Author Topic: Muncaster's Joys Valve Engine  (Read 159489 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Muncaster's Joys Valve Engine
« Reply #525 on: February 16, 2015, 05:12:17 PM »
Hi Simon

That valve assembly is a real nice piece of of work! I enjoyed you taking us through the whole process.

Thanks!
Dave

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #526 on: February 16, 2015, 05:31:27 PM »
Now to the linkages that open and close the drain cocks.

I decided to go for a handle on the outside, riding in a bronze boss, connecting to a parallel linkage on the inside. First, the "frame" for the parallel linkage is a bit of bar with three holes which will have bronze bearings, and two stud holes (lower in photo):

Hey Simon

I was just looking at that picture and thought "wait a minute - I know that lever!"
Here you can see why:

Cheers Florian

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #527 on: February 16, 2015, 05:42:17 PM »
Thanks for the comments Jason, Stuart, Dave, ShopShoe and Florian!

Jason

If you only used one valve piped to each end it would breath though the pipe and not get full cylinder pressure each side

Think of it as a bypass to the piston

But you could bring the pipes to a common valve which, in the closed position blocks them both off, but in the open position opens them both to exhaust, right? I imagine some kind of D-shaped valve blocking two holes in the closed position.

Florian, it's funny that we have such similar parts! It was so long ago when I made mine that I can't even remember whether I used the rotary table to make it  :facepalm2:

Simon

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #528 on: February 16, 2015, 05:57:21 PM »
Or a simple ball in each pipe union where it joins the cylinder to act as a non return valve.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #529 on: February 16, 2015, 06:16:01 PM »
Simon glad to see you back on this project. Love the valve saga good education.  :ThumbsUp:

:popcorn:

Don

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #530 on: February 16, 2015, 06:43:21 PM »
 But with separate cocks you can set the timing blind by putting a low air on the steam chest and with a tube on the cock you can check when the valve opens, also you can test for valve leaks

Just my 2 pence

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #531 on: February 16, 2015, 07:16:56 PM »
That's a splendid guide to making taper valves and linkages  :praise2: Thank you  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #532 on: February 16, 2015, 07:19:06 PM »
Hi Simon, good to see you back at this build. A lot of tiny parts you have made there and also the function seems to work perfect.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #533 on: February 17, 2015, 06:12:33 PM »
Very nice Simon. On my old 5" gauge loco (8F I think) called Twin Sisters there were just pipes all going to a central valve as you said.

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #534 on: June 01, 2015, 07:43:22 AM »
After an overly long hiatus, I'm back on this build now.

I picked up a bit of rosewood shelving from a wood recycler in Mendocino, and sawed it up to form the base. It's odd stuff; there are seams in it that won't take a plane in either direction, but it machines like a dream, and sands very nicely:

I did have to whip up a bit of plywood to bolt to the milling table to hold the thing though:

and that gave me enough clamping room to run a router bit along the edges:

Here it is, as yet unfinished:

I also made a hand wheel for the forward-reverse mechanism. This started as a brass disk with a central hole silver-soldered onto a bit of 3/8 rod. The edge was then rounded with some form tools, and the central portion thinned out. Then I set it up on the rotary table to cut 4 spokes:

I took the easy approach and kept the spokes an even thickness, instead of tapering them:

and after a bit of time with the files and little strips of emery paper, it looks like this:

This weekend was mostly taken up with making some brass cladding for the cylinder block. This isn't shown on the original plans, but I think it'll make a nice finish, and add some insulation. I did consider hammering this out from brass sheet, but decided to just mill it to shape.

Not having any 1/8" brass plate of the appropriate size, I cut some sheets in the bandsaw from a larger block:

The flat size was superglued to a hunk of cast iron which I'd previously squared up, and a step around the edges was milled, and the top face squared off:

Now it was a case of cutting four angled faces:

and drilling the holes around the edges:

Two covers done, though I'll round off the edges a bit to make it look more like pressed cladding:

We're really getting down to the last few parts now! Thanks for watching  :cheers:

Simon

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
« Reply #535 on: June 01, 2015, 04:47:05 PM »
It's always a pleasure to catch up with this build. And kudos on that hand wheel . polished to perfection!

yours

peter

Offline kvom

« Reply #536 on: June 01, 2015, 06:49:42 PM »
The covers are skillfully made, but I prefer the side cavities you took such pains to machine, esp. if you plan to paint.

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #537 on: June 01, 2015, 07:04:46 PM »
Hi Simon, good to see you back at this project.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #538 on: June 01, 2015, 07:10:47 PM »
It's good to see more on this engine. The cladding is spectacular!

--Tim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #539 on: June 01, 2015, 07:30:52 PM »
Very nice Simon; and I agree with Tim it is nice to see some progress on this interesting project. But who am I to talk.

Dave
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 01:48:03 AM by Dave Otto »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal