Author Topic: DRO  (Read 1969 times)

Offline Noitoen

• Setúbal - Portugal
DRO
« on: October 31, 2013, 10:42:29 AM »
Hi

I have a simple 3 axis magnetic scale dro from Optimum, initially intended for my F45 mill. Since the axis can be configured to work on a lathe (show the diameter instead of travel), I intend to buy new scales for the mill and mount this unit on the lathe.

The question now is: Should I mount the 3rd. axis on the cross slide or the tailstock?

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: DRO
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 10:59:42 AM »
I have a 3 axis DRO on my large lathe and the third axis is on the top slide. The DRO box has only two display lines on which I can select the Z axis to display the saddle movement, the top slide movement or the combined movement of the saddle and top slide combined together. On such a large lathe (6 1/2" centre height) the fine movement available from the top slide is needed as you don't have the same feel on the saddle.

But be careful where you mount the scale. Mine fits nicely one the outside and does not get in the way, I have seen others mounted on the inside of the top slide.

I have never felt the need for a DRO on the tailstock as it already has a rule/measurements on the barrel and a vernier on its handle.

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal