Author Topic: MARBLE LIFTING AUTOMATION  (Read 50757 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: MARBLE LIFTING AUTOMATION
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2013, 09:37:37 PM »
Watching, as always, with interest Brian. One thing strikes me tho - won't the left hand hole (where the marble gets pushed up) need some sort of inverted ramp to prevent jamming?

Well--Its not supposed to. The trick seems to be that if you get the top part with the hole in it positioned properly, the 11/16" ball is pushed up into the hole by the red slider block, and then as the main slider block (grey color in post #3 animation)) is moved by the action of the rotating crank it slides to the left and blocks the ball from falling back down. I watched a Youtube video about 25 times trying to figure out what was happening there. The animation is a little funky--The blue "ball" doesn't transit from right to left at the top of the arc like the animation shows--it is forced up through the hole in the top blue part, and then can't fall back down. There will be a 3/4" i.d. clear rigid plastic tube standing vertically above the right hand hole to accumulate the balls in. They will eventually fill up the tube and start pouring out the top down a ramp.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:43:30 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2013, 09:40:55 PM »
be interesting to see how that pans out. I just visualise the ball rising and jamming on the 'roof' before it gets to the hole.
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 09:46:31 PM »
We'll find out as I go along. 'Twouldn't be the first time I've got my balls jammed!!! :Lol: :Lol:

Offline tel

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 09:48:11 PM »
 :lolb:

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2013, 11:37:45 PM »
I think I'll go here next. I'm not sure about the snap ring groove size. I'll have to buy some snap rings and check it.

Arbalest

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 10:20:54 AM »
be interesting to see how that pans out. I just visualise the ball rising and jamming on the 'roof' before it gets to the hole.

This any help Tel?

http://woodgears.ca/marbles/plans/video.html

Offline tel

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 11:09:35 AM »
Yes Arb, it does - thankee!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 01:01:29 PM »
Damn!!! I wish I'd seen that FIRST before I sat half a day figuring it out on my own!!! About the only trick I seen is drilling the holes in the top plate at an angle.--That's good to know.---Thanks Arbalest.

Arbalest

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 01:26:03 PM »
No problem, glad it's of use. I still can't figure out why I find such a simple mechanism so fascinating though!  :Lol: I planned to make one myself out of some Beech but never got round to it. I also saved some Archimedes screws from some toner cartridges for use as a ball lifter as well but never got round to that either, one day...

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 12:04:33 AM »
Every day--a little bit. Not too much tonight. After 9 hours on the computer designing a new machine for a customer I don't have much energy left. I whittled out 2 links and found some 1/4" cold rolled. I'm too tired to start grinding a cutting tool for e-clip grooves, so I'll leave that for tomorrow night.

Offline tel

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2013, 02:01:29 AM »
I also saved some Archimedes screws from some toner cartridges for use as a ball lifter

;D I got a couple of those carefully tucked away as well!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 10:54:18 PM »
I just checked the junk box, and I found a piece big enough to make this if I can plug a couple of holes. Don't know WHO the darn fool was that went and drilled holes in all my good scrap-----

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2013, 12:45:31 AM »
Well, that's tonights bite of the elephant. I have a formula for fixing holes in the pieces I want to use. It goes like this--Turn plug .001 to .002 oversize from hole, coat plug with Red Loctite, get big "Turtle Killer" hammer, run out to anvil and --KERBLAM!!! Hole is gone!!! If you have good eyes you might be able to see the outline of the plugs. There are two of them.

Offline jwcnc1911

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2013, 04:27:09 AM »
Diggin it Brian!  And your saying "that's my bite of the elephant" reminds me so much of a coworker.

He was told that vibration analysis is like eating an elephant... He told his manager the end he had to start on wasn't too good.

So, which end did you start on?
----------
JW

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2013, 12:34:08 PM »
Something new like this doesn't have a bad end.---Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal