Author Topic: Fowler BB1 in 2"  (Read 110575 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Fowler BB1 in 2"
« Reply #285 on: May 19, 2015, 09:36:08 PM »
No you missed the point Jason  :ShakeHead: I want to go to the Museum of Rural Life to have a look at the Fowler archive and the museum contents.

I have everything I need to design my engine.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #286 on: May 20, 2015, 08:04:32 AM »

Since then I have kept an active interest in Fowler Plouging Engines and have recently discovered, to my surprise, that the Museaum of English Life at my alma mater hold the Fowler archives, apparently including the drawings, it seems for every class.

They don't have drawings for every class, the later classes are quite well covered but there is very little of the earlier engines, maybe just a general arrangement of some if lucky. There are also a number of drawings of common parts that were used on several engines so you would need to know what was used on what so that you knew what to look at.

I do have a list of all the Folwer drawings held at MERL which would be worth consulting before traveling all that way.

Probably best to say MERL hold the Fowler drawings that still exist rather than all.

Jo do you have a drawing for the cylinder top cover, last photo you sent me of the pattern I mentioned that I thought the rear webs were misplaced?

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #287 on: May 20, 2015, 08:16:02 AM »
I am still desiging the cylinder, etc another reason for the delay in getting the castings done  :disappointed:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #288 on: May 20, 2015, 08:21:08 AM »
? No the top cover that you were making the pattern for not the cyl.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #289 on: May 20, 2015, 08:26:43 AM »
The top cover, not cylinder head.

It is rough  :facepalm2:

Jo

Offline Steam Haulage

• Notts UK
« Reply #290 on: May 20, 2015, 09:03:29 AM »
Jo and Jason,

Thanks for the comments about the Fowler drawings. My daughter is being married in Marlow in a few weeks time, I might find time to whizz along the M4 and have a looksee. If they are open by then.

Jason you mentioned the list of Fowler drawings that you have. Is that the list on their website? If not is it possible to let me have a copy?

Jerry
Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you, pigs treat you as equal.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #291 on: May 20, 2015, 09:35:50 AM »
I call it the top cover or top dome

This is the bit I meant, as I said in the e-mail at the time the photo of the painted pattern you sent me had the webs spaced like below which I said did not look right so not sure what info you are using? Looks like you may have picked one of the alibre versions of Hainings parts you drew up early on rather than the corrected part.

Spacing of webs is wrong and the outer ones should be at a shallower angle.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 09:48:08 AM by Jasonb »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #292 on: May 22, 2015, 06:53:55 PM »
I forgot to mention: Horsham is another 20 minutes further away from me than going directly to Reading. Assuming no tractors  :(

Jo

Offline Rivergypsy

« Reply #293 on: October 21, 2016, 01:07:31 PM »
Just rereading your post and getting tempted to start on my plans soon - have you done any more work on this one yet, Jo?

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #294 on: October 21, 2016, 01:53:55 PM »
No, something to do with my Triples taking over the workshop of late   :embarassed:

The next step is having the cylinder cast, or rather me finishing off making the pattern...My current excuse list goes: Triples are in the way, I was going to put it and the Otto Langen patterns in at the same time but I don't have those patterns at the mo  ;) and the guy who was going to get them cast for me sneaked his Loco wheels in at the Foundry without warning me he was going to do it  >:( which would have encouraged me to spend that 1/2 a day finishing off the cylinder pattern and there are so many other things that keep getting in the way  :Doh:

And it was always supposed to be for my retirement and work seems to be avoiding making me redundant so that I can get at my pension and achieve my dream of spending every day in the workshop making swarf :rant: And now someone else has acquired a 4" traction engine to make during his retirement  :stickpoke:

Jo

Offline Rivergypsy

« Reply #295 on: October 26, 2016, 01:27:19 PM »
PMSL! I can relate to the problem of being easily distracted :)

That Otto Langen is tempting me too, but one day...

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #296 on: March 11, 2017, 04:59:34 PM »
It had to be done  :( wood   :disappointed:

Multi layers of MDF with the centre having two sheets of paper stuck to them for parting. The  :paranoia: wood has been woman handled into something that resembles a cylinder pattern. The head needs a little more work  :thinking:

After handling wood I had to spend some time recovering in the garden. So a picture for you Dave  ;)

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #297 on: March 11, 2017, 05:04:09 PM »
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm    Black Pudding, Mashed Tatties & Fried Onion Rings .....  :P  :P  :P

Dave ( One of the Many ...  :headscratch: )

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #298 on: March 11, 2017, 05:28:57 PM »
Have you put your onions in yet Dave  ;D

Tatties are in... as are the Beetroot..... Spring is here  :whoohoo:

Jo

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #299 on: March 11, 2017, 05:55:15 PM »
Have you put your onions in yet Dave  ;D

Tatties are in... as are the Beetroot..... Spring is here  :whoohoo:

Hi Jo, just got mine in as well !! this is a corner of my allotment  !!! An engineers plot one might think !! this was a corner last year.......

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal