Author Topic: Fowler BB1 in 2"  (Read 111694 times)

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
Re: Fowler BB1 in 2"
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2013, 02:26:45 PM »
As far as I am aware, there is no charter for this group so I do not see how a 1/6 scale ploughing engine doesn't fit with "A Global Community of Model Engine Machinists".  Certainly more relevant than building tools, which I am also happy to see.  I wouldn't have a problem with locomotives either, providing that it kept to making rather than running, the techniques are pertinent to all.  I guess the only question really is that of size -  half scale traction engines don't fall within my (arbitrary) definition of model engineering but 1/6 does.   So, if Jo can spare the time, I would love to see progress on her model of these magnificent machines and anybody else making something similar.

Having written the above a sort of definition for what is relevant has occurred to me but it is impossible to police.  It comes down to intent - If the aim is to make a working model for it's own sake then that is why we are here.  If the intent is to make something so that we can ride around behind it pretending to be a train driver or a traction engine steerer then maybe that isn't what Model Engine Maker is for.

Just my tuppenceworth - I really like it here. :)
Rod

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2013, 02:52:17 PM »
I would love to see the build log continue as well, even if I have little to contribute to the gear problem at hand. I don't see how this can NOT be considered an engine.

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2013, 04:14:28 PM »
I too would love to see you continue this build log here Jo.  I am very much in favor of this being considered an engine.

Kim

Offline IanR

• Derby, UK
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2013, 08:02:56 PM »
I'd be happy to watch someone building a ploughing engine.
Are the full size gears cp rather than DP?

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2013, 10:09:56 PM »
We seem to be tying ourselves in knots here about what is appropriate content for this site.  :shrug:  I am happy to see anything that adds to my store of model engineering knowledge that I may then apply to my own meagre efforts.  Whether that is Jo or anyone else taking the time and putting in the effort to produce a build log of any project from which I gain just a smidgin of their knowledge and experience I am grateful. 
Hopefully, in time to come, I may have the confidence to describe my one of my own projects but till then "Keep 'em coming" I say, and if it turns out I am not overly interested then I can always choose not to follow that particular thread.
In short, as long as it involves engineering models then I am all for it and I would join other posters in asking Jo to continue with her traction engine log.

Jim
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2013, 10:32:57 PM »
Well said Jim! I, too, would like to see the series continue and less emphasis on what 'is' or 'is not' a suitable topic for the forum.
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2013, 01:11:12 AM »
I for one would love to see this thread continue. A traction engine is a marvel to see and to see it get built makes for a great learning experience. It is an engine, as not to say a minature one, but an engine no less. I say go for it and keep this thread going Jo.

Don

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2013, 04:46:58 AM »
Traction Engines Rock!
Pete
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

Offline Stilldrillin

• Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2013, 07:24:06 AM »
I would love to watch this adventure unfold, as I have for most of the projects on here.  :ThumbsUp:

Unfortunately, if we must only make, "models of engines". This is the wrong forum for me!  :facepalm2:

David D
David.
Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!
Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2013, 02:14:04 PM »
Sent from China so hopefully it comes through! I see no problem with this, it is a model engine in every sense. If I look through the section there is:
joe d building a 1" scale traction engine
s b whart finishing a 5" gauge steam locomotive
Dan Rowe building a splendid Shay geared narrow gauge locomotive
Many members are enjoying and commenting on these threads. It is a model and it is an engine. Jo, please keep posting about it. Many on here (especially me) have a lot to learn about model engineering and your clear explanations and problem solving are an education. :praise2:

Best regards

Roger

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2013, 07:53:10 AM »
Ok guys a challenge for you I need a few large diameter blanks for my girl:

280mm (11") dia 20mm thick
225mm (9") dia 45mm thick,
207mm (8 1/2") dia 12.7 thick.

These are for some gear wheels I need to make so I would prefer cast iron but I do have commercial cutters so steel is an option...  a local supplier quoted me a reasonable price for 9" blanks and then when I asked him to get them the price doubled  >:(. And he couldn't do the 11"

I have heard suggestions of using training weights...  :noidea: the hole in the middle might be a bit big and I am not sure if I could bush the centre.

Jason spotted that M-Machine can do Black EN3 in appropriate sizes .. I have no idea if that is any good for gear wheels or machining. It is big enough  ;) but I don't want to think about the postage costs  :o

So any suggestions of things that I might re use or suppliers who might not want to finance their pension fund  :disappointed: from this purchase.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2013, 09:14:58 AM »
Hi Jo,
    A girl with your talent, although you dont like playing with it, could make a couple of patterns & have them cast. I'm guessing that they are solid not spoked so shouldnt tax your skills. What about getting your "local" water cutter to cut you some blanks, flame  or laser cut are other options.....must be somebody not to far off your route to / from work, you just may have to scarifice some of those moths you saved on your fix on the converter :LittleDevil:. Re using weight, seem to recall other's heading down that route & yes it was possible but the quality of the cast iron left a bit to be desired & the "damage" to tooling would need to be weighed against allowing moths to escape :stir: :Argue:
Just my thoughts.
And to add my vote, YES please continue posting the build, lots to learn here that will be useful when I finally get the stuff round the house finished & am allowed back to the workshop.....have to clean it first

Cheers Kerrin

Get excited and make something!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2013, 01:30:10 PM »
Thanks Kerrin,

Yes that is my next possible way forward. I have been offerred a 3ft by 2ft box of Iron castings for £50, plus P&P plus VAT.... So I am assuming £100 a box by the time I have filled it  >:D.

The problem is it is that brown stuff  :paranoia: needed to make the patterns out of. I suppose one day I am going to have to learn how to handle wood properly but I keep putting it off :embarassed:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2013, 02:50:07 PM »
Jo,

Sounds to me like those moths are just itching to get out of your purse again!!  What about a cast iron rim for the teeth and a less expensive metal (aluminum perhaps) for the inside. Cast iron pipe in those sizes may be more available and less expensive. I had gotten a piece a few months back for later use on the Corliss, but it was more like 6-7" od.  Anyway, just a thought.

Bill

Offline Steam Haulage

• Notts UK
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2013, 04:33:07 PM »
Hi Jo,

I have recently bought some CI bar from M-Machine 220x45 mm less than £40 for the metal, total delivered including VAT & delivery nearly £58. For CI tube 25mm wall x100 x 50 wide about £24 plus plus.

JerryNotts
Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you, pigs treat you as equal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal