Author Topic: Fowler BB1 in 2"  (Read 110565 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Fowler BB1 in 2"
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2013, 08:36:29 PM »
Jerry, a view of the outside of the tappet wheel may make things clearer. By the time the tappet wheel has made one full revolution the jocky wheel on the end of the arm that guides the rope will have gone from the bottom of the drum to the top and back down again, its basically a cam. By altering the number of gear teeth the relation between drum depth and  cable thickness can be adjusted so you get a full coverage of the drum

Offline Steam Haulage

• Notts UK
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2013, 07:50:23 AM »
Thank Jason,

The realisation that there is a cam involved makes it much clearer. Thank you.

JerryNotts
Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you, pigs treat you as equal.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2013, 03:59:39 PM »
One of the interesting "faults" in the Hanning Drawings was that way in which all the road gears were all 8DP. The consequence of this is that the 2nd and 3rd shafts had to move. Resulting in all sorts of issues including miss shaped Hornbrackets, wrong numbers of teeth and hence gearing  :hammerbash:

On a normal traction engine each of the shafts has a different DP. I found that by copying the original shaft location for the BB1 and using the free Gear calculation program that using 7, 8 and 9 DP gears I could put the shafts back in their correct position and the number of teeth on each gear are nearly spot on the original  :naughty:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2013, 05:57:55 PM »
Good going so far Jo  :ThumbsUp:

I'm really interested in the gearing and drive, so will be tagging along closely.

There's this engine here in Namibia; now in pretty sorry state with lots of bits missing.  One day I'd like to build a semi-fine-scale, but fully functional live steam model of it, so I'm very interested in traction engine builds.

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2013, 09:22:02 AM »
Sorry Arnold, I dabbed my toe in the water here to see if there was any interest in the model engine gear design problem and other than yourself there is none  :shrug:.

As you know I was never sure if it was appropriate to post this engine design/build on this site so I am thinking of moving this thread to Chatterbox and not posting further on this build.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2013, 10:36:42 AM »
Jo

I am sorry to hear that you are not going to show further progress on this model.  As far as I am concerned, anything having to do with this hobby, would be of interest to me.

Vince

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2013, 10:48:07 AM »
Sorry Arnold, I dabbed my toe in the water here to see if there was any interest in the model engine gear design problem and other than yourself there is none  :shrug:.

As you know I was never sure if it was appropriate to post this engine design/build on this site so I am thinking of moving this thread to Chatterbox and not posting further on this build.

Jo

That is very unfortunate,  I was really looking forward to seeing that Jo   Can't you reconsider?  I think it's a fascinating subject!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2013, 11:00:10 AM »
I was looking forward to seeing this one develop. I'm of no use to you with your gear questions, but I'd love to see this come to fruition. Pretty please?

Hugh.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2013, 11:04:10 AM »
One of the interesting "faults" in the Hanning Drawings was that way in which all the road gears were all 8DP. The consequence of this is that the 2nd and 3rd shafts had to move. Resulting in all sorts of issues including miss shaped Hornbrackets, wrong numbers of teeth and hence gearing  :hammerbash:

On a normal traction engine each of the shafts has a different DP. I found that by copying the original shaft location for the BB1 and using the free Gear calculation program that using 7, 8 and 9 DP gears I could put the shafts back in their correct position and the number of teeth on each gear are nearly spot on the original  :naughty:

Jo

pictures..spreadsheet, drawings.........what was that saying.......?

Damned ijjit!

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2013, 11:41:46 AM »
Jo please reconsider your position on this

after all they are stationary engines when they are doing the work as intended not loco_moting about

I for one would love to follow your progress on this build

in great hope Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2013, 11:44:21 AM »
OK so I'm still looking for the detractors for this thread Jo.  Haven't found any yet.
 :stickpoke:
Damned ijjit!

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2013, 12:15:07 PM »
Sorry Arnold, I dabbed my toe in the water here to see if there was any interest in the model engine gear design problem and other than yourself there is none  :shrug: .

Jo

I would have thought that in their original form most traction engines and indeed most machinery of that era would have cycloidal gears rather than involute gears. This would IMHO be even more likely if the gears were cast.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2013, 01:14:51 PM »
Bob, I know that in the US that machinery of this vintage mostly used cycloidal  gears. The AGMA was not formed until 1916 so there were no standards. Things like pressure angle and the ratio of the addendum to the dedendum varied with different makers.

Jo, I have a keen interest in gears of all sorts and have a bunch of gear books that are usually not on the shelf they live on the top of the stack of papers that I think has a desk under it.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2013, 01:20:09 PM »
Jo had you asked what could have been done with the original 8DP setup on here I'm sure you would have got a responce. You just stated that you had designed your way around the problem so all you could really expect is a "good for you, well done" sort of reply.

I did not post a reply as we have covered the issue by e-mail in the past.

I'm sure once you start posting bits of metal or asking for ways to produce things you will get more responce. Why not post your cannon bracket query here to test the water.

J

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2013, 01:31:02 PM »
Wot Jason Said!

Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal