Author Topic: Whistle Times 3  (Read 6798 times)

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Whistle Times 3
« on: September 27, 2013, 09:12:23 PM »
Whistle times 3

While waiting for the paint to dry on the firebox castings, I got onto the whistle. Someone told me that a proper boiler needs a whistle. I'm looking at this one as a prototype. I love the sound of a multiple chime whistle and started with this piece of 1.25" brass. which will be the body.  Initially, the short cutoff piece was going to be the bottom but, with the "plans" in my head, that changed down the line.

Faced and generally squared up.

Since this is to be a three chime whistle, I set up a bolt hole pattern on the DRO and used a .5" end mill to give me the recesses for the whistle pipes.

Ended up here. Depth is .200.

Then, through holes were drilled. These allow air to get to the whistles.

Flipped the body over and used a 1" end mill to carve out a recess for the air chamber.

The original concept for doing the cutouts in the pipes. First the bandsaw to rough them out.

Then a triangular file in Oliver to clean up the bandsaw cuts.

That got me here.

Reading everything I could find on small steam whistles showed a better, and more precise way to make the openings in the pipes. So, here's Plan B.

New piece of .5" OD pipe. Edge located.

[

An End mill, .375 from the edge. Make a pass, raise table, repeat until the width of the opening is .25"

Then bring the 5C collet block up to 45 degrees and make the knife edge at the top of the opening.

Turned this piece on the lathe. Wide diameters fit into the whistle pipes and the center recess is for an air chamber. The 5C collet then moves to the mill to cross drill an air passage and mill the flat where the air will exit.

Then back to the lathe to drill an air passage from the bottom to intersect the cross-drilled passage.

The finished piece.

Test fit in the whistle tube.

Looking in the bottom hole, the cross-drilled air passage is visible.

Everything soldered together. Air inlet pipe (¼-40 thread) is in the side of the body. Didn't spend much time filing and cleaning up, as I'm going to remake the whole thing now that I have the process somewhat refined.

I'm going to do a CoC while my notes are still on the bench and in my head. I'll post it if anyone is interested. It does sound like a whistle. I plan on getting to a video over the weekend so you can hear it. Toot. Toot.

Best,
Stan

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Whistle Times 3
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 09:24:31 PM »

I'm going to do a CoC while my notes are still on the bench and in my head. I'll post it if anyone is interested. It does sound like a whistle. I plan on getting to a video over the weekend so you can hear it. Toot. Toot.

[/quote]

Abso-freakin-blutely!    ;D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 01:38:35 AM by steamer »
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 09:44:02 PM »
A very nice result indeed Stan. Can't wait to hear how it sounds!!

Bill

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 11:18:06 PM »
It gets better. I just found plans for a whistle valve that uses a Schrader tire valve. Looks like tomorrow is whistle valve day. (after I do the usual required Saturday stuff)
Best,
Stan

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 11:39:21 PM »
Well, I just love to hear a man toot his own horn :lolb: :lolb:. Stan, I've been thinking about whistles also. It would give me something in the shop to entertain (run off) visitors. BearCar1 sent me some great plans, just ain't followed up on the machining process. Challenge accepted by the way. Now, by the way, I'm an alcoholic and professional dranker, come equipped (hey, it's Friday).

Cheers and a toot
Whiskey

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 01:39:18 AM »
I have a whistle like that made by Ray Hasbrouck....I'm going to put it on my boat.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 02:24:11 AM »
Dave
Made by Ray himself? Damn!!
Best,
Stan

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 04:27:16 AM »
YUP

Bought it from his son when I picked up Ray's mill......

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 05:35:50 AM »
 :ShakeHead: .....Stan says "Didn't spend much time filing and cleaning up, as I'm going to remake the whole thing now that I have the process somewhat refined"

:censored: ...not sure if this is the best procedure Stan..........all of those ragged edges in the whistle mouth/s....will alter the tonal resonance :facepalm: .......

If you want a truly unique & true sound...... :Director:....file & polish those whistle surfaces.......
Have you ever seen a clarinet, trumpet or any other woodwind or brass instrument with raggered edges? ....... :disappointed: Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 06:50:49 AM »
 Derek
Thanks for the comment. I absolutely and totally agree. Since i was "flying blind" with no drawings, today's whistle was mainly to check that my dimensions were roughly correct and to devise setups and order of operations.
If you've seen some of my other builds, you know that I'm a bit crazy with fit and finish.
The (hopefully) final whistle build will have my head magnifier in place, the diamond jeweler's files at hand, wooden coffee stirring sticks (thank you Starbucks) with 6 grits of wet/dry glued to them and the Foredom loaded up with dental carbide and diamond burrs.
I really do encourage and appreciate all comments and learn something from each one.  I'm finding that whistles are a lot more art and intuition than merely following drawings. Every variable changes something.
I'm sure that as the whistle build progresses, I'll have questions.
Best,
Stan

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 06:10:51 PM »
Stan,
While it's still in the experimental stage you might try sliding plugs in the top end. Move each up and down to modify the tone.
Alan

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 06:43:16 PM »
I did! What fun
Best,
Stan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal