Author Topic: New to me Albrecht Chuck  (Read 6718 times)

Arbalest

Re: New to me Albrecht Chuck
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 11:25:11 AM »
I had the exact same dilemma of stuck Albrecht arbors, but lacked the skill you have, so I sent the chuck to Albrecht in New York and they popped them out, overhauled the chucks, and sent them back like new. I think it cost about $25.00.
Mosey

Sounds like a bargain!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 12:00:49 PM »
I had the exact same dilemma of stuck Albrecht arbors, but lacked the skill you have, so I sent the chuck to Albrecht in New York and they popped them out, overhauled the chucks, and sent them back like new. I think it cost about $25.00.
Mosey

Sounds like a bargain!

It does doesn't it? :ThumbsUp:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 12:48:40 PM »
Experience is a great teacher heh?

What did Dave learn from this most excellent adventure?
Albrecht will do it for you cheap!

If you don't want the old arbor...the pin and push method works great!  ....and

Well....Baring sending off to someone, the next time I would do the following ( straight shank arbor only) ...if I was so inclined to save the arbor, I would make up a steel bushing about 1.25" OD but with an ID equal to the reduced center shank of the arbor and about the same length.    I would drill and tap it for (2) 1/4-20 screws and then split it.    Next I would attach the bushing and tighten the screws which will give me a collar to push against without damaging the ground shank surfaces.    Then....Id push it off using the wedges and appropriate spacer washers  in the mill vise....no drama

With a taper shank arbor,  with a tang, I would cross drill the tang for a pin and push against that

For a taper shank with a draw bar....that one is easy.

For a taper shank without a tang, if it's soft, I would drill and tap it for the standard draw bar thread and use that to push against.

For a hard taper shank without a draw bar or tang.....Call Albrecht!

But considering I've only ever HAD to do this ONCE in 20 plus years...I'll just file that one away in the notebook for future reference. 8)

And....if you can get the used Albrecht on CL with the right arbor for $25 more than without the right arbor...go for it! :ThumbsUp:

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 03:43:37 PM »
My arbor

« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 11:22:00 AM by steamer »
Damned ijjit!

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
Nice pictures, Dave.
I'm not so smart. What I really wanted from them, was to put the new arbors on true, but they just sent them back in  the box loose. I put one of them on my Chinese little drill press, now it's "sensitive". (like me).
Mosey  in Paris

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal