Author Topic: A visit to the Bluebell  (Read 3845 times)

Offline CliffH

A visit to the Bluebell
« on: October 30, 2013, 05:41:43 PM »
Dear all,
I've been trying for a while to post and to include a picture, so far without success, I know not why. Anyway, I'm going now to post just the text and see if that works...if it does, it'll look weird as it refers to a picture, and if it does there must perforce be summat amiss with the picture, although what, again, i know not since its a jpeg. Well, here goes:
Hello, all.
I visited the Bluebell in July on an extremely hot day (well, for England, anyway) and did this little sketch of one of their moguls (No. 1638) on the threshold of the shed entrance. I was standing just inside the shed looking out and armed with pencil and sketchbook.

I hope you like it.

Technically, the loco is Southern Railway tender passenger locomotive, class U 2-6-0 built at Ashford works in 1928 (we used to make things in UK in those far-off days). She has 6' drivers, boiler pressed to 200psi, and a pair of 19" x 28" outside cylinders. She’s liveried in Southern Railway green – can’t say which, but its a warm, earthy green like olive, - think it was introduced in 1926 and lasted until 1938. She's fitted with smoke deflectors and is a functional but handsome, well-balanced looking machine.

I still haven't managed any model engineering, most of my time being taken up during the day by the painting class I'm doing with the Open College of the Arts. This is supposed to take about 8 hours per week - I seem to be at it 9 -5 every day...obviously I'm pretty slow.

Once I get this current assignment off to my tutor, I hope to visit my Cowells and see how it's doing.

Regards to all,

Cliff
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 07:30:31 PM by arnoldb »
CliffH

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
Re: A visit to the Bluebell
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 06:30:09 PM »
We're working with Cliff to try and sort out his attachment uploading problem.

Hopefully his sketch will be up soon  :)

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline CliffH

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 07:31:32 PM »
Thanks, Arnold, much appreciated.
Cliff
CliffH

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 07:35:18 PM »
 :) My pleasure - and great sketch Cliff  :praise2:

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 07:41:08 PM »
Very nice sketch indeed Cliff...I like that a LOT!!!

Bill

Offline dsquire

• Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 08:20:36 PM »
Cliff

Very nice work indeed. Glad to see that your persistance has rewarded us all. I am guessing that this is just a start of some very nice things coming from you. I eagerly await.  :)

Cheers  :cheers:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 11:41:21 PM »
That' S a beautiful charcoal sketch Cliff. Thank you for sharing it with us. Very enjoyable indeed.  :praise2:

Don

Offline CliffH

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 11:26:38 AM »
Thank you for your encouraging comments.
Hopefully, dsquire, there is more to come, in fact, I have a painting about one third completed that, now that my latest assignment is off (this afternoon) to my tutor, I can get back to. I should have completed it a while ago, but there was something indefinably wrong with it, which I then realized were the driving wheels. I've now re-drawn the outlines, it remaining to paint them. I shall use acrylics, I think, for although it dries desperately quickly (and you can buy potions to retard this process - I have bought these and others) you can move on quickly and overpaint in no time at all. So, gents, soon-ish...
Cliff
CliffH

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 11:50:52 AM »
Will be looking forward to that Cliff. I am envious of your artistic talents  :)

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal