Author Topic: My space  (Read 32876 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: My space
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2016, 09:08:44 PM »
My employer is changing part of the workshop stores over to a Kardex system so a load of the old plastic bins were available at 50 Rappen (pence, cents, all much the same at the moment  ::) ) each. I bought 32 and used them to rearrange my raw materials storage. I also bought a selection of tool racks from Conrad to keep the common tools near to where they are used.
The actual locations will be optimised with use, but at least everything is much more visible (no more buying something I already have  :headscratch: )
Best regards

Roger

Offline Hans

• Commonwealth of Kentucky, USA
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2016, 12:00:23 AM »
Nice score Roger. Very tidy and well organized.

How are you liking the BF400 mill?

~Hans

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2016, 03:18:08 AM »
Hi Roger, do you have the keys for your neigbours cellar boxes also ?
I could imagine that sometimes some things or tools are trying to escape to the other side of the fence.
Well organised.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2016, 05:46:01 AM »
Roger,

I just had an enjoyable time reading back through your thread. Good score on the shelving. I like what you've done with your space!  :ThumbsUp:

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2016, 01:30:26 PM »
Thank you all  :ThumbsUp:

I am very happy with the milling head. This is from TECO who currently manufacture the Hobbymat lathe. The column does not seem to have the play and stick/slip that Jo's Saupe(?) badged version does. The lathe slideways don't have the bearing area of a true milling machine but as long as you are cautious with depth of cut and feed rate it works well. If I had the space I would happily buy the milling table to go with it.

None of us lock the inividual boxes but I haven't had any escapees yet. There is a valve spring collar from my horizontal engine somewhere in my bit  ::) I found the spring in the bag I keep my electric drill in, but even after the sort out no sign of the collar  :headscratch:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 07:49:42 PM by Roger B »
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2017, 07:11:01 AM »
Having thought for a while and asked a few questions I decided to add a Proxxon MF70 micro mill to my collection. It is small, it is low powered, it is high speed and it seems to work with the Proxxon cutters. It also fits into it's space on the shelf  :)
I am already thinking of a few modifications/improvements. These will appear in a separate thread.
Best regards

Roger

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2017, 07:51:10 AM »
Hi Roger, I am sure it will be very helpful if you will use it carefully.
You will save a lot of time, if you do not need to change the set up on your lathe for any small milling operation.

Kind Regards
Achim

Offline paul gough

• Tropical Queensland, Australia
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2017, 10:13:33 AM »
Hi Roger, I have been thinking about one of these little mills as I need something appropriate to mill out the cavity on very very small slide valves and cut the ports which are under 1.5mm. There seems to be a reasonable range of different carbide end mills with 3mm shank dia available here in Australia, so I expect you Europeans would be spoilt rotten with choice and price. I recently had to pay $25 (Australian) for a HSS 1.5mm ball nose from a local supplier! Please let us know how the machine performs for you. Regards, Paul Gough.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2019, 08:12:25 PM »
My employer was having another clear out. Most of the stuff was too big for me but I found a few (hopefully) useful pieces. A set of radius gauges from 1 to 7 mm, MT 1 and MT2 gauges and a variety of plug gauges in my size ranges  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2019, 11:31:44 PM »
I got  a few radius gauge sets in spring, so I'm covered from 1-25mm. and they have been rather helpful on a number of occasions already - so I will not be surprised if you find use for them too  :ThumbsUp: + what is it about having too many tools  :thinking:  :old:

Enjoy them Roger  :cheers:

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2020, 07:05:33 PM »
I have been fairly quiet on here recently as we are moving apartments. The cellar in the new place is bigger but as we no longer have an attic it has to be shared with a few more things. I am trying to achieve an efficient layout including fixing plywood/MDF sheets in suitable places for tool racks so I don't have to keep drilling into concrete walls. More pictures as things progress.
Best regards

Roger

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2020, 08:31:25 PM »
what is it about having too many tools  :thinking:  :old:

Is that a thing, too many tools?  :hellno:

No, no such thing.  >:D

New workspace is shaping up nicely Roger.  :ThumbsUp:
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2020, 08:56:06 PM »
I have been fairly quiet on here recently as we are moving apartments. The cellar in the new place is bigger but as we no longer have an attic it has to be shared with a few more things. I am trying to achieve an efficient layout including fixing plywood/MDF sheets in suitable places for tool racks so I don't have to keep drilling into concrete walls. More pictures as things progress.

It must be fun to set up a workshop from scratch. Cleaver idea to line some of the walls with plywood/ MDF. Are you proposing to put some insulation foam behind the wood sheets?
Do you have heating in the new cellar space, to make it as all year round workshop?

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2020, 07:56:34 PM »
Thank you both  :)

This is not quite a set up from scratch, I have a space and I have existing things to go in it however it has been fun playing with layouts  :) Due to the fact that we have moved to an apartment complex over the local shopping centre the cellar is actually on the first floor and is adequately heated. I will have to be careful about noise transmission but there are two washrooms in the same area so I can blame the noise on them  ::)

A few things are in place now but still more to be done. Some time before I can start making things again but the living area and cleaning out the old apartment come first  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2020, 08:12:18 PM »
Everyone needs a 'Man Cave' to go to from time to time, somewhere to be creative

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal