Author Topic: Alyn Foundry small power engine rally.  (Read 173 times)

Online Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Alyn Foundry small power engine rally.
« on: January 23, 2020, 06:28:21 PM »
Hello to All at MEM.

With great pleasure I'm pleased to announce the UK's first dedicated Small Power Engine rally. The 2 day event will be held at the Anson Engine Museum, Poynton Nr Stockport Manchester on the 20th and 21st of June 2020.

My thanks goes primarily to Geoff Challinor the curator for providing the necessary space and facilities for this event.  👍

The idea was first conceived many years ago by Percy Gallimore who set up a Small power engine section at the famous Astle Park steam rally. We talked many times about putting on a " full scale " event but somehow life got in the way! Thirty years on 2020 will see this happen.

We are hoping to get an assortment of vintage engines to demonstrate the diversity of ideas at the turn of the 18th Century and a one horse power maximum limit will be set, with the exclusion of  " lawnmower engines " unless they are older than 1925. Scale Aero engines will be exempt of the one horsepower clause for obvious reasons lol.

Anything goes, be it Steam, internal or external combustion, model or replica. The important aspect will be the emphasis on " SMALL POWER "

Please feel free to air any ideas at this stage, there's going to be a lot of work involved to get this event a reality. I've already booked the hotel lol.... 😃

I will be posting more important information about the event once we've got an idea of how many might be interested in displaying their pride and joys.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Alyn Foundry small power engine rally.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 11:58:12 AM »
Sounds like a great idea Graham, We are short of model engine shows.

Not sure I can drive that far  ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 02:37:42 PM »
Sounds like a great idea Graham, We are short of model engine shows.

Not sure I can drive that far  ::)

Jo

I know what you mean Jo. Over an hour drive see's my left knee looking like a barrage balloon!

I think it would be worth the effort, the museum has some really rare exhibits and they actually run them. And we will have several willing helpers to get your finished engines running too. Priceless!!

Cheers Graham.

Offline awake

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 03:10:03 PM »
I'm positive I can't drive that far (across the Atlantic!), but it sounds fantastic. Best wishes for a great rally!
Andy