Author Topic: Workshop Addition - Mill  (Read 6594 times)

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Workshop Addition - Mill
« on: September 15, 2013, 10:42:14 PM »
Hi folks!

I haven't been on the forum for quite a while. This is simply because once spring hits, my other pass time of motorcycling kicks in, and I spend the time riding around, rather than making swarf.

However, in readiness for the end of the year, I acquired a new machine tool, in the form of this Grizzly G0755 vertical mill. Naturally I wanted to show it off - so here goes.

It took me 7 hours of thinking, trying, testing, putzing, drinking tea, thinking and trying different combinations, to finally come up with the right arrangement. In the end, I had to purchase two shackles to get it done, but 12 bucks is not bad - if northern tool were closer I would likely have started throwing money at more lifting straps and so on.

But here we go:

Shoppe space cleared

Approaching the door

Rolling through - just clearing the top of the door

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand...IN!

I thought the tough part was going to be rolling a 1200 pound machine over that threshold, but actually with that sheet of alumunium, although it buckled to crap, the hoist and machine rolled right over without damaging the threshold. :thumb

Then it was a matter of rolling it into position

Then getting the shoppe back in order

And then a some happy time cleaning the shipping rust preventive off the machine, and getting it lubed and shiny.

It still needs to be anchored down, so I have to move it again, but now I have that figured out, it's no problem. Plus I don't have the same height constraint to just move it a few feet in the shoppe.

I did fire it up - runs great. Haven't cut metal yet, but I have spent several happy hours cleaning off the shipping rust preventive coating, and cleaning and lubing everything. I also performed the running in procedure on the gear head, and changed the oil. With that done, it is ready to cut metal. I do need to obtain a milling vise and a few other things, which I shall do over the next month or so. Once fall is over and the nights draw in, the motorcycles will go into hibernation and I will be back on model engines - as well as some custom parts for the motorbikes.

Anyway, good to be back. Although I haven't been posting, I've been looking in and observing some of the goings on.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Workshop Addition - Mill
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 10:56:19 PM »
Welcome back Prop, and what a nice addition to the shop too. We will be expecting great things now over the winter from you :)

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 11:30:01 PM »
Niiiiiice!!!!....

Welcome Back!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 12:51:50 AM »
Nice Grizzly! Welcome back.

Don

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 12:03:06 PM »
Gutsy looking beast, have fun with it!

Cheers, Hugh.

Arbalest

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 01:14:37 PM »
Nice mill! Those engine hoists come in handy don't they. I recently used one to split my knee mill into three parts for a house move. Sadly it's still in three bits ...

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 05:19:51 PM »
Thanks fellas. I'm looking forward to cutting metal with it.

That engine hoist has paid for itself many times over. A very handy piece of kit to have around.
Stuart

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 06:06:23 PM »
Nice addition to the shop, Prop  :ThumbsUp:

And I have to admit - I'm very envious now; not of the mill, but your shop in general...  So nice and clean and uncluttered...  Even the machinery comes in matching colours!

Is that a power feed you have on the Z axis of the mill? - The machine's pretty much the same as mine, but a power feed on Z would sure save a lot of heavy cranking.

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 10:16:40 PM »
Thanks Arnold- a tidy shop is a happy shop I say. But then I say a lot of things - but I do like this space, it is nice and bright.

The mill does indeed have a polwer feed on the Z axis, and also on the X axis. It still has the manual crank for the Z axis, as back up, and that was very important for the move, as I had to reposition the gear head for lifting. The power feed is a really nice feature.

Today, I am looking at milling vises!
Stuart

Arbalest

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 10:29:27 PM »
Even the machinery comes in matching colours!
Kind regards, Arnold

Yes I noticed that except the engine hoist clashes terribly with the Grizzly stuff...  :ROFL: not really, it's a nice contrast!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 10:38:25 PM »
except the engine hoist clashes terribly with the Grizzly stuff.

It does! And because of that, it gets relegated to the shed. If it won't conform to the colour scheme, then it can jolly well stay out of sight.  :D
Stuart

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
Prop, great looking shop. So open and neat, which I think promotes productivity. If you need to keep the hoist in the shop I think Grizzly sells their equipment paint 8) By the way some of the wall art looks pretty good also >:D

Whiskey

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 12:50:40 AM »
Oh yes........... :embarassed:

I forget sometimes what can end up in the shot. Personally I think the P38 is a wonderful aeroplane.
Stuart

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal