Author Topic: No, No this could be expensive!  (Read 16160 times)

fcheslop

Re: No, No this could be expensive!
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2013, 05:04:10 PM »
Hi Jo, the maintenance guys should have a clamp meter it maybe a different matter prizing it out of there hands.
cheers

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2013, 05:13:39 PM »
 :thinking: I have a clamp meter on my mains input for monitoring my power uasge.

Thanks Frazer  :ThumbsUp:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online sco

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2013, 08:16:19 PM »
So is the conclusion the lathe motor is fine and it's the box of tricks supplying three phase to the work shop that's on the fritz?

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 08:54:20 PM »
Yup, Hope to fix the three phase converter.. worse case buy another one  :(.

Jo

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 10:48:27 PM »
I hope you get things sorted out quickly Jo.

In the meantime I got stumped by this...

This morning I started japanning out the flywheel for the...

What is japanning?

Thanks
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
An ancient Asian variation of trepanning?
Best,
Stan

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 07:33:27 AM »
Thats when Jo lacquers the rust black ;)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 07:49:00 AM »
 :lolb: that's what happens when you are stressed out and all you can see is the moths trying to escape your purse.

Someone mentioned the idea of replacing this static converter with a VFD. Big no, no: VFDs are ok for machines with only one motor, such as the headstock of a lathe but this converter runs a total of 6 motors: 2 on the Colchester, 3 on the Harrison and my cutter grinder.

Just over another hour to find out the damage to the purse  :(

Jo

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 08:06:34 AM »
Jo

I would hazard a guess is the one are more of the caps have failed giving you two and a half phases else the motor would not have turned just hummed

My gut feeling is that a manufacture repair will get pricey PDQ

those moths will be happy to get out and fly about  >:D

hope you get it sorted

got our own problems to sort today NWB in there wisdom not have deemed our gold cards have been compromised and stopped both of they and changed the Acct. No. ( just after a purchase of a 5s , then because of that Linda had to use her visa card for the online shopping order guess what that did a wobbly and Nat west then blocked that one because I was in the room when Linda was talking to them , ( heck they are both joint Accts. ) so we are down to one plastic  :censored: :censored: :censored:

to top it all its Linda's XX ( dare not post it but she has had a bus pass for 7 years ) birthday today no chance of forgetting the date is there 11/11/xx

please let the collective know the out come of your  :zap: problem , it helps with the hives knowledge pool

Stuart 
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2013, 08:15:58 AM »
This morning I started japanning out the flywheel for the...

What is japanning?

Thanks

japanning was a hard black finishing process in lieu of paint. Not to be confused with trepanning of course  :Lol:

Jo, this magic transwave box thing is pretty cool. Hope it doesn't end up making too big a hole in your pocket  :o

Steve

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2013, 08:18:40 AM »
Thanks Stuart... I have been going over the history of this unit.. I paid £100 for it in about 1993, 20 years good service so I really can't complain.

Half of me is resigned to buying a new one and then seeing if I can get the old one fixed. That way I would have a spare converter for one of those other milling machines I see in my future  >:D

Jo

P.S. Sympathies on the cards... I took out a second credit card and always use that for food/fuel after I had mine first one hacked in London.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2013, 08:31:00 AM »
Jo

Its going to get spendy PDQ by the look of it at least you get a 3 year GT  better get those moths fed up well

http://www.powercaps.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/2011-TRANSWAVE-Prices-STC-MT-RT.pdf

not sure how much pongo you need tho for your multi machine set up I assume you transfer the machine by means of the plug/skt else the size of the unit would be quite big and require a large supply rail

I had to do a double take on the colour of the wiring to the motor two red and one black made me blink

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 08:51:52 AM »
Stuart: I have wired all three of the machines into a single 16A 3 phase plug which goes into the front of the transwave to avoid all the messing around with plugging/unplugging all the time.

That is the original Colchester wiring.. Haven't touched it, hopefully won't have to.

I thought I had found a cheaper supplier of these units then realised that the other company had not mentioned "plus VAT"  >:(.

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2013, 09:35:16 AM »
I have just spoken to the very, very, very nice man (Peter Moss) at Transwave and he could describe the fault to a Tee. He is laying bets it is the Contactor which is going to cost me £27 inc Vat & P&P. :whoohoo:

But it is not all plain sailing as the new contactors are much bigger than the old ones  :-\ so when it arrives on Friday I will have to do some metal bashing and it is important that the contactor goes the right way up with the wires top and bottom.

He also identified that my unit was made in March/April 1984, so she has paid for herself over and over. I also discovered that the unit I have is not the cheap one but the high powered one (necessary for high torque starts, like the colchester on high speed) which if I chose to replace it is £432.

Jo
---
(Busy cramming the moths back into my purse  ;))

Online sco

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2013, 09:39:07 AM »
Good news then, no reason not to spend the money you've saved on some more castings then  ;D

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal