Author Topic: Fowler BB1 in 2"  (Read 110540 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Fowler BB1 in 2"
« on: October 01, 2013, 01:30:13 PM »
The story of this model of an engine starts over 2 decades ago when on my first date with my ex he took me to the Rudwick Steam rally. Now traction engines are very desirable or so I thought but then I came face to face with Marylin (1919 Fowler BB1) and all hope was lost.

http://www.steamscenes.org.uk/engines/fowler/ploughing-engine/15332/1

The BB1 is probably the commonist of all the steam ploughs you will see, it is also the engine that I have actually ploughed with:

I discovered that Blackgates could provide a set of blueprints for a 2” version designed by John Hanning that I purchased, sadly these left a lot to be desired  :disappointed: Following encouragement, from he who hath gone, I decided to build in 4” scale with the help of the equipment at the college engineering department that he worked at. But I try not to think about those engines as they are not with me any more >:( So finally it is time to start again and this time I will have no one to steal my dreams from me  ;).

I have decided to make only one this time as I find little pleasure in doing things twice and I know of someone else who is thinking of making another 2” ploughing engine, which will give us a pair that we could play with, if either of us gets the desire to watch our flywheels going round  :insane:. As for scale I learnt from building the 4” that it is not something you attempt on your own, even the individual wheels take two to lift, I toyed with the idea of making her in 3” but without a partner to help that could get difficult at times (and I see no chance of that situation changing during this build ;)) so have decided to build in 2” as I have a little more chance of being able to woman handle her parts on my own.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Fowler BB1 in 2"
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 01:36:41 PM »
Where to start: lets be honest it has been a long time on the build list, it is a big job, and will cost a pretty penny or two. Two months ago I finally committed to this build by ordering the boiler. I am told I will hear more about it after Xmas when I need to have the boiler fitting positions sorted out.. Another 12 months and it will be ready  ;).

Whilst previously I had access to larger metal rollers, hydraulic guillotines and things, I don't now so it is easier for me to subcontract out the wheel rims and buy them in fully welded (Aluminium rims are about the same price but totally the wrong material :disappointed: ). And whilst I am dealing with sheet metal working companies it is probably easier to get them to laser cut the spokes and a few other bits and pieces and then for me to finish the parts off rather than what I did last time which was to make a lot of swarf :)

So the subcontract list is growing, thankfully the full budget is available. All I need is the drawings for the company to cut to. Which brings me round to where I am today: designing and drawing the engine.

I have a starting point in the Hanning drawings but as I mentioned they leave a lot to be desired :ShakeHead: A lot of his design has been overly simplified, some things are downright :hellno: wrong but for a 40 year old design John Hanning did a lot better design on this engine than I could have at the time.

Jo

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 01:55:45 PM »
As the major subcontract part is the wheels this was the logical place to start. Designing the parts for the wheels was not the problem, getting Alibre to assemble them was. I have chosen to use a double tee ring for the rim, rather than two seperate Tees: I can add a line around the inside if I so desire. The hub is made up of 6 pieces with 14 spokes, 4 tyre sections completing the wheel.

Don’t ask about the hind wheels they are drawn but still will not assemble  :rant:.

Jo

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 02:03:19 PM »
I'm in!...

Have at it Jo!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 02:09:19 PM »
'bout time you started posting on this one, are you going to show the shiny bits you have already done.

Don't know if "common" is the right word for something as desirable as a BB1 they they are not excatly rare unlike your possible ploughing partners subject matter ;)

J

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 02:15:56 PM »
I'm in also.

Love your build logs.  Learned at lot.

Vince

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 02:46:50 PM »
 :shrug:

I am feeling guilty about posting anything to do with this build here as it is not technically a model stationary engine. But as she is going to take a lot of my time over the next few years and I don't want anyone thinking I have done something really really stupid like finding myself a boyfriend  :disappointed: or given up making engines :hellno:

I will still be making model engines in parallel with her but she is going to be demanding some of my time ;)

And before anyone asks no she is not going on my dining table as it is not strong enough  :ROFL:.

Jo

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 03:11:40 PM »
I'm here too Jo, looking forward to seeing this one take shape, however long it takes.

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 03:25:33 PM »
Looks like a great long term project;

I will be looking forward to seeing the updates on this one.

Dave

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 03:47:03 PM »
I am feeling guilty about posting anything to do with this build here as it is not technically a model stationary engine.

Jo, who cares if it has wheels other than fly wheels? There are several threads on model marine engines ongoing and no one has noticed that technically they are not stationary engines either.

Parts are parts we like to see them made with lots of photos and you do a very good job of photos and explanations with your builds so please let us watch this build.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 04:18:47 PM »
go for it Jo , but please give some build progress here so we can follow along with the trials and tribulations that always seem to happen along the way

as for me due to having to use crutches I have had to go the other way

I have just sold two part finished loco's 5 inch G Linda was surprised when I walked in with the gelt it was all in £20's and looked like a house brick in a bag , that was soon shoved into the big handbag and hurried of to the bank

so as I have said before keep up the good work we are all watching for the next instalment in the long road to its completion I do not blame you in the least in subbing out the heavy work and the use of laser cut parts , at least it lets you get on with the more interesting bits

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 05:16:06 PM »
Jo
I for one will be delighted to see a traction engine build on here.

I built a 3" scale Ruston Proctor class SCD compound tractor a few years ago, and still have the castings stashed away for a 1½" Marshall portable, and a 1½" Burrell SCC traction engine.

I really must stop making tools or thinking about traction engines, and get back onto Agnes very soon.

Phil

PS I dont think you will be needing that 3/8" BCA collet for building a 2" Fowler  ;D

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 07:26:22 PM »
Jo, as an old boy that has walked a furrow behind a mule(for fun)  and plowed one with a tractor, I never experienced doing one with steam as my grand pap did. I'd watch this build like watching a known card shark in a poker game. I think our little group here is spreading it's wings and we might should be open to more types of builds. As long as it's got an engine or driven by one I personally want to see the whole project, whether it be stationary, loco, traction, marine, aviation,  or what ever. You build it and I'll blacksmith the plow.  8)

Whiskey

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 08:16:57 PM »
Its worth remembering that the usual way of steam ploughing in the US is direct traction - towing the plough behind the engine. In the UK the prefered method was to have  apair of engines and pull a plough back and forth between the two using the underslung cable drums, though there are a few variations on the theme.

J

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 08:39:19 PM »
That's a really interesting point Jason, and certainly new to me. It caused me to go searching for a video. Here's a pretty good one.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqUqzkRQnus" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqUqzkRQnus</a>

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal