Author Topic: The Answer To My Question On HMEM  (Read 8459 times)

Offline George_Race

• Magnetic Clock Build
    • Race Consulting
The Answer To My Question On HMEM
« on: July 24, 2012, 07:37:44 PM »
I am a new user here, have been on HMEM for a couple of years.  After watching and reading about all the commercial stuff going on there, I decided it was time to leave HMEM behind and move in another direction.

Whether right or wrong, I decided to delete all the posts I started from the site.  Big surprise, delete not enabled on all the old imported posts.   So, I wrote a short nicely worded request to "Austin" who is the administrator.  I simply ask, "Will you please delete all the posts that I  originated from the system?  Signed it "Thanks, George_Race"

That was a couple of hours ago.  Just went back to see if I had gotten any reply.  Strange, can't even find my request as listed above.  So I though I would make the request again, thinking I somehow blew it and it was not posted.

Tried to enter a post, no luck!  Tried to respond to one of my own post's, no luck!

Here is what comes up on the screen, no matter what I try to do.

I guess the means that I am no longer on HMEM!
The lesson learned here is, I guess you can't ask questions there without being punished!
I am now a renegade from HMEM!
George
Airplane Builder - Pilot
Ham Radio - WB8BGY
Retired - Having A Ball!

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
Re: The Answer To My Question On HMEM
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 07:57:53 PM »
Only one word describes it, SAD.
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

chuck foster

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 08:06:26 PM »
when i asked about deleting my account this is what i was told

Chuck,

I do not have the permissions to handle take down requests however I did close your account. Copyright issues need to be sent to our attorney here:

Copyright Agent - Group Builder, Inc.
PO Box 911
San Marcos, Texas 78667

i then replied that there was no copyright issues, i just wanted my postings removed and guess what..............he has never replied back  :wallbang:
so just to be a nice guy (you all know i am  :fos: ) i just went to photobucket and removed all my pictures. so now there is a bunch of postings that no longer have pictures.
might sound like i was being childish but they are my pictures and i for one will not have anything more to do with that site. there are allot of good guys still on that site and i hope and trust they will find their way here.

chuck

Offline Cedge

• Greenville, SC, USA
    • The Steam Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 08:12:17 PM »
George
I just peeked in on the post and it is still there, but Austin totally ignored it with no response. His toady, Rayanth responded for him saying that they don't want to chance having the OP's deleting their stuff, so the edit button is timed for use only with new posts. Also checked to see your status and it doesn't say anything about being banned.

Having watched events unfold, I've seen quite a number of posts deleted immediately and members being banned for asking pointed questions that didn't please Austin. I'm probably right on the edge of a ban for having asked for a few simple yes or no questions about the TOS. People are disappearing like it's a central american country. Austin played wordy semantics games and dodged artfully before simply locking the thread rather than giving answers.

The funny part was, two minutes later he was on PM trying to convince me we should be friends and allies. I suppose you can pretty much imagine the end results of that exchange. I've rescued a few of the new guys who were obviously passionate about the hobby, but it's been a somewhat selective process.

Steve
Steve

chuck foster

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 08:27:13 PM »
steve what does TOS stand for??? 

oh and good to see you here  :whoohoo:

chuck

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park. RSA
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 08:35:32 PM »
Hi,

I think you have realise most forums will not allow a member or ex-member to delete "their" posts, nor will they delete them for you it makes the threads nonsense and somewhat useless.
 :cheers:
DaveH

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park. RSA
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 08:42:40 PM »
TOS .............. Terms of Service

Terms of Use
Terms of Conditions

All mean pretty much the same in terms of forums.
 :cheers:
DaveH

chuck foster

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 08:51:16 PM »
thanks dave for the clarification, it took me a long time to figure out what LOL meant or this one  :ROFL:

chuck

Offline Cedge

• Greenville, SC, USA
    • The Steam Gallery
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 08:56:04 PM »
Chuck
TOS = terms of service.  The legal language used to control the masses.

DaveH
Their TOS does allow for requesting removal of content, but it is at their discretion, which means they aren't going to do it unless forced. He apparently didn't realize that most of us used outside storage for photos. For the first few days, it wasn't all that obvious that the photos were gone, but the trend has grown to where it's a little harder to miss. Since most of the major threads were heavily photo dependent, his supposedly purchased content is beginning to look a wee bit hollow.

I really don't think Austin and crew have ever encountered a group quite as independently minded as this one. The instantaneous mass migration seems to have caught them pretty much by surprise and they simply don't have any idea how or why they should react. These guys probably run a decent network when things transfer smoothly. However, it's pretty obvious from their heavy handed reactions that they really have no clue as to how this one could have gone so very badly.

Steve
Steve

Offline George_Race

• Magnetic Clock Build
    • Race Consulting
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 09:07:25 PM »
The saga continues!
Just tried to sign in to HMEM, I may not be banned, but to me what I saw is just as good.

Here is a picture of my attempt to sign in:

I have deleted my link to HMEM.......Hopefully will run into old friends here in the future.
George

Airplane Builder - Pilot
Ham Radio - WB8BGY
Retired - Having A Ball!

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 09:19:40 PM »
George,
I saw the message you posted and checked your profile to see that you had started 18 threads. It was a very short time after the last post you made and ALL the threads, posts and profile was gone.  :facepalm:

Now we know how to edit the posts before the change.  :LittleDevil:

I was really enjoying the clock build.

Dan

ShaylocoDan

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 09:41:42 PM »
George,
I just checked again and I can now see your profile.
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/members/george_race

Now I am confused but that is not new for me.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline George_Race

• Magnetic Clock Build
    • Race Consulting
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 10:39:45 PM »
Hi Dan, I am not going to worry about HMEM any more.  As far as I am concerned, they do not exist!  I deleted them from all my tabs as well.

I am going to continue the clock build, as well as do a bunch of other posts of project in process or finished.  All I need is a bit of time and i will get up to speed.

I need to rename all my pictures, but that means I will need to go modify a bunch of stuff on other sites.  I hate to do that but would like my pictures, which I host on my site, to no longer be seen on HMEM.
George
Airplane Builder - Pilot
Ham Radio - WB8BGY
Retired - Having A Ball!

Offline John S

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 10:50:06 PM »
George,
Read Bogs first post here.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,177.msg919.html#msg919

Very useful for doing the pictures.
John Stevenson, Nottingham , England

Offline jct842

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 07:36:52 AM »
I believe for most normal forums they have very little trouble taking over.  Now in the case of HMEM most of the posting members are very proud and rightfully so of their posted projects.  I have not been able yet to post pictures of any engines I have built, but if I had I would also have deleted as much of it as I could so that money grubbers did not profit on it.

Austin just has no idea of what the members feel about his efforts to cash in on their work.  (maybe by now he has a hint) 

As far as HMEM,   I believe I am done there as I do not ever want to be part of the problem.  john

john

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal