Author Topic: Lash up for T&C grinder?  (Read 2885 times)

Offline John Hill

• Playing in my shed at Ashburton, New Zealand.
Lash up for T&C grinder?
« on: October 10, 2013, 04:29:35 AM »
Here is my lash up for T&C grinding...

I have a ER32 collet chuck for the spindle and a way of indexing the spindle  otherwise I think this is enough directions of movement for the grinder spindle?

Rotating the spindle to grind flutes on a milling cutter will be a challenge   :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Lash up for T&C grinder?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 10:56:57 AM »
Yes...especially side flutes.   Ends shouldn't be too bad with a tool rest mounted to the saddle.

Make sure you cover those ways.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline John Hill

• Playing in my shed at Ashburton, New Zealand.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 03:06:43 AM »
Thanks Dave..

It seems some systems just use some sort of peg that follows a flute and pushes the tool around but I cant see that as being effective when trying to turn that lathe spindle so I am wondering at some scheme of extreme ratio change gears so that turning the lathe feed screw would move the carriage and turn the spindle at the appropriate rate,  are there machines out there that use the method?

P.S. I am not really thinking of using this particular lathe for the job, more likely one of my smaller ones but that is the only one I had enough bits on hand to lash up and show the idea.

Offline rotorhead

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 02:38:24 AM »
Hi there,

Regarding the grinding of the spiral side teeth, mount the cutter between 2 centers, rig a follow blade on the saddle in line with your grinding wheel, at whatever height gives you your desired relief.

Wrap some string around the shank with a weight attached, to keep the spiral edge against the follow blade, and hey presto, no fancy gearing required...

Chris Wright
Ulceby, North Lincolnshire.UK
Colchester Master 6 1/2", Elliott Rapidmil, Clarkson Mk1+

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal