Author Topic: Rear stops for a milling machine table  (Read 3230 times)

Offline Mainer

Rear stops for a milling machine table
« on: September 26, 2013, 12:06:44 PM »
Quite a while ago I drilled and tapped a line of holes about 3" apart along the back of my milling machine table, after verifying that the back of the table is parallel to the table travel. These holes have proved to be very handy for attaching work stops along the back of the table.

I also verified that it is possible to remove my mill's table, balance it edge-up on the saddle with one hand, and drill the tapping holes by pulling the quill handle with the other. I think a rope slung from a ceiling joist may have played a part as well.  I'm not sure I particularly recommend this stunt to drill the holes, but it worked for me.

Arbalest

Re: Rear stops for a milling machine table
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 10:09:18 AM »
What mill do you have?

Offline Mainer

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 02:39:14 PM »
A Jet JVM-840, no longer sold.

Offline jwcnc1911

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 04:52:26 PM »
Not a bad idea at all.  You can also put a fence down the back like a surface grinder.

Folks are usually pretty picky about their mill tables but I have drilled and reamed dowel holes to locate fixture plates in brand new CNC mills before.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
----------
JW

Arbalest

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 06:53:48 PM »
Ah, I see Mainer. I wondered because many mills seem to have slots at the front of the table for stops, seems your's doesn't?!

Offline Mainer

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 06:23:12 AM »
It does have a T-slot along the front edge of the table, but I used that to attach my DRO. Or more precisely, I used it to attach a piece of 6063 aluminum angle under which I tucked the DRO's X scale for protection.

While this undoubtedly adds protection for the DRO and incidentally also adds a convenient narrow shelf along the front edge of the table, it does somewhat complicate the DRO's installation. While 6063 has "square corners" and "legs of uniform thickness," the corners aren't *that* square nor are the legs all that precisely of uniform thickness -- at least not within mounting tolerance for a DRO. Hence, one has to spot-drill flat mounting points and fuss with alignment more than one would if mounting directly to the table.

Anyway, the DRO mounting occupies the front table slot. I put it on the front so I wouldn't have to give up an inch or so of Y table travel that would have been lost with the scale mounted on the back of the table.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 06:32:19 AM by Mainer »

Arbalest

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 01:56:46 PM »
Ah, I see!  ;)  All is clear now. I'd probably have done the same as you  if I had a DRO which is a shame as I find the front mounted stops really useful.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal