Author Topic: Stirlingmotoren von Frank Abeiter  (Read 5313 times)

Offline jwcnc1911

Stirlingmotoren von Frank Abeiter
« on: October 12, 2013, 02:14:05 AM »
Hello all,

Apologies if this thread shows up multiple times... I have tried to post it 4 times over the last 10 hours.  So if they all pop up at once, my bad.

I have started making chips on the little Stirling engine by Frank Arbeiter in his book "Drehen und Fräsen".  You can find it here:
http://www.amazon.com/Drehen-Fr%C3%A4sen-Grundlagen-praktische-Anwendung/dp/3788306769/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1381539197&sr=1-1

It is my intention to actually do a build log and document every setup and step I take to make this engine.  I hope it leads to some one buying the book and building one as well.  Other than a few changes to make it suit my taste, it will be very close to the drawings.  I will use ball bearings where possible, mine will be air cooled instead of the water resivoir, my material will be whatever I can find on the floor, and the flywheel will be different.  It will have a very "De Waal" styled flywheel because I am a fan of Julius' work and I really like the larger diameter flywheels.

It is a very good looking engine with a unique linkage that is fun to watch.  I have seen several good runners.  Including one built by a friend of mine.  You can see it here:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZURhtCgfaM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZURhtCgfaM</a>
Harry has other videos of this little engine, all worth watching.

The first attached picture is a screenshot of the drawing to show the cutaway and side view of the engine.

The next string of pictures is what little start I've made on this engine.  All I had time to do was cube the block.  First, I machined 2in square stock down to size on four sides.  That should be easy enough.  This part is very small, so instead of dragging out an angle plate I used two V blocks in the Kurt vice to face the front and back nice and perpendicular to the sides.  As soon as I pulled it out of the vice, I used a sharpie to mark it up clearly because it is not a perfect square.

Thanks for looking, I hope every one enjoys the build.
----------
JW

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
Re: Stirlingmotoren von Frank Abeiter
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 02:33:23 AM »
Hi JW,

I will certainly watch the build! I agree it's an attractive engine.

--Tim

fcheslop

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 04:57:24 PM »
Hi JW, watching with great interest as long as I can understand :ThumbsUp:
Have you seen some of Rene Schaffers designs he has one that the power cylinder rotates
Stirling - Baukfastensystem ISBN 978 3 7883 2611 1 well worth the price £6.99p
cheers

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 06:32:49 PM »
That stirling runs incredibly smoothly! It's a joy to watch.

Simon

Offline jwcnc1911

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 03:45:57 AM »
Thanks for the interest guys!  I have been wanting to build this little engine for months!  I refuse to have more than 3 projects going at once due to having a touch of OCD (means I start too much) coupled with the attention span of a goat (means i lose interest easily).  It usually takes me a while to finalize a decision for a project but this one was an easy pick because I've had a chubby for it all the way through two other projects.
----------
JW

Offline jwcnc1911

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 07:24:00 AM »
Hey all, I haven't had time fo work n mine but my friend sent me some pictures of his.  The block of mine will be alu and the work cylinder will be bronze.

Hope you enjoy his pictures.  Same one as in the video.

It makes me want to finish mine very vwry bad.  Hope you enjoy the pictures like me.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:27:24 AM by jwcnc1911 »
----------
JW

Offline jwcnc1911

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 07:25:45 AM »
The rest of the pictures.
----------
JW

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 01:11:49 PM »
What a very intriguing design. I really like the linkages too...far more motion than on many stirlings. Will look forward to your continued progress on it.

Bill

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 03:27:25 PM »
I agree with Bill, very interesting looking engine!  I'll be following along on your build!
Kim

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 05:25:30 PM »
A very interesting engine! 

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline BronxFigs

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 02:46:15 PM »
JW-

Another example of your fine machining talents. 

Interesting  engine configuration, and, the convoluted  linkages....even more interesting.  Thanks for the sharing and photos.

Frank
90% of everything is BS!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal