Author Topic: Muncaster's Joys Valve Engine  (Read 159879 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Muncaster's Joys Valve Engine
« Reply #435 on: August 24, 2014, 06:38:58 AM »
Beautiful work on that valve control link Simon!  And as usual, an excellent and instructive post.
Thanks for sharing!
Kim

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #436 on: August 24, 2014, 08:22:39 AM »
So if that was the final "moving" part how much more is there to go Simon?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #437 on: August 24, 2014, 05:35:49 PM »
So if that was the final "moving" part how much more is there to go Simon?

Thanks for checking in, Jo!

Let's see! The oil wells around the slides (I have a plan for that). Bearing caps, finish the main bearings. Exhaust piping and exit hole through the base. Move that control handle anchor point. Flywheel (either fabricate or find a 6" casting), and maybe a pulley on the other side. Lots of studs. Try to find a way to put in drain cocks, and a lever mechanism for those. And of course lots of finishing, paint and base.

Simon

Offline smfr

« Reply #438 on: August 25, 2014, 06:26:09 AM »
I couldn't resist having a bit of a play today before I strip it down to work on the base:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfMuo1V9m9k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfMuo1V9m9k</a>

Sorry about the compressor noise  :-[  This engine uses enough air to keep my little airbrush compressor running full time.

There's a bit of clunking. I think one cause is the flywheel being a bit loose, so I'll bash the key a few times with a hammer to widen it out and try again.

Thanks for watching!

Simon

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #439 on: August 25, 2014, 07:11:36 AM »
 :headscratch: So how big is the flywheel you have on there at the moment? Any plans for what type you are going to fit?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline smfr

« Reply #440 on: August 25, 2014, 07:15:20 AM »
:headscratch: So how big is the flywheel you have on there at the moment? Any plans for what type you are going to fit?

That one is about 6-3/4" in diameter. I just ordered some bits of tubing to fabricate one of a more appropriate size :naughty:

Simon

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #441 on: August 25, 2014, 07:32:28 AM »
Simon, that's glorious. Hugh.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #442 on: August 25, 2014, 07:34:20 AM »
That is really looking good Simon.

Vince

Offline Stilldrillin

• Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #443 on: August 25, 2014, 09:06:29 AM »
Almost, poetry, Simon!   

David D
David.
Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!
Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #444 on: August 25, 2014, 03:50:43 PM »
That's beautiful Simon!  I couldn't watch the video on my tablet so I didn't see it till this morning, but that's just fabulous!  :Love: I finally get how that reversing gizmo works now, and that is really slick!  Seeing it in action is just amazing.

Thanks for posting the video!
Kim

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #445 on: August 25, 2014, 07:27:30 PM »
Hi Simon, good to see the baby is alive. Nice movement of all these links and rods. A perfect job has been made there. Now we will wait for the final installation with all coming painting and other cosmetics. Thanks for sharing all these with us.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #446 on: August 25, 2014, 07:31:19 PM »
Simon that is a joy to watch running. Such smooth motions, like Dave said poetry in motion. I like............. :praise2:

Don

Offline smfr

« Reply #447 on: September 01, 2014, 07:47:20 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone!

While doing some slightly tedious shaping on the base, I've been trying to figure out an arrangement for the drain cocks.

I'm thinking of something like this:

The drain cocks have to project down to clear the top plate of the base. They are connected by a linkage so that all four cocks open at once. The linkage runs on two spindles that go through the base wall, and are driven by a central lever connected to an external handle. The links pivot 90deg to open and close the cocks. (I haven't shown any plumbing for the drains, but will probably bring the four together and exhaust them under the main exhaust).

Outside the handle looks a bit like this, and you can see two nuts which are the ends of the spindles.

So, I would like feedback on this mechanism. Do I have enough mechanical advantage with the main lever? Is the linkage strong enough to turn all four drain cocks? To give some idea of size, the rod from which the links are made is 3/32" (about 2.4mm).

Thanks for any input  :cheers:
Simon

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #448 on: September 01, 2014, 08:09:10 PM »
For an idea of size these are the ones on my traction engine. The same lever will do 4 valves on the compound version

Lever on actual valve is 1/2"

The vertical rocking lever is 7/8" on the short end and 2 5/32" on the long end which would equate to an actual lever of 1 9/32"

The long rod is 1/8" dia and the flat section between the two valves is 1/8 x 1/16

Thats a 9" flywheel to get an idea of scale

To keep the end of your lever looking nice and slim like you have it I would form a square on the end of the shaft and make a matching square hole in the lever, retain on the shaft with a nut.

Probably no need for the lever to have its own pivot, put it on the end of one shaft and just link to the other, links could also go on the outside as its a shame to hide them
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 08:13:04 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #449 on: September 01, 2014, 08:13:46 PM »
The drain plugs look to me to have taper seats. How finely can they be adjusted as they will be the major load? I would use a larger 1/8 / 3.2 mm tube to couple the valve and use a larger diameter pivot for the lever. The lever itself looks long enough.

Still following along, keep up the magnificent work  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal