Author Topic: My space  (Read 32884 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
My space
« on: November 10, 2013, 05:09:16 PM »
Here are a few pictures of my workshop. Its a partitioned off section of the communal cellar in our apartment block. I have a mini lathe, a 16mm variable speed bench drill, a grinder and a Proxxon TBM220 drill modified for light milling.
The space is shared with my HO model railway.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:11:33 AM by Roger B »
Best regards

Roger

Offline ttrikalin

Re: My space
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 06:08:39 PM »
 :AllHailTheKing:
That's excellent! Good organization -- and good shop.
I tried to do something like that in my previous residence, but was not allowed by the other units...

t
take care,

tom in MA

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 08:39:08 PM »
Very tidy and organised. the engines look excellent as well

regards
peter

Offline AlasdairM

• Suffolk (UK)
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 10:13:34 PM »
Looks very well planned and organised - congrats.
I'm intrigued by how your rail layout is stored - any chance of more pics to show how it gets set up and put away again?
Regards, Alasdair
New to model engineering but loving it!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 10:43:50 PM »
Nice looking shop. Very neat.

I'm intrigued by how your rail layout is stored - any chance of more pics to show how it gets set up and put away again?

Exactly what I was thinking.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

nevadablue

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 04:22:54 AM »
Very nice indeed.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 06:51:45 PM »
This is how the railway is stored. Turn it round and fold down the legs, lift it up and bolt into place, fit the castle and backscene. Then put on the rolling stock, model cars etc. and play.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 07:18:32 PM »
Whenever I see a workshop on a forum I think I'd better store and organize mine, there is so much good ideas here to start!
Ha ha, I see a 4 stroke engine on a bench, almost ready for testing...

Offline AlasdairM

• Suffolk (UK)
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 09:01:54 AM »
This is how the railway is stored. Turn it round and fold down the legs, lift it up and bolt into place, fit the castle and backscene. Then put on the rolling stock, model cars etc. and play.

Many thanks for the explanation and pics - very neat indeed  :ThumbsUp:

Regards, A
New to model engineering but loving it!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 08:19:44 PM »
A new arrival  :)
I have a lot to learn about it's (her?) little foibles. The longer cross slide travel would make machining the crankpin on my current crankshaft easier, but my Keats is too big for the faceplate  :noidea:
At least both are liftable on and off the bench and the next step is the milling head for the Hobbymat, a great step forward from the milling slide on the lathe  :ThumbsUp: . At last gravity will keep things on the table rather than causing them to fall off  ;)
Best regards

Roger

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 08:33:15 PM »
Hi Roger, congratulation to your new "Baby".
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 04:57:21 PM »
I've sorted out the storage for whichever lathe is not in use. Raise the bottom shelf, a piece of ply with 4 castors and slide it away.
Best regards

Roger

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 05:15:16 PM »
Nice solution for saving space. That lathe looks weighty though...just be careful lifting and lowering it.

Bill

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 05:59:54 PM »
Both lathes weigh 44kg so not too bad to lift. The Hobbymat is harder to balance due to the movable cover over the belts, but if I'm feeling fit one hand under the bed by the chuck works well.

On the first few cuts the Hobbymat feels much more rigid than the Chinese one and is much more powerful at low speeds due to the belt reduction drive. When I was lapping the horizontal engine cylinder on the Chinese lathe at low speeds if it grabbed I could stall the drive with my hand.
Best regards

Roger

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 08:56:12 AM »
I like your innovative and efficient use of space and the way you have your model railway set up. I have lots of engines, cars, tracks, buildings, etc., but haven't even looked at them for many years until just recently. I should put something together so they can roll again. The scenery you have reminds me a bit of some parts of Germany where my father was born and grew up in the 1920s - Urphar and Wertheim.

Offline RickBarnes

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 02:30:01 PM »
Is that a shop, or an operating room?  Seriously, you have a neat way of storing in a small space.  And you keep things very clean.  I could learn a lot from a guy like you.  Not sure how many times I would like to lift near 100 pounds up and down, but I like the storage method.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 07:35:46 PM »
Paul,

The scenery on my railway is (very) loosely based around the Black Forest area of south western Germany.

Rick,

I am working in part of a communal Swiss cellar so I have to keep things clean. Treading sharp swarf around or leaving oily door handles  is simply not acceptable here. Sometimes things are not so neat here ( see Frustrating day) but generally everything has to be clean and tidy  ;)
Best regards

Roger

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 07:49:47 PM »
I'd missed this (even though I'd asked for more pics).

Thanks!

Looks great and you've given me some neat ideas.
Enjoy the lathe!
"To work. To work."

Offline RickBarnes

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 11:18:58 PM »
Explain this communal cellar?  This is your room that is part of a larger cellar?  Americans aren't very communal.  Can't hardly get us to carpool.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 11:36:40 PM »
If it's the same as I remember...

Think of an apartment building with a basement. Everyone has their own apartment but everyone can go into the basement. The basement (ours anyway) was divided into 'stalls'. Each stall was walled by wire mesh and had doors with locks. So only you could go into your 'stall' but everyone could see what was in your 'stall'.

But that was years and years ago. My grandfather's apartment building was that way in Munich.
Ours in Goeppingen was the same.
As a kid, a friend and I would play with chemistry sets in the 'communal basement'. Managed to concoct something that produced such a smell it emptied the apartment building. These days...you'd spend time in juvenile. Back then...you got the "It's just kids! Dumb kids!. Don't do that again."...with laughter.

Zero-tolerance has problems.
"To work. To work."

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 07:44:53 AM »
Rick,

Carl is correct. The wooden slats are the 'walls' to my neighbours sections of the cellar. That is why there is a piece of hardboard (Masonite?) by the bench drill to stop the swarf going through. There are three sections in this part of the cellar and three in the nuclear bunker.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 12:06:55 PM by Roger B »
Best regards

Roger

Offline RickBarnes

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 08:07:10 AM »
There are probably buildings like that here, but I've never been in one.  My apartment experience is limited to one building you locked the door and stayed in your apartment.  Anything not locked up or in your line of sight would be gone.  Well great use of a small space. 

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2014, 05:50:59 PM »
Part of the plan for the Hobbymat was to buy the matching mill drill head. This arrived yesterday from the Czech Republic and was eagerly unpacked and inspected. It all seem as expected and was packed in a very solid wooden box (thank you to the upstairs neighbour who helped the delivery driver carry it into the cellar  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: ). It fitted straight into the bracket on the lathe and then I had the fun of trueing it all up.

Initially I tried to true up the column against an angle plate on the cross slide and then tramed the head against the lathe bed. I got to around + 0.02mm and left it at that until everything had seen some vibration and I would recheck/readjust.

I made up a temporary drawbar for the ER25 chuck and made the first cuts on a piece of scrap. Everything was much quieter and smoother than milling on the vertical slide of the Chinese lathe (with it's point contact slideways). Unfortunately I don't yet have a 28mm spanner to hold the body of the ER chuck so the cutter started to migrate out as expected.

All in all a good start  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2014, 06:12:47 PM »
That should give you a lot of enjoyment. Nice.

(thank you to the upstairs neighbour who helped the delivery driver carry it into the cellar uieter and smoother than milling on the vertical

Until he hears all the noise  :lolb:
"To work. To work."

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2014, 06:20:08 PM »
Don't forget that the Hobbymat collet chuck will fit on the nose of the mill and will take cutters up to 1/2" ;)

I am interested to know if yours suffers with "drop" / wobble as I showed you on mine and if it does how you over come it.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 07:25:44 PM »
Carl, actually it was a she that helped  :-[ .

Jo, That freeplay/wobble doesn't exist. There isn't any adjustment that I can see, but when I was setting it up there was no movement (or less than 0.01mm) in rotation around the column.

I also got with it the expected hex keys, a 8 and 10 mm spanner and a Stanley screwdriver  :)

I remember what you said about the Hobbymat chuck and have also identified what the collets are but probably won't play with it until I get back from China in a couple of weeks. Any time tomorrow will be spent on trying to run the vertical engine if the weather lets me (21C on Friday, 8C today, possible snow tomorrow  :insane: )
Best regards

Roger

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2014, 07:58:46 PM »
Carl, actually it was a she that helped  :-[ .

In my mind I thought to write "he/she" but that was followed by "nah. what's the chance?".
I know better than that.  ;D

Make a little something and gift it to her. More help, if needed, will follow.
"To work. To work."

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2014, 09:31:19 PM »
Roger

Another toy to play with.  That is nice.  But then you said it is going to snow tomorrow.  I could not believe it so went to check and yes it is forecast to snow tomorrow in Zurich.  Just my luck!  Hope I won't have a hard time in Zurich tomorrow.

Vince

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2014, 09:36:26 PM »
There won't be enough snow here to cause problems, but I won't want to be standing in front of the garage trying to start my vertical engine  ;)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2014, 06:32:12 PM »
I've had a bit more time to play with the milling head. It's so much more rigid than trying to use the vertical slide on the mini lathe. With a 12mm end mill it was quite happy squaring off some 25 x 25 x 3 angle iron at 560 rpm. 1120 rpm worked, but was a bit too fast.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2014, 08:27:55 AM »
A bit more experimenting. I have a fly cutter with a MT3 shank and needed to make a new shank to fit the milling head. This had what appeared to be a 5/8 x 16TPI thread so my first screw cutting on the Hobbymat. The slow speed attachment made this reasonably easy, but I was surprised just how far it ran on after the stop button was pressed  :o.

The original milling table for the Hobbymat is aluminium and can be found from time to time on Ebay. I decided to adapt a Unimat milling table from RC to fit and can than stack a larger Sieg table on top to machine the base of my horizontal engine. With careful adjustment and locking of the slides and light (0.1mm) cuts it works.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2014, 09:05:46 AM »
Thant's the first time the slow speed attachment has been really used on her  8)

Pleased it worked but as you say there is no braking on the spindle  :shrug:

Jo

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2014, 07:20:30 PM »
I also used the slow speed attachment when turning the 125mm flywheel for the horizontal engine. The belts whine a bit but it certainly does the job  :cheers:
Best regards

Roger

Offline ttrikalin

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 02:18:06 AM »
nice machines, and nice use of space.
bravo.
take care,

tom in MA

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2014, 06:37:25 PM »
As I have been building up my workshop I have not found it easy finding suitable, affordable, small machine vices. I started with a small Proxxon die cast vice, then moved onto a small cast vice with separate steel jaws. This was better but still not so accurate. I then got an all steel vice that was more accurate but not so rigid. Finally is saw a reasonably good offer on a 'precision' machine vice. Everything is flat and square to the accuracy of my measuring equipment, and having sawn and milled a couple of clamps out of a large piece of 'rust' it's ready to go  :whoohoo:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2014, 06:51:19 PM »
Having just made an adaptor to use my Proxxon drill as a tapping guide I rescued this from the scrap skip.  ::) It's a bit bigger than I need, 10mm chuck, the main column is 40mm diameter, but a fine piece of Swiss engineering.
Best regards

Roger

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2014, 12:46:47 AM »
The scrap skip??? Hugh.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2014, 01:12:07 PM »
Roger, sounds like a case for making some sort of spindle brake to slow things down a bit quicker.
                                            Ian S C

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2014, 07:24:09 AM »
Ian, this is what I had just made, utilising the base and column from my drill, but I couldn't leave the other one in the skip. My employer is currently implementing 5S so you have to keep your eyes open  ;) .
Best regards

Roger

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2014, 07:35:47 AM »
My employer is currently implementing 5S

:facepalm: And in a few months they will have to repurchase half the stuff they got rid of.

Jo

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2014, 09:00:37 AM »
Hi Roger,
Sounds like S5 is a disease that's spreading faster than a scolded cat can run! Got it going thru work too....already people aren't finding stuff they use to have! Not sure if it was on this forum but some of the guys have done very well for workshop tools! Unfortunately I'm not going to be one of them!! Just wish I could find useful stuff in skips like you found!

Jo, I have an old friend who's mantra (well one of them) is " the high cost of saving money" it looks like S5 fits this very well
Cheers Kerrin

Get excited and make something!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2014, 06:53:51 PM »
I actually support the principle of 5S. The problem is that it is almost always implemented by a bunch of new guys who don't understand that some jobs are only carried out every 5 years or so and get rid of the special jigs/tools. Once it gets settled (before the next new fad comes along) it actually works.
Best regards

Roger

Offline rockknocker

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2014, 05:42:26 AM »
Ugh, 5S. Yes, as Roger points out the idea of a clean workplace is a good one but like almost every corporate policy it gets taken too far or applied where it aught not be.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2014, 01:25:36 PM »
Don't know if it was 5S but where my nephew was working at the Caterpillar agents and overhaul workshop, someone got the idea of a clean out of all the bits and pieces under, and on the work benches,  they bought in a skip, all the junk went in the skip, then all the junk came out of the skip, and everyone went home with great piles of goodies.  I got a number of Cat branded lubricants, cans of paint (black, but no yellow), and a pile of Loctite products.
                                                 Ian S C

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2014, 06:02:50 PM »
I tend to be a skip digger. The timing gears on my horizontal engine and the double universal joint shaft (I just found out how much they cost when I was trying to find the maximum speed  :o ) connecting the dynamo to my vertical engine were both skip rescues from my previous employer.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2016, 09:08:44 PM »
My employer is changing part of the workshop stores over to a Kardex system so a load of the old plastic bins were available at 50 Rappen (pence, cents, all much the same at the moment  ::) ) each. I bought 32 and used them to rearrange my raw materials storage. I also bought a selection of tool racks from Conrad to keep the common tools near to where they are used.
The actual locations will be optimised with use, but at least everything is much more visible (no more buying something I already have  :headscratch: )
Best regards

Roger

Offline Hans

• Commonwealth of Kentucky, USA
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2016, 12:00:23 AM »
Nice score Roger. Very tidy and well organized.

How are you liking the BF400 mill?

~Hans

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2016, 03:18:08 AM »
Hi Roger, do you have the keys for your neigbours cellar boxes also ?
I could imagine that sometimes some things or tools are trying to escape to the other side of the fence.
Well organised.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2016, 05:46:01 AM »
Roger,

I just had an enjoyable time reading back through your thread. Good score on the shelving. I like what you've done with your space!  :ThumbsUp:

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2016, 01:30:26 PM »
Thank you all  :ThumbsUp:

I am very happy with the milling head. This is from TECO who currently manufacture the Hobbymat lathe. The column does not seem to have the play and stick/slip that Jo's Saupe(?) badged version does. The lathe slideways don't have the bearing area of a true milling machine but as long as you are cautious with depth of cut and feed rate it works well. If I had the space I would happily buy the milling table to go with it.

None of us lock the inividual boxes but I haven't had any escapees yet. There is a valve spring collar from my horizontal engine somewhere in my bit  ::) I found the spring in the bag I keep my electric drill in, but even after the sort out no sign of the collar  :headscratch:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 07:49:42 PM by Roger B »
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2017, 07:11:01 AM »
Having thought for a while and asked a few questions I decided to add a Proxxon MF70 micro mill to my collection. It is small, it is low powered, it is high speed and it seems to work with the Proxxon cutters. It also fits into it's space on the shelf  :)
I am already thinking of a few modifications/improvements. These will appear in a separate thread.
Best regards

Roger

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2017, 07:51:10 AM »
Hi Roger, I am sure it will be very helpful if you will use it carefully.
You will save a lot of time, if you do not need to change the set up on your lathe for any small milling operation.

Kind Regards
Achim

Offline paul gough

• Tropical Queensland, Australia
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2017, 10:13:33 AM »
Hi Roger, I have been thinking about one of these little mills as I need something appropriate to mill out the cavity on very very small slide valves and cut the ports which are under 1.5mm. There seems to be a reasonable range of different carbide end mills with 3mm shank dia available here in Australia, so I expect you Europeans would be spoilt rotten with choice and price. I recently had to pay $25 (Australian) for a HSS 1.5mm ball nose from a local supplier! Please let us know how the machine performs for you. Regards, Paul Gough.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2019, 08:12:25 PM »
My employer was having another clear out. Most of the stuff was too big for me but I found a few (hopefully) useful pieces. A set of radius gauges from 1 to 7 mm, MT 1 and MT2 gauges and a variety of plug gauges in my size ranges  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2019, 11:31:44 PM »
I got  a few radius gauge sets in spring, so I'm covered from 1-25mm. and they have been rather helpful on a number of occasions already - so I will not be surprised if you find use for them too  :ThumbsUp: + what is it about having too many tools  :thinking:  :old:

Enjoy them Roger  :cheers:

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2020, 07:05:33 PM »
I have been fairly quiet on here recently as we are moving apartments. The cellar in the new place is bigger but as we no longer have an attic it has to be shared with a few more things. I am trying to achieve an efficient layout including fixing plywood/MDF sheets in suitable places for tool racks so I don't have to keep drilling into concrete walls. More pictures as things progress.
Best regards

Roger

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2020, 08:31:25 PM »
what is it about having too many tools  :thinking:  :old:

Is that a thing, too many tools?  :hellno:

No, no such thing.  >:D

New workspace is shaping up nicely Roger.  :ThumbsUp:
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2020, 08:56:06 PM »
I have been fairly quiet on here recently as we are moving apartments. The cellar in the new place is bigger but as we no longer have an attic it has to be shared with a few more things. I am trying to achieve an efficient layout including fixing plywood/MDF sheets in suitable places for tool racks so I don't have to keep drilling into concrete walls. More pictures as things progress.

It must be fun to set up a workshop from scratch. Cleaver idea to line some of the walls with plywood/ MDF. Are you proposing to put some insulation foam behind the wood sheets?
Do you have heating in the new cellar space, to make it as all year round workshop?

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2020, 07:56:34 PM »
Thank you both  :)

This is not quite a set up from scratch, I have a space and I have existing things to go in it however it has been fun playing with layouts  :) Due to the fact that we have moved to an apartment complex over the local shopping centre the cellar is actually on the first floor and is adequately heated. I will have to be careful about noise transmission but there are two washrooms in the same area so I can blame the noise on them  ::)

A few things are in place now but still more to be done. Some time before I can start making things again but the living area and cleaning out the old apartment come first  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2020, 08:12:18 PM »
Everyone needs a 'Man Cave' to go to from time to time, somewhere to be creative

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2020, 08:56:49 PM »
I will have to be careful about noise transmission but there are two washrooms in the same area so I can blame the noise on them  ::)

I do hope that the Washroom isn't limited to be used from 8:00 to 19:00 as where I lived before, if this is to be your excuse  ;) and how about running your engines ?

Nice to be on the same level as outside when moving stuff in and out though - and I do hope you will end up with a good solution  :cheers:

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2020, 01:34:48 AM »
Nice place you've got there Roger!
Kim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2020, 12:13:55 PM »
Thank you all for the comments  :ThumbsUp:

The cellar workshop is directly above the supermarket so noise during opening hours (8-20 closed on Sunday) shouldn't be a problem. There is nowhere I can see where I can weld so that will have to be done in the welding bay at work.
The R&D area is more of a problem. As long as I use silencers I can probably run the petrol engines on our road facing balcony. Until I get better combustion in the diesel and much less smoke I will need to use the welding bay at work (10-15mins walk).

The new apartment set up is quite interesting. It's in a village of around 14 000 people with a direct 1/2 hourly (1/4 hourly at peak times) rail link to Zürich. There are 54 apartments built in blocks of 6 above a shopping complex with a supermarket, chemist, optician and cafe. Parking is underground with two separate underground garages for the residents. There is a green space / play area on top of the shops which is surrounded by the cellars/laundry rooms. The apartments are then above these. We can push a shopping trolly from the cashier to the lift and then directly into the kitchen  :). The station is about 5 mins walk and there is a bus stop outside the door. Very much suited for car free living  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2020, 04:30:52 PM »
Nearly there now, the shelves need a bit more sorting but most things are in place.

Who still uses a proper cordless drill and round head black japanned screws?  :old:

I can now start on the first real engine job, sort out the electrics for the twin  :)  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2020, 04:35:03 PM »
I got on of thos drills around here someplace... have not used it in a long time since the 'motor' would get tired too soon!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2020, 03:19:20 PM »
As I no longer have the convenient wall outside the garage for engine testing I have bought a portable workbench so I can try out the underground garage, a bit dark, no power sockets but very good extraction or the balcony, may upset the neighbours without good silencing.

I hope it will be heavy enough to reduce the vibration  ::) There was a cheaper plastic version but I didn't think that it would cope.
Best regards

Roger

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2020, 08:41:21 PM »
Well you adjust to the circumstances and prevail (hopefully not a too loud engine)  :ThumbsUp:

I ended up buying a house 12 years ago, so I could do (almost) what I want to do  :D

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2022, 07:49:55 PM »
My employer is having another workshop clear out as we are consolidating in one site in the village. There were a few interesting bits, a set of PB ball ended hex keys, assorted polishing stones and some strange Swiss files. There were a couple of very short ones and one with two blank parallel sides 3.5mm wide and two cutting sides around 3.8mm wide. I guess it may be for finishing keyways  :headscratch:
The next batch had some 5mm long series drills, a new DuMont 3mm keyway broach  :) and a selection of milling cutters. I would guess that the Clarkson FC3 2mm endmills have been in a drawer for more than 20 years  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2022, 10:52:12 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Excellent acquisitions. I love acquiring tools (don't we all?) - but somehow acquiring good, used / lightly used tools at low cost is the best.

Sounds like an idea for a thread. "My latest (tool) score".

Your workshop looks grand Roger - superb organization.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2022, 01:19:46 AM »
Nice!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal