Author Topic: Fires in New South Wales  (Read 8060 times)

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
Re: Fires in New South Wales
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 12:46:50 PM »
The first unofficial reports of smoke on this side of the pond yesterday, about 100 k south of Christchurch (NZ).     Ian S C

Offline Tinkerer58

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 03:06:48 AM »
My hat off to our Prime Minister fighting fires, now where else in the world would you have a Prime Minister volunteering to fight fires and putting himself at risk to help save others. I call that dedication and a passionate man who loves his country and it's people.
I just wanna be in me bloody shed.

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 03:32:45 AM »
Yes Tinker58.....this is not just a publicity stunt..........our new PM has been an actively participating volunteer fire fighter for the past 8 years or so....... :ThumbsUp: .....

I was a volunteer in the 1968 NSW fires............ :zap: :Mad: .......certainly not fun for anyone involved..................Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 08:45:44 AM »
I fought that fire on the Mt Murray/Unanderra line Derek - 21 years old and scary times!
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 09:40:54 AM »
Regardless of when or how.....be safe out there friends. 

And no...I don't see my President getting out there with a saw and shovel and fighting a forest fire any time soon...so my hats off to yours! :praise2:

I think that can be called "leading by example"

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 09:46:45 AM »
Small world tel..........I was a 17 year old 2nd year apprentice at Metal Manufactures [Port Kembla] on that Wednesday when the fire alarms sounded at lunch time

Needless to say....after 60 minutes of my rousing......some 15 apprentices from MM were at Mt Kembla beating the flames until approx. 0200 on the Thursday morning

In reality the smoke beat most of us  :cussing: ........at about 0215 we regrouped & were thanked by a guy we knew as Reg Whitton [Chief Engineer of MM] .........who unbeknown to us was a volunteer fire Commissioner  :ThumbsUp:

We were allowed to report for work on the Thursday @ 1200....without loss of pay.........Derek   

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:54:59 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 09:48:31 AM »
Wot Dave said and all of you in the area, please, keep us posted. I like to know that our friends and fellow members are OK or if they need anything. Just me upbringing. Be safe guys.

Whiskey

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2013, 01:48:46 PM »
What Whiskey said.
One thing about a global site like this is it gives you more friends to worry about.
Alan

Offline Tinkerer58

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2013, 11:05:31 PM »
Sorry Ian SC about us sending our smoke your way, just our pay back for you guys sending all those Kiwis over here, I think we got more Kiwis here than you guys have over there LMAO
I just wanna be in me bloody shed.

Offline Ginger Nut

• Woolnwood
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 03:52:30 AM »
I'm up to a bout of Crookwell, hope Tel and any one else in the diaspora is as well.

Been to Gerroa for a party tonight, the reddest sun on arrival, the reddest moon on departure. Beauty in terror. (Forgive the b-grade melodrama).

Cheers, Hugh.

Hugh I hope your feeling better LOL

Gerroa?? nope a took the motor boat..........Red sun, Red moon you've been down to the mushroom patch along the beach haven't you.

Damn windy today 80K'S , plenty smoke here in outer western suburb of Hinchinbrook NSW.

Hugh are you heading to Hare & Forbes sale I hope to be there at least one day out of the 3.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2013, 11:43:14 AM »
Tinkerer58, a good few of them are coming home, they can't get allowances etc that they could, and a few other disadvantages too, 'spose if they took full nationality they would be OK. Also the jobs (outside of mining) are not as easy to get as they were.
     No sign of smoke here in Canterbury, in past years we could even smell the Gum Trees, it just depends on the wind.  Hope they are getting some sort of control now.  Keeping fingers crossed for you when the real fire season starts after Christmas.   Ian S C

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2013, 07:21:22 PM »
Won't get to the H & F sale. Like to, but too far away just to spend money!

Hugh.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal