Author Topic: MARBLE LIFTING AUTOMATION  (Read 50759 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: MARBLE LIFTING AUTOMATION
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2013, 01:32:43 PM »
An observation: This seems to be turning into more build log rather than meeting the intent of this area of the Forum which is to show items that engines can power.

Brian could you please look to keep this short. Thanks.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2013, 04:14:43 PM »
Jo--I intend this to be a build log. Have I started my thread in the wrong place, or is this type of build log not allowed on this forum?

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2013, 04:48:03 PM »
Brian this is a model engine building forum: our focus is on building model engines we welcome short posts about other associated things but our focus and the build threads are about building model engines.

If you want to run this as a build thread then there are other more appropriate Forums on which it should be posted.

Jo

Arbalest

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2013, 06:01:34 PM »
If you have to re-post on another forum Brian give us the heads up as I'd be keen to watch your progress!

Vic.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2013, 06:27:07 PM »
Okay Jo--I'm sorry, I didn't realize that this type of build wasn't welcome on this forum. I am double and triple posting on some of the other forums, so I shouldn't be too hard to find if anybody wants to see more of this build. I'll probably post a video of it being driven by one of my small engines when its finished.--Brian

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2013, 06:58:50 PM »
Brian please post a link for people to follow you on the other sites.

Jo

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2013, 07:40:31 PM »
Well, I guess it's time for old Whiskey to shoot his mouth off. I see no reason Brian shouldn't be allowed to post this build here. Its an ancillary to be driven by a model engine. We just about ran poor Marinus off over locos. Whether it be a loco or traction engine, or stationary engine, if it turns into an eight year build I pray o the Maker I'm here to read it and learn. We should just be about the engine as the root and enjoy everything it's builder wraps around it as icing on the cake. I'm sorry, I love all the members here like family. But, this ain't what we're about. We should be all sh$t's and giggles to have a member as worthy as Brian. I don't know how many will back me, but, Brian I apologize.

Whiskey

Online sco

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2013, 09:27:52 PM »
The clue is in the forum title.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Arbalest

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2013, 10:31:38 PM »
For what it's worth Whiskey I agree with you but I don't think Brian is too put out by it though.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2013, 12:06:27 AM »
OK guys....lets all relax a bit.

This is a model engine forum...this is true...but I've got my steamboat on this sub fora ...it's got an engine right?....one I built right?....to say nothing of everyone else's worthy contributions...I seem to remember a similar "odds and ends" forum at the last place, though I can't remember the fora subtitle at the moment...I seem to remember my boat was there too....seems I introduced myself with that subject.. .....It also seems we have lot's of intelligent, driven and productive members as well as newcomers to the hobby trying to figure a way to proceed based on the questions...and great answers!.....all looking for inspiration and some advice...and maybe even a shoulder to cry on when that perfect part gets scrapped on the last operation.....been there!....bet Brian has too...bet most of you have.

I see this sub forum as a kind of a catch all engine related mechanism thing...what we do when we're in the shop not building an engine...kinda like my boat....we put a lot of time into those things...they are noteworthy...and although they aren't "Engines" they can offer all kinds of insight and  inspiration!...perhaps even Motivation!....I would love it if a New guy said Wow!...if Brian can build that...I can make that wobbler cylinder!.....I hope I can hear things like that anyway.

Brian followed the rules specifically and has been most accommodating.   I say we let this thread continue as is.   I've been an engineer for 30 years and I haven't seen a crank shuttle singulator like that so I learned something from this thread already!   

What makes a forum great is the people in it.  The members and the Team facilitating.

We have great members!.....active and productive and civil, willing to learn and teach alike.   We could not ask for better!

That said

It ain't easy being a part of this Admin team.  It's a tough job!    Sometimes no matter what you do NO one is happy!   But...I've known these people a while now...some many years...they're good people..and all are my friends.    You can believe that.   

OK...off the soap box....I am done waxing poetic....ect ect.

It's a hobby, we're not making moonshine, over-investing our 401k's or eating too much ice cream .....know what I mean ?

Dave   aka  steamer
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2013, 12:16:22 AM »
OK guys....lets all relax a bit.

This is a model engine forum...this is true...but I've got my steamboat on this sub fora ...it's got an engine right?....one I built right?....to say nothing of everyone else's worthy contributions...I seem to remember a similar "odds and ends" forum at the last place, though I can't remember the fora subtitle at the moment...I seem to remember my boat was there too....seems I introduced myself with that subject.. .....It also seems we have lot's of intelligent, driven and productive members as well as newcomers to the hobby trying to figure a way to proceed based on the questions...and great answers!.....all looking for inspiration and some advice...and maybe even a shoulder to cry on when that perfect part gets scrapped on the last operation.....been there!....bet Brian has too...bet most of you have.

I see this sub forum as a kind of a catch all engine related mechanism thing...what we do when we're in the shop not building an engine...kinda like my boat....we put a lot of time into those things...they are noteworthy...and although they aren't "Engines" they can offer all kinds of insight and  inspiration!...perhaps even Motivation!....I would love it if a New guy said Wow!...if Brian can build that...I can make that wobbler cylinder!.....I hope I can hear things like that anyway.

Brian followed the rules specifically and has been most accommodating.   I say we let this thread continue as is.   I've been an engineer for 30 years and I haven't seen a crank shuttle singulator like that so I learned something from this thread already!   

What makes a forum great is the people in it.  The members and the Team facilitating.

We have great members!.....active and productive and civil, willing to learn and teach alike.   We could not ask for better!

That said

It ain't easy being a part of this Admin team.  It's a tough job!    Sometimes no matter what you do NO one is happy!   But...I've known these people a while now...some many years...they're good people..and all are my friends.    You can believe that.   

OK...off the soap box....I am done waxing poetic....ect ect.

It's a hobby, we're not making moonshine, over-investing our 401k's or eating too much ice cream .....know what I mean ?

Dave   aka  steamer

YEP!!! except in my colonial ignorance, I thought making moonshine was a hobby.  :cheers:

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2013, 12:18:30 AM »
.....YEP!!! except in my colonial ignorance, I thought making moonshine was a hobby.  :cheers:

Sure is if it's for medicinal purposes!....now the sale across state line...well that's another story....but wait....what was this thread all about again? :DrinkPint:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2013, 08:14:32 PM »
Let me get this straight. Since there is a sub section on the forum for "things that you run with your engine", how have I gone so wrong so quickly? Am I to understand that a picture or video of a finished "something" is acceptable, but not a build log? I consider it an honour and a privilege to be accepted for membership on this forum, and many people did seem interested in following the build. Please clarify this issue, Jo, so I don't do something wrong in the future.----Brian

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2013, 10:59:49 PM »
Let me get this straight. Since there is a sub section on the forum for "things that you run with your engine", how have I gone so wrong so quickly? Am I to understand that a picture or video of a finished "something" is acceptable, but not a build log? I consider it an honour and a privilege to be accepted for membership on this forum, and many people did seem interested in following the build. Please clarify this issue, Jo, so I don't do something wrong in the future.----Brian

Brian,

When the forum was founded, it's express purpose was engines (and to provide a home for those who couldn't stomach the change of ownership at HMEM).

The forum has tried, with varying degrees of success and action/inaction, tried to remain reasonably true to that vision, while allowing members to post some of their other non-engine interests/stuff if they think it will be of interest to other members. What we've tried to do is keep non-engine stuff to be less a build log & more a gallery type effort. The reason - there are loads of other machining/model engineering sites out there which would welcome loco builds (to pluck a randomish example), but not many where the focus is engines.

For the avoidance of any doubt, no-one has asked you to pull this thread, or to stop your marble lifting build; but, in the spirit of the forum, this isn't really an _engine_ thing.

Ironically, when you get to the part of the build when you're hooking it up to a model engine, will be truly the bit when this thread goes "on topic"....

In the meantime, no-one minds you updating on progress, but I for one would appreciate it if the "blow by blow" process were posted elsewhere, or perhaps built up into a PDF for posting when nearer complete?

Whatever you do, please don't take any of this as a personal attack. It was the subject matter that concerned me, nothing else. And yes, I'd love to see your marble lifter being run by a miniature IC engine.

Hope that clarifies & clears the air a little. Rest assured my intervention has caused a lively debate amongst the admins/mods.... we will try to come up with some clearer guidelines for everyone. Meanwhile, if you want to have your say about this post, or any other on this thread that's related to the subject, could I please ask that it occur in the Chatterbox forum & not this thread? Ta.
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2013, 08:00:24 AM »
Seems a strange desicion to me, While I don't peronally care for some of Brians subjects they are far more relative to the forum title than the large number of "builds" we have going in the tooling section such as VDH, UPT, Sensative drill, Hemmingway dividing, etc. But he does explain his methods well and at the end of the day the same method can be use if the part is in an engine or not

When the site was started I thought the intension not to have big projects was to keep things short, knowing the way Brian works this project will be finished in two weeks, compare that with how long the likes of My Easton & anderson or Jo's stationary engine threads go and Brian's really is a short thread.

J

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal