Author Topic: Liney RV-1 - A New Double Wide  (Read 20961 times)

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Re: Liney RV-1 - A New Double Wide
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2013, 12:39:21 AM »
Shooting for the weekend. The flywheel always takes me the longest.
BTW, just got this email from Doug at Liney.

"Stan,

I scaled the parts x2 with everything doubled including the valve holes. The assembly in motion shows everything working out correctly. In short go ahead and double the valve holes.

Sincerely,
Doug Cvelbar"

From the horse's mouth. Now, the only question is, how much pressure is this going to take to run?

Best,
Stan

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2013, 12:56:05 AM »
Now, the only question is, how much pressure is this going to take to run?

I have done this same thing with another type of engine. The bigger the engine the less air pressure it took to run. I built a double sized, double piston engine and it ran on less than one pound of air. The bore was 1/2 inch.

The two on the outside are full size then center is half and quarter scale. The smallest one needs 50-60 pounds of air and as they get bigger the required pressure drops.

Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2013, 01:39:44 AM »
Steve
Well, that's encouraging. Why is that? I'm really curious: bigger engine; lower pressure???????
Best,
Stan

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2013, 01:58:21 AM »
Steve
Well, that's encouraging. Why is that? I'm really curious: bigger engine; lower pressure???????

I am no expert but I think it's easier to get air thru larger ports.

Offline grayone

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2013, 08:47:11 AM »
Steve

I am no expert but I think it's easier to get air thru larger ports.

If you double the surface area of the piston with the same air pressure you will get double the force.  Therefore if the friction in the system has not also doubled (unlikely) then it should run at a much lower pressure :happyreader:  If you double the diameter you will get 4 times the force  :thinking: so should run with an even lower air pressure  ;D
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:19:20 AM by grayone »
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2013, 12:07:30 PM »
Thanks for the explanations. Can't wait to see what it does run on. Maybe I should have built it 8X then it might run by blowing into the intake :lolb:
Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2013, 01:17:35 PM »
Ah yes Stan, but then the volume would get you !! :ROFL:

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2013, 05:58:55 PM »
my RV2 runs best on stupidly low air pressure. you may have a "lung runner" :lolb: :lolb:

Eric

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2013, 07:26:08 PM »
I'll make sure you try it at CF in April. Should make for a great picture.
Best,
Stan

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2013, 08:00:36 PM »
Liney RV-1 - A New Double Wide

Part 6

Flywheel

I was going to make the cranks, spacers and shafts today, but I needed some quality time with cast iron.
Big chunk here; a bit over 3” diameter.

I’d really hate to do this with a hacksaw.

Here’s my CoC with the Ballpoint Font.

Unbolted the step jaws and replaced them with my soft jaws. The spacer keeps tension on the jaws while I’m boring them. Since the soft jaws are bored in place, everything stays concentric and the part can be flipped to machine the other side without having to indicate anything. Since I started using these, no more wobbly flywheels. Less than 1 foot of 6061 and worth every penny.

I dug out the carbide tooling since I use my Warner indexable HSS and the tangential holder for damn near everything. Cast iron likes the carbide.

After facing and turning side one to diameter, I flipped the part and finished side 2.

Hogging out the center recess. I kept the depth to .200” to maintain the flywheel’s mass. Normally my flywheel webs are much thinner.

So that’s one side roughed out. Flip and repeat.

Since everything is concentric at this point, the part was drilled and bored to .249”
The .250 shaft will be a press fit.

Now to the Bridgeport to drill the decorative holes. After centering the flywheel with the Blake, I had the DRO do the pattern. Never trusting my “on the fly” dimensions, I ran thru the bolt hole circle and just touched off each one. Looks correct.

So off we go. Just turn the handles until the DRO reads zero, make the hole, display the next hole on the DRO and repeat.

Running through the hole pattern again for the chamfers.

Had some chatter at the outer edge of the web. The coarsest paper I had was 220 and removing the tool marks was taking forever. Ordered 60, 80 and 120 grit emery from McMaster to do the finishing,

Here it is with a size reference. 13oz (370gm).

Looks like one more day of machining to see if it’s a runner. Then finishing, fettling, polishing, and whatever else.

Try and remain calm, but no parts tomorrow. I have a bunch of things that must be done.
Look for the next installment on Thursday evening.

Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2013, 08:27:57 PM »
And so what are we supposed to do tomorrow Mr. Stan??  :shrug:  Just kidding....the flywheel looks great and should be more than enough mass for a smooth runner.  Take your time...its still a long time till CF 2014 :)

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2013, 09:55:03 PM »
No, no you can't do that bud, you have to finish the engine. Oh come on Stan, just when it was getting good you leave us.  :lolb: OK I guess we will just have to wait. Nice looking flywheel though.  :ThumbsUp:

:cheers: Don

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2013, 09:59:59 PM »
Now that is one nice looking flywheel, however, all time off must be approved by Dave ( Steamer) and myself. Let me give you a little clue, no more than we get, your chances are real slim :lolb:

Whiskey

PS, tanks fer the help ;)

Offline stevehuckss396

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2013, 10:20:53 PM »
Thanks for the explanations. Can't wait to see what it does run on. Maybe I should have built it 8X then it might run by blowing into the intake :lolb:

My double double will run on lung power. Use a real light sewing machine oil and yours probibly will too.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2013, 11:35:22 PM »
Steve
I'll try the sewing machine oil before I fill the displacement lubricator with steam oil. I was anticipating the compressor cranked up high for the first run. I'll start real low and see what happens. Video will, of course follow.
Best,
Stan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal