Author Topic: Oregon GEARS 2013  (Read 8552 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Oregon GEARS 2013
« on: September 11, 2013, 12:31:37 AM »
If you haven’t heard the Oregon GEARS show is going to happen again this year.
The venue has changed but the dates are the same September 28 &29.

This year’s show will be held at the Oregon Rail Heritage Center in Portland.

http://www.orhf.org/

http://gears.cbnetsolutions.net/

Hopefully with a good turnout this year, this great show in the beautiful Pacific Northwest will continue on for many years to come.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Oregon GEARS 2013
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 02:18:55 AM »
Drats...i will be in Portland, but not until the next weekend  :shrug: I would love to be able tp go to the GEARS show just once. I hope it will be a success so it can continue.

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 02:59:37 AM »
I'll be there!  I think the new venue will work out well.  I think there will be more parking - maybe not quite as much RV, which could be a problem I hear.

Last year's GEARS is what got me into this hobby! :)  I couldn't resist picking up one of the little GEARS casting sets.  They had them at 1/2 price, thinking it was the last year and all, wanted to get rid of the inventory I guess.

I'm excited to see it this year at the rail museum. There are some really nice full size steam engines there (locomotives that is), and that will add to the fun of all the model engines!

Maybe I'll meet some of you?  Dave, I take it you'll be there?
Kim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 11:27:46 PM »
Hi Kim

Yes I will be there; I have my motel reservations and also have sent my entry in. I'm hoping that it will turn out to be a great show. I understand they are trying to attract all types of home shop machinists and their projects; not just engines, it will be interesting to see what all shows up.

I will be bringing 3 of my hot air fans along with the work in progress Pacific vapor engine.

Bill sorry you are going to miss the show; I would have enjoyed being able to meet you. Last year Chuck Fellows made it up from Texas; its always fun to meat other forum members.

Dave

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 12:51:47 AM »
Well the brass is polished and everything loaded; My buddy Max and I will be heading for Portland Oregon early in the morning, it's about a 7 hour trip for us. I'm sure I will probably be able to meet Kim and hopefully anyone else from the forum that happens to make it. I have 3 hot air fans (2 of them are large) and my work in progress Pacific; I think Max is taking his Pacific, the Merry, and his Denny hot air pumping engine.

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 01:00:24 AM »
I look forward to meeting you there Dave.  I will be there on Saturday.  I'll look for the large hot air fans!  (Did you have those at GEARS last year?  If so, I may have seen you and not know it!)

I won't be showing anything, but I hope to get greatly inspired!

Have a safe drive!
Kim

Offline Tinkerer58

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 01:07:29 AM »
Wish I could be there but it's too far to swim.
I just wanna be in me bloody shed.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 01:23:31 AM »
Do we have any members that actually live in Portland?

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 01:34:55 AM »
Hi Bill

We have Kim who lives in Portland.

Kim I did have my hot air fans there last year; I have been in the same spot all the years I displayed at the armory; in the back right corner near where the Little Machine Shop booth was.

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 01:40:37 AM »
I have only been to GEARS one year, and that was last year of course, so I'm sure I saw you then!

But I guess I'll have to find you in your new spot this year, eh? :)

While I don't officially live in Portland, I'm mighty close to it.  I grew up in the city proper and moved to the suburbs as I aged I guess.  But on the world wide scale of our forum, I'd say I'm in Portland for all intents and purposes.

Is there anyone else in this area? Or is Dave our closest member other than me?  And he's coming from Idaho.  There's got to be WA and CA people who are less that 7 hours away :)

Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 02:16:25 AM »
I will be there with some time on sunday oct 6, was hoping to maybe meet someone local to portland...have a drink or something.

Bill

Offline Dave Sohlstrom

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 02:34:09 AM »
I too grew up in and around Portland. Went to Sunset high school out in Beaverton. I now live 22 miles up river from Woodland Wa in the shadow of Mt St Helens.
I'll be there on Sat. wearing a red Burgerville hat.

Dave

Offline HobbyNut

• Surrey BC
    • What I do
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 03:23:51 AM »
This is first I have heard of this show. I would love to go, wife and I will talk about it. We used always go to the OLD CAR Swap early in the year. haven't been to Portland in a few.
PatO
I started out with nothing, I still have most of it left.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 03:47:28 AM »
Well, I got home from the GEARS show a while ago and thought I'd share a few pictures of the event with you all.

It was at a new venue this year, the Oregon Heritage Rail Museum.  Not quite as big as the location used in the past, but was well filled!

I picked up a few books and a couple of small tools.  There were a LOT of castings available and I was drawn to many of them.  But I couldn't justify buying a casting set that I couldn't fit into my machine!  They were all much bigger than would fit on my Taig!  :-\

But I couldn't walk away completely casting free!  I gave a nice home to a sweet casting of a little anvil.  Its about 4" long and was just TOO cute to pass up! (And only $5!)

Isn't that cute?   :D

I met Dave Otto as we'd planned.  His 3 hot air fans were a dead give away!  And this picture doesn't do them justice. Each one is a beautiful piece of artwork.

And here's Dave, talking with someone about his Pacific Vapor Engine:

It was great to talk with him and see his engine all together. Sometimes, when your reading along with someone's build, you see each piece, but its hard (at least for a newbie like me) to picture what it all looks like together.  So it was really nice to see it assembled into a single unit!

Dave's made more progress on his engine that he hasn't posted yet.  I got a few shots of some really cool CNC parts he's turned out.  But I won't steal his thunder and post any pictures of that.  I'll let him do it on his build thread (which you'll do soon, right Dave? :))

Here's a picture of Dave's buddy, Max, standing in front of his version of the Pacific Vapor Engine.  He also has a very beautiful build of a hot air pump engine that was just mesmerizing to watch.

I also ran into Gary Hart there.  He was showing his amazing Boiler Clock that he's posted here on MEM, and a beautiful hores-drawn steam fire engine.

Edit: Fixed a stupid grammar mistake.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 04:59:32 AM by Kim »

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 03:50:49 AM »
Here's some pictures of a few of the other engines that were being shown.  Of course, this is only a very small fraction of them...

A hit and miss engine, going strong:

A seven cylinder radial. I saw (and heard!) it run early on, but he was having ignition system problems later in the day...

A little compound steam engine:

A fascinating looking engine he called the "Hexi-Octal Rotary":

A V-8 and some inline 4 Cylinder engines. Heard these run... simply amazing!

This was an interesting little thing; a Robertson Semi-Rotary Engine.  Was new to me (Jo, would this be an interesting model for you to tackle?)

And a itty-bitty wobbler built into a tie-tack.  Pretty cool!   Guess you have to carry around compressed air with you?  Or blow into a tube all day? :)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 05:00:00 AM by Kim »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal