Author Topic: New feed pump for the boat.  (Read 26234 times)

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: New feed pump for the boat.
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2014, 06:11:04 PM »
Well hello all,

Spent some time up at Lee's Mills and got some of my steamboat fix going.      I'm going to get into some more work on this pump, and perhaps a few other things as well.....as time allows.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2014, 06:21:15 PM »
and perhaps a few other things as well.....as time allows.

:naughty: not a certain engine that I was tempted to pick up a set of bronze :Love: castings for.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2014, 06:44:54 PM »
If a bronze engine is what you have in mind....wait till I post some pictures of one I saw this past weekend..... :o

In a word......Elegant!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2014, 12:54:13 AM »
I'm going far simpler as to pumps, and running it all at reduced speed off the prop shaft with a timing belt.    The pumps will go under the aft bench, out of the footwell.   I will be removing the hot well, and dump my condensate overboard.   Need the foot space.     I have a pump layout that I think is easy to build, easy to service and has a modicum of efficiency.

More to come

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2014, 08:43:06 PM »
I saw a few steam launches in Scotland in 2012 and they all had about a meter of tube outside the hull and under water, and that was the condenser - very simple and efficient. I have a few pictures of the very beautify boats, but unfortunately not with much technical details.

Offline K.B.C

« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2014, 12:07:29 PM »
I'm going far simpler as to pumps, and running it all at reduced speed off the prop shaft with a timing belt.    The pumps will go under the aft bench, out of the footwell.   I will be removing the hot well, and dump my condensate overboard.   Need the foot space.     I have a pump layout that I think is easy to build, easy to service and has a modicum of efficiency.

More to come

Dave

Dave,
On reading your post on a boiler feed pump I thought that this would be of interest.

Some years ago I built a steam plant with a single cylinder double acting engine using a Stuart 5A casting only with the other parts built from stock.
Boiler was a Yarrow type with 50 down tubes each side and fired by a gas burner.

The engine driven feed pump is of the ball valve type, 1- for suction and 1- for delivery driven via an eccentric on the main shaft with a bleed valve to adjust delivery to the boiler, it also had a hand operated feed pump mounted on the engine bed plate, all very simple and effective.

The eccentric pump was 1/2bore x 1" stroke and delivered too much water to the boiler ,hence the by pass valve.

The plant was to go into a Canadian 4- man canoe until I discovered the weight of one and abandoned the idea as it was far to heavy for this old guy to handle, I had visions of cruising on Loch Lomond about 1/2 hr from me or cruising along the Forth and Clyde canal that runs thro' my town, one lived on dreams.

Here are some pics of the unit for your perusal.

George.

P.S. The engine had so much power it would break your arm trying to stop it at 80 p.s.i.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 12:10:31 PM by K.B.C »
Your never too old to learn.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2014, 12:19:58 PM »
Yup....gotta love steam!....over 2 HP from mine..   ( 1.5 x 3.0 x 2.5 compound @ 160 psig)

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2014, 01:11:18 AM »
The leaves are changing....and I'll be in the shop more I think.   The indoor racing season is coming now...but I think the Losi will be far less maintenance....at least that's what I'm counting on.

That means back at some projects that have been ......hmmmm     lingering doesn't seem strong enough a word......

In any case

I've been doodling a wet air pump as well and I think I can make a side by side pair of pumps to the same design driven by the same belt.   If I time the wet air pump 180 out of phase to the feed pump the load will not increase at all, and I'll have an even power load.    Just might work.   I'll lay it all out and let you guys see what I'm getting on about.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2014, 01:20:04 AM »
More shop time?? What is that? lol.  I feel your pain Dave, but the racing circuit (even if local) has been a wild ride for all of us following your and William's adventures. Even so, making some metal chips will be great! :)

Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind on the pump.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal