Author Topic: Arnold's shop - then, now and a revamp  (Read 21414 times)

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Re: Arnold's shop - then, now and a revamp
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2013, 10:16:07 PM »

There's actually some lasses around who express more interest in my engines than most males...

It's a trap. Be very careful.  :paranoia:

Truer words were never spoken.  Any woman who feigns interest in anything automotive, mechanical or mathematical is on the prowl and you're the prey.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2013, 11:47:09 PM »
It is a mistake to have too much (or worse, too little) in common with the significant other.
So you end up choosing.
I have to say...sharing my hobby with she whom I share the rest of my life with is way down on the list.
Please understand me...those things that are on the list are associated with survival. Machining is just fun.
 :naughty:

Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 01:51:25 AM »

There's actually some lasses around who express more interest in my engines than most males...

It's a trap. Be very careful.  :paranoia:

Truer words were never spoken.  Any woman who feigns interest in anything automotive, mechanical or mathematical is on the prowl and you're the prey.

That's too funny  :lolb:
but true  :o

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2013, 04:25:04 AM »
Funny how Marv tends to express here what most of us think and aren't game to say. :lolb: I guess age has a bit to do with that
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 04:11:49 PM »
Funny how Marv tends to express here what most of us think and aren't game to say. :lolb: I guess age has a bit to do with that
Pete

Yes, once one realizes he is going to die without ever achieving the slavering adulation of his peers frankness becomes very easy.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2013, 04:23:33 PM »
Is that frankness or is it cynicism?  :LittleDevil:
Kim

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2013, 04:34:48 PM »
Kim

You bet.

Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2013, 07:41:10 PM »
Kim

You bet.
Answered in true Monty Python style...  I'll forgo the smiley in deference to wisdom.

Progress has been slow...  At least the rack I showed last time had doors added:

The one on the right is slightly warped, but it will have to do.

A lot of wood-working - outside the shop - followed:

That resulted in a bunch of material resembling flat-pack furniture; just a bit more random in the wood it came from:

Liberal amounts of work, glue, screws and even a lot of brads with a nail gun resulted in this lot:

::) There was still a problem though... - so I took a couple of minutes to make some handles for the drawers:

It might look better painted all-white, but I don't like painting, so it can stay as is; it's a question of function over looks for me.

The rest of the shop is also coming along as well.  There's still stuff that needs stowage space.  At least all the power tools now have their own spots, and most of the grime is out of the shop:

The rack and corner where the drill press is still needs sorting out.  The heavier bar stock will go under the cabinet between the lathe and the mill, but I still need to make a plan to keep the thin bar stock organized. The 1:1 scale 3l V6 engine lying under the black cover will most likely get removed from the shop soon as well  :)

Machinery-wise, the small lathe must be mounted, but I've been thinking (unthinkable as that may seem...)  The couple of times I've used it it was difficult to clean, especially under the bed-ways.  The simple solution was just to pick it up, move it out of the way, and clean the stand it was sitting on.  Once properly mounted, that can not be done, so I'm going to make a sub-base with riser blocks for it to overcome that problem.
The tool & cutter grinder's phase converter must also be mounted.  I received a package from overseas last week with two single-point diamond dressers in it, and the compressor is close-by for the air spindle, so once the electrics are sorted, I can start using it.  I'm really looking forward to that!

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2013, 09:14:55 PM »
It's coming along really well Arnold!....Pay no never mind to the detractors....My Anna  is a keeper...and she knows she married my shop too.   She wouldn't have it any other way.

Ask her about lofting the boat on the kitchen/dining room/kitchenette floor with plywood, nails and battens and being requested to not step on it while it was there......for 3 weeks!

Like I said....she's a keeper!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2013, 09:29:56 PM »
Arnold, when you finish with your shop can you come and do mine?  Please  :naughty:

Vince

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2013, 10:43:06 PM »
It's coming along really well Arnold!....Pay no never mind to the detractors....My Anna  is a keeper...and she knows she married my shop too.   She wouldn't have it any other way.

Ask her about lofting the boat on the kitchen/dining room/kitchenette floor with plywood, nails and battens and being requested to not step on it while it was there......for 3 weeks!

Like I said....she's a keeper!

Dave

Dave I would say she's is differently a keeper. Mind would say put it in the shop and she doesn't mind anything I do there.
Arnold, pay no mind to us old timers, we all went through the trials and tribulations of courting a gal. Just remember they will do what it takes to set the hook, but it's all good in the end.
The shop is shaping up there bud.

Don

Offline rleete

• Rochester, NY USA
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2013, 01:08:00 AM »

Progress has been slow...  At least the rack I showed last time had doors added:

The one on the right is slightly warped, but it will have to do.

As is the owner, as well as the vast majority of the rest of us.  IOW, it fits right in.

Offline arnoldb

• Administrator
  • Windhoek, Namibia
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2013, 10:42:36 PM »
Thanks Dave  :)

LOL - Vince, I've just about finished now, and while I'm trying to be good at sharing, I'll sit that one out.  It's been a heck of a job...  Hopefully I can keep things clean for a while now.

Don, Thanks Bud !

Thanks rleete.  As long as the warp doesn't show up in any engines I build I'm happy  :) .  And eccentric...  That's quite acceptable in engines though.

Finally; the home stretch...  I've had just about as much as I can stand of cleaning, sweeping, packing, stacking and all the rest, but with a last push this weekend the cleaning got finished, and things tidied up pretty much as far as I can for now.  To get things beyond this level, I'd need more cabinets and racks, throw out even more rubbish treasures, and develop some kind of disorder.  I'm happy with the ones I already have, and a slight bit of disorder left in the shop is fine by me, so I called it a day with the organizing.  A couple of views:

As part of all the cleaning, all the machines also got a decent clean and service.  The milling machine received a gearbox oil change, and both compressors' tanks were drained and oil levels topped up.

On to mounting the small lathe.  A while ago I dug out it's manual and went over the mounting instructions.  Simple.  It mounts with two 8mm bolts.  I thought I had adequate material to make the riser blocks I want for it from.  Something was niggling at the back of my mind though.  I've learned the hard way to trust such niggles.  So I up-ended the lathe and had a look at it's bottom; not a view one often sees:

::) Things are NOT what I expected.  First off, the two "mounting holes" are visibly not 8.4mm like the manual states.  After checking them a bit, I found them to be 6.8mm - which is just about tapping size for M8...  And there's no casting scale or anything lodged in them; they're cleanly drilled.  The hole at the tailstock end is fine; there's quite a bit of surface area around it and cleaned up on the bottom of the bed ways to make it quite usable.
But I really don't understand the fiasco at the headstock end  :Mad: .  The four big holes in it seems completely and utterly useless - to the point where they actually weaken the mounting.  There's no way I can currently think of that those can be used to help mount the lathe, and with the actual mounting hole so close to the edge of the mounting surface, especially at the headstock end, I have serious concerns on how well it will stand up in use.
Introducing riser blocks to this lot may just make matters worse.  I can tap the two mounting holes out to M8 - or drill them out 8mm for mounting, but I'm scared that would weaken things even further.  If it were not for the four large holes already present in the headstock end, I'd have no hesitation about adding a new, more central hole to the mounting surface to mount things with.  As it is, it already looks like a bit of Swiss cheese, and while that's nice to eat, it's not renown for bolting down lathes.

I really want this lathe operational, so for now, I just mounted it through the worktop with 6mm cap screws onto the supplied oil pan - no modifications at all, no riser blocks, and I took care not to over-tighten the cap screws. 

Had a quick go at turning some chips with it; the shop's much too clean  :Lol: .  Some 5mm hex brass turned down to leave a 0.5mm "rod" in one fell swoop:

That went OK...

Some of my "horrible" mild steel - it was chucked up on the "clean" section on the left, and has a whopping big hole through it to boot.  That left a lot of chatter:

To be fair though, I even struggle to get a nice finish on that crud with the Myford, and the toolbit I used on the small lathe was a bit above center and not as sharp as it should be...

A quick test on some 10mm aluminium with the same poorly set-up tool from the steel test, and auto-feed:

For a first go on this lathe, that is surprisingly presentable.  I have a hunch I may just get the hang of this little machine, especially once I get her tooled up  :)

Shop time has been really scarce of late, but there just may be a bit of light at the end of the tunnel...  Hopefully I can pick up things a bit soon and get back to the MEM Corliss and some new engine builds.

Kind regards, Arnold
Building an engine takes Patience, Planning, Preparation and Machining.
Procrastination is nearly the same, but it precludes machining.
Thus, an engine will only be built once the procrastination stops and the machining begins!

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2013, 11:48:40 PM »
Damn, Arnold, I wish I had that much space.  [Garaj Mahal seems to shrink every day - an effect that correlates well with SWMBO's shopping trips.]

I don't see Shrek's supervisory perch in any of those pictures.  Or does he just perch pirate-like on your shoulder and take a piece out of your ear every time you make a mistake?
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2013, 03:54:32 AM »
Man, that looks great Arnold!   :ThumbsUp: Lots of clean space, cleared benches, freshly serviced machines...  You're all set to start turnin' out the projects!  ;D

Great work on the clean up.  It does take a while, but sure feels good when you get it done, doesn't it?  :cartwheel:

Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal