Author Topic: Text-book of Advanced Machine Work Robert H. Smith 1852-1916  (Read 5564 times)

Offline gmac

• British Columbia Canada
Text-book of Advanced Machine Work Robert H. Smith 1852-1916
« on: September 18, 2013, 06:48:45 PM »
For the sake of the beginners here like me......

This is a book I purchased (for a reasonable price from Lindsay's Books? before they were gone) three years ago and found useful. Originally copyrighted in 1910. I've since found a digital copy online and find myself going back to it regularly enough. It's mainly for lathe and mill operations; with a certain amount of material on planing/grinding/shaping.

http://archive.org/details/textbookofadvanc00smituoft

It covers much of what a new machinist would be looking for - does a nice job of describing cutting tool angle for various materials and applications, the basics of turning, fits and tolerances, making and using mandrels/arbors, milling operations. 1265 pages.

As a modeller you'll find info on crankshaft turning, eccentric turning, cylinder boring, bolt and nut making (who describes that any more!), gear cutting, lapping, gage making, locating using plugs and buttons.

Judging by the amount of highlighting and margin notes in my hard copy it's proven itself. One of those books I keep grabbing when I want a read and always find something else I need. Unlike many of the new machining books I've encountered these old guys took the time to explain things and were more generous with sharing their tips and tricks.

In a nutshell;

1. there's a wealth of engineering and design info in the old texts, particularly if you lean to steam and hit&miss engines
2. a lot of the old methodologies are more useful to the home machinist (unless you're a CNC type)
3. there's tons of literature out there in pdf form for nothing
4. I've got a Kobo ereader loaded with this stuff that goes everywhere

Here's another starting point;

http://www.digitalbookindex.com/_search/search010engineeringenginesinternalcombustiona.asp

Cheers Garry

Offline Tjark

• Woldendorp, Netherlands
Re: Text-book of Advanced Machine Work Robert H. Smith 1852-1916
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 09:43:39 PM »
Garry, thanks for this link.

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
Re: Text-book of Advanced Machine Work Robert H. Smith 1852-1916
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 04:19:32 AM »
and a big thank you from me.
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal