Author Topic: Fowler BB1 in 2"  (Read 110553 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Fowler BB1 in 2"
« Reply #240 on: April 19, 2014, 09:53:16 AM »
The perch pin was still missing its nut, I looked around for a suitable piece of hex and had nothing the 19mm A/F I wanted. I did have a rusty piece just over 21mm A/F. Now making hex out of hex is not good practise  :ThumbsDown:, it is better to use round  :ThumbsUp: But I like to recycle, so to take it down to size I could have mounted it in a vise:

The problem with this is that whilst you can mill three sides at one depth of cut you then have to put the next depth of cut for the other three sides and there is a high chance it will not be identical or the piece of hex might not be flat on one side  :shrug: So much better to mill hexes in a dividing head, which will rotate the work about the centre line so every face will be the same depth of cut and the result will be a true hex. The advantage of round is of course you don't have to worry if your dividing head holds the flat of the hex horizontal to start with, thankfully mine does:

Armed with the hex it is then a simple job of drilling and tapping:

Not forgetting the taper on the top edge of the nut, and I normally take the sharp edge of the bottom but not enough to notice  ;) So the pin has its nut:

That was not what I was supposed to be doing this morning  :ShakeHead: but it has got rid of another item of the jobs list. Now the sun is out  :whoohoo:

Jo

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:56:17 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #241 on: April 19, 2014, 10:17:28 AM »
Great fabrication and machining Jo. The paint looks good, is that just a primer? I'm still  :popcorn: and watching. BTW nice nuts :LittleDevil:

Whiskey

Offline bronson

« Reply #242 on: April 19, 2014, 12:56:57 PM »
Very interesting thread. Great machined parts, looks great can't wait to see the finished product. Very nice work. Bronson

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #243 on: April 19, 2014, 03:38:22 PM »
 :popcorn: Man your making those parts look easy Jo. That is some great fabrication girl, keep it up I like.......... :NotWorthy:

:DrinkPint:
Don

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #244 on: April 19, 2014, 04:45:41 PM »
Pleased you are enjoying it guys  ;D

Life is just about to get a little tricky  :Doh: I need to make the hornbrackets. Yes a supplier does "some" but the second shaft is in the wrong place and they are made of aluminium  :hellno: So mine are going to be steel fabrications. To give you an idea of the challenge I have some for another model ploughing engine that I am currently holding in ransom for my New Holland casting set which  :o were "borrowed"

So in turn the L/H hornbracket outside and inside, then  :headscratch: I am confused over this one it neither matches the centre bearing bracket or the R/H hornbracket. It says superba on it but I'm not convinced  :noidea: But its ok for what I need it for, to give me ideas

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #245 on: April 19, 2014, 05:05:43 PM »
It matches the R/H bracket on my drawings, the centre bracket is much smaller, you can just see it to the left of my cylinder.

J

Edit, no you are right its not the same as the drawing :headscratch:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 05:08:57 PM by Jasonb »

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #246 on: April 19, 2014, 05:15:08 PM »
Another case of Mr Hainings drawings being a bit off.

Take a look at this Z7S, no oval cutout on teh R/H side and the same shape as my casting. Phew :ThumbsUp:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #247 on: April 19, 2014, 05:15:34 PM »
You are saved... just need a drawing now  :LittleDevil: and that looks like the centre bracket from the drawings.

My centre bracket is a bit different .

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #248 on: April 22, 2014, 09:39:20 PM »
There are four eccentrics on the old girl, so having first marked up the offset and drilled it in a four jaw chuck I then commenced to turn up the eccentrics using a three jaw:

I only turned one side, as I decided I did not trust myself to get them all perfectly to width using a parting off tool so faced the other side using a pot chuck:

The result was all four eccentrics are within 0.03mm of each other's dimensions :pinkelephant:

And there is also a spare, which had a slight scoring in the bore from the original drilling  :disappointed:

Jo

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #249 on: April 23, 2014, 01:15:36 AM »
There are four eccentrics on the old girl,

Nice way to get a fellow excited.  :naughty:
Subject wasn't what I'd hoped for but it was still satisfying.  ;D

I've been trying to find the time to get a  :popcorn: and read this thread from the beginning.
I really like these kinds of projects.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
« Reply #250 on: April 23, 2014, 06:21:52 AM »
I like the use of thepot chuck. Another method I'll file away for future use.
the fabrication of the perch plate came out spot on - your far more parsimonious with the solder than me! I always end up feeding in too much
Looking forward to how you make the hornplates

peter

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #251 on: April 23, 2014, 07:19:16 AM »
Nice way to get a fellow excited.  :naughty:

I'd be so lucky  :naughty:

Peter, I might be metal bashing for a while before I show much on the hornplates, cutting through 6mm plate is hard work. Once all the pieces are to the right sort of size I might post about the assembly work..

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #252 on: April 28, 2014, 09:17:45 PM »
Ok I have a lot of swarf but not a lot to show for it so far  :shrug: I started by thinking out the different sizes of metal I would need:

this resulted in a lot of swarf as I have been trying to recycle some of the spare metal in mine and Uncle Eric's come in handy pile  :naughty: Most of it is boring milling but something I try to remember to do when I am milling on the end of a piece of metal is to use the top of the cutter not the bottom:

This is because the bottom is probably more worn out than the top and it also causes more leverage on the cutter which is not desirable. so the beginnings of the pieces for the right hand bracket:

An important trick you may be able to see is that I have milled a 1mm deep groove where the pieces need to be silver soldered together and (after  :censored: one of them up the first time) left the bits to be silver soldered in place that 1mm wider  ;)

It is into these slots that the fixing holes needs to be drilled to coordinated positions:

Very carefully on the edges as I am using 8BA in a piece of 3.2mm black steel  :insane:

And making the most of my  :Love: UPT to help tap the threads. By the way I find that the screws fit better if you remember to tap the holes before I try to fit the screws  :-\

It has taken a lot of work so far slowly the initial shape is beginning to form:

The fixing screws are easier to see on the back:

Next for fitting is the main bearing block  :).

Jo

Online sco

« Reply #253 on: April 28, 2014, 09:50:51 PM »
Jo,

Always fun and informative following your build logs - not getting where a 'Horn bracket' might belong though  ;D

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #254 on: April 28, 2014, 10:12:39 PM »
I thought everyone knew that a horn bracket fits onto the top of the horn plate  :LittleDevil:

Come on Jo, tell em where the horn plate fits.  :ThumbsUp:

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal