Author Topic: New feed pump for the boat.  (Read 26246 times)

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
New feed pump for the boat.
« on: September 11, 2013, 03:05:29 AM »
I've been running a cross head driven feed and wet air pump on my launch engine.   Problem is at the speed my engine runs, 550 rpm...they are not very efficient.  This makes tending the boiler and engine a chore...at best.  Working on these pumps in a very cramped bilge is near impossible...I end up taking the whole pump system out, and working on it on the bench....problematic when you on the lake!...

So....A change I think is due

I watched some very nice running boats running this weekend, with no wet air pumps, running condensing...but just fine.  They are running with the exhaust from the condenser exiting under water.  This rig results in a fairly low vacuum...5-15 in Hg...max!....but it's very consistent...and doesn't require the power to run a wet air pump...and to boot...there is no pump maintenance.  This results in running the water your floating in into the boiler...but that isn't really that much of a problem around here..as the water isn't that hard.

Additionally, most of the boats are running Hypro pumps ....or ....one of Ray Habrouck's pumps..specifically the pump from #8 engine.
I have the drawings for this engine and pump...and it's very similar to the hypro pump...but smaller....still....It has 7 times the flow of my pump....which I can manage with a bypass valve or reduced stroke or both.

These pumps are usually belt driven off the propeller shaft....at reduced speed.  If I do this, I can ditch the bow tank, put a pair of battery bank in , add running lights and my spot light....and probably have a easier boat to maintain as the pump will be under the seat aft, which is much more accessible.

This will take a which but I'll post it here.
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
Re: New feed pump for the boat.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 03:10:15 AM »
Oh and I gain some floor space from the lack of pumps, and the associated plumbing...and I can ditch the hot well all together.

I also plan to add some more economizer to the boiler, put in new rings, and repitch the propeller UP to 16 x 20 from 16 x 18...which should drop the engine speed a bit...and reduce my steam consumption, which the economizer should result in a higher overall steam output underway...

With the hot well out of the way, I can build wood bunkers either side of the boiler.    All in all I think it's a good way to go.

Any thoughts out there?

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 08:32:39 AM »
 :pics:

We need a picture of your pump, (won't complain if you include a picture of the engine  8)) , some pictures of what other might have so that we have a better idea of the alternatives.

And then we will give you more ideas/opinions than you can shake a cat at  :lolb: If you are lucky the odd one might actually work  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 10:47:22 AM »
Hypro Pump

http://www.paulbparts.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/sprayer-parts/piston-pumps-under-constructio/5330CXhyproPistonPump.jpg

Hasbrouck #8 engine with  pump
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/AzhxjrZczdU/hqdefault.jpg
You will notice that it is timing belt driven off the crank...Additionally, the crank has 4 repositionable crank pin positions resulting in 4 different flow rates.

No real photo of the pumps specifically in my boat....in the photo below, the pumps are just to the right and below the white bucket with the Charcoal in it at below deck level...additionally, the green bucket above...which is the hot well would also go away....and my bunkers could then go either side of the boiler....which would open up space for the port side aft passenger.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 10:51:14 AM »
And actually, I think the pump could go right underneath the output shaft before the hanger bearing and the brass guard....nice and neat.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 11:28:00 AM »
Looking for installation pictures of the Hypro pumps...but can't find any at the moment....but...they are all usually driven off the crank or engine with either a chain or a timing belt....like the Hasbrouck photo.   The hypro's are vertically disposed twin opposing pistons driven off a central crank with integral check valves.   They are very robust...and a bit pricey....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »
OK....got the brass for the feed pump yesterday....1 x 2 x 12"....more than enough.

I'm going to build the Hasbrouck #8 pump.....perhaps with a modified base to mount to my boat as compared to a #8 engine...additionally, I'll be using "shuttles" instead of brass or stainless balls for the check valves....but 95% to print.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 12:27:28 PM »
I bet that is a pretty piece of bar stock. I'd have to polish it up and look at it for awhile before I could start cutting on it ;)

Whiskey

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 12:42:05 PM »
Hi Dave,
This will be something a little different. I'll keep an eye on it. What may I ask are shuttle valves?
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 01:54:04 PM »
George,

I know Jo posted a picture of a spool check valve a few days ago...but can't find it at the moment.

It is a round T shaped plug with scalloped sides and a O ring to seal against.  This replaces a Ball check valve.

They are very reliable.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 04:15:16 AM »
aaaaarh batten the mainsail and raise the bilges matey and prepare to be boarded and walk the plank.....
ok my bit done and dusted.
Now my question, if I may, is about your engine and ancillaries. Do the owners of some of the said vessels make their own engines and boilers or must they be purchased from a manufacturer? The reason I ask is that I see the steam engines on this site built to very high standards and wonder if it is allowed by various authorities.
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 08:18:15 AM »
Oh definitely built by owners.....for the most part....others bought....the "Manufactured" ones aren't necessarily better....it has been found.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

fcheslop

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 10:42:45 AM »
Hi Dave, The pic was in the Boiler feed pump Mr SShire recently did.I think
That is one sweet boat . Is the boiler along the lines of the Blackstaff as in Modern Steam Launches book.
The SBA in the UK has a load of very good info and Selway Fisher do some nice drawings I built the Felix some time ago
cheers

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 10:52:51 AM »
The PMR pump is very similar...but Ray's is a Bar stock build and was originally designed to go on the #8 engine.    I could have done the PMR and engineered the drive...but I want a bit of Ray on board!

I  have a plan set from Selway Fisher for the Indian runner...but didn't build that....when I lofted it, I just didn't like it......I am glad I did the Panatella ....although 6" wider and with a bit different narrower fantail on her....she's nearly double ended!....and is quite fast on the water.

The boiler is very "Blackstaffe"....as well as the engine...though I have  piston valves on mine.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

fcheslop

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 11:10:45 AM »
Thanks Dave, I keep looking at the boat pics and its becoming sooo tempting.
I have the Selway Fisher Explorer canoe plans and keep thinking a nice little 2inch bore and stroke would just fit in nicely :lolb: with a flash steam generator.
I have been looking for some Torpedo Launch drawings to build a scale model do you know of any boat yards that supply them.
Many thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal