lubricants, cans of paint (black, but no yellow), and a pile of Loctite products.
                                                 Ian S C

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2014, 06:02:50 PM »
I tend to be a skip digger. The timing gears on my horizontal engine and the double universal joint shaft (I just found out how much they cost when I was trying to find the maximum speed  :o ) connecting the dynamo to my vertical engine were both skip rescues from my previous employer.
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal