Author Topic: Fowler BB1 in 2"  (Read 110548 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Fowler BB1 in 2"
« Reply #255 on: April 29, 2014, 06:51:34 AM »
Sorry  :-[

On a Locomotive  :-\ the boiler fits on a chassis, on a traction/ploughing engine the boiler is the chassis. So everything has to be attached to the boiler.  The crankshaft and all the other shafts need to be mounted parallel and securely to allow a gear chain from the crank to drive the crank, to do this two big plates are bolted on either side of the boiler, the horn plates:

We then need firm mounting plates for the crankshaft bearings and in the case of a ploughing engine the vertical plough shaft. These crankshaft mounting plates are known as horn brackets. The Right hand bracket is normally hidden under some of the gears, the boards and the gear changing mechanism, so difficult to see:

The left hand bracket is very shapely

as it not only holds the crankshaft bearing but also supports the big bevel gears that drive the drum:

I have started with the easier bracket  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #256 on: April 29, 2014, 07:43:02 AM »
Just one thing to clarify is that separate "Hornplates" are really only found on models, if you look at the first photo Jo posted the two vertical plates at the rear of the boiler are infact all one with the sides of the firebox.

On a model to keep scale thicknesses and to make boiler construction easier the "hornplates" are bolted to the sides of the firebox and it is these that the hornbrackets fix to

Hornplate, you can see the smaller bronze bracket at the top.

Model boiler with the firebox sides wrapped around the top. Note  bolt holes in the side

And the two together

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #257 on: April 29, 2014, 08:08:46 AM »
A note for newbies the bolt holes Jason mentions are in fact hollow stays , the hole does not connect to the water space

These are also used in loco boilers to bolt things to the boiler without compromising the pressure vessel

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Online sco

« Reply #258 on: April 29, 2014, 08:13:46 AM »
Thanks all - the horn in all it's forms now understood  ;D

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #259 on: April 29, 2014, 09:14:32 PM »
The bearing block needed some grooves milled into its side to provide a fit:

This was done on the mill to a depth of 1.5mm:

And the fit checked:

This allowed me to start on the curved surface. It was first bent to shape and checked on the bracket:

Then I got the hacksaw out and a couple of half round files and had it shaped up in about 15 mins  ;) The final challenge is fitting it. I have fitted two screws in the front:

The remainder will have to wait as I am not risking drilling and tapping such small holes on a compound curve when I am tired  :hellno:

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #260 on: May 08, 2014, 08:51:12 PM »
I am doing something but it seems so little for so much time spent  :-\ I've turned bosses, cut plate and lots of boring  :shrug: things

I started the evening by fitting the lower horizontal part of the L/H bracket to the right hand part of the rear plate.

Then I had to mill the left hand rear plate, that was a bit too tall to fit in the vice on its own so it had a couple of bits of additional plate put either side to support it whilst milling:

Time to be honest this is the second bottom plate the first one was too thin  :hammerbash: and I foolishly got carried away cutting the profile before I had fitted it to the bracket  :wallbang:

So a few hours later plate getting machined to size, 1mm grooves cut, holes drilled and tapped, screws cut down and after all of that it looks like this:

I said progress is painfully slow  :shrug:  Soon I will have to start thinking about fitting the bearing blocks to this one  :thinking:

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #261 on: July 14, 2014, 05:28:30 PM »
An update: I have just dropped off the sheet of copper for the boiler to Southern Boiler works and discussed the new design with Paul. It is radically different from the original Hanning boiler and will enable her to operate at a high enough pressure to compound  :pinkelephant:

It should be ready in three weeks.  :whoohoo:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #262 on: July 14, 2014, 05:47:12 PM »
Better stop playing with those other distractions and het on with those horn plates qand brackets so they are ready to fit.

J

PS I hope you soon recover from having to hand over the money :lolb:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #263 on: August 07, 2014, 07:20:22 AM »
:whoohoo:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #264 on: August 07, 2014, 07:25:59 AM »
We assume it passed?

The moths better watch out ;)

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #265 on: August 07, 2014, 07:39:03 AM »
Jo

It just needs a hair cut and a quick polish , a protective wrap and it all yours , after you have exchanged some wine tokens  :Love:

It's not as big as I thought but then I was used to the loco scaling not traction engine terms
Am I correct it's two inches to the foot ?

As you know loco,s are scaled on the gauge which makes narrow gauge one,s big for the same gauge track

Looking forward to the build

Stuart

Offline Steam Haulage

• Notts UK
« Reply #266 on: August 07, 2014, 08:00:41 AM »
Hi Jo,

I've been eagerly following your BB1 build since Jason and yourself explained some of the ploughing gear to me a while ago.

Seeing the boiler under test  :ThumbsUp:has reminded me to re-read your whole thread with the intention of starting my own construction, once my MEMCorliss is complete.

It's really good to see the way you work, using the same sort of determination to overcome the difficulties which the fitters would have met whilst making the full-size machines.

Thank you

Jerry :old:
Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you, pigs treat you as equal.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #267 on: August 07, 2014, 08:10:05 AM »
Stuart it's a 5" dia barrel, 22 1/2" overall boiler length if that helps you visualise the size.

Yes 2" to the foot or 1/6th scale, original had a 30 3/4" boiler
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 08:13:37 AM by Jasonb »

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #268 on: August 07, 2014, 09:26:11 AM »
Thanks Jason

It's about the size of the one Paul did for my BR class 4 tank

It's the one in my avatar that's Paul's pic of it on test

Jo will have to go to the gym to lug it about then ,if it's anything like the heft of the class 4 one

Alas all the loco,s have now gone to heavy when you are on crutches

Thanks for the scale confirmation so unlike loco,s it's an actual scale ,not a gauge scale

Stuart

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #269 on: August 07, 2014, 02:03:38 PM »
 :whoohoo: I've been invited to go and collect it.  :whoohoo:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal