Author Topic: My Living Room Shop  (Read 11247 times)

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
Re: My Living Room Shop
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 02:17:07 AM »
It's a great motor for the Unimat. Those blue belts will squeal as the chuck stops turning, because the motor will keep going.
I used the very same container as well for my DB, Walmart? In the end though I used 3 pieces of plexiglass to contain the chips, each was removable as needed.

For the container that you have, consider an angled cut on both sides of the front, then a channel to slide the piece back in place. The angle will use gravity to keep the front in. Sort of like some sailboat companion ways.

I am taking a different approach with my new Taig, it is being used in the condo type setting. Will post some photos in a separate thread when I get the prototype done.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline Noitoen

• Setúbal - Portugal
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 12:14:38 PM »
You can make 2 holes and fit some gloves like the sand blasting cabinets  ;)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 04:16:02 PM »
You can make 2 holes and fit some gloves like the sand blasting cabinets  ;)
I don't think gloves would be to cool around a revolving chuck with metal in it.

Don

nevadablue

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 11:46:51 PM »
I thought about gloves too, but probably not a good idea.

Now I'm looking at using the box upside down. By mounting the box top on a sheet of plywood and doing some reinforcing in that 'not flat' section, I think I can make a much better enclosure. With the box on top, I can lift it off to get it out of the way for setups and machine changes. I'll be gone for a few days, and when I get back, I'll try this idea.

gerritv, I'll be watching for your thread.  :ThumbsUp: I like the idea of the slides for the doors. I may use a combination of hinged doors and separate deflector plates. Still thinking on this one.  :noidea:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 11:51:19 PM »
Blue, can I ask where you got the motor and controller from? It does look nice and hope it works out as well for you as it looks.

Bill

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 12:53:31 PM »
Bill, the seller is GuruAutomation_101 on eBay. Reputable seller. I bought a motor and the CNC motor mount brackets for my DB200 from him.

This is a photo of how I had my Unimat set up. Still had some chips fly out the top but it was manageable. Fly cutting is the worst for this.

Gerrit

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 06:29:22 PM »

nevadablue

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2013, 11:35:29 PM »
Blue, can I ask where you got the motor and controller from? It does look nice and hope it works out as well for you as it looks.

Bill

Yes, the ebay seller. He assembles the package and the variable speed unit is $138 I think. He also sells a fixed speed unit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIMAT-SL1000-DB200-LATHE-MOTOR-PERMANENT-MAGNET-AC-VARIABLE-SPEED-CONTROL-/190896463007?pt=BI_Books_Manuals&hash=item2c7250dc9f
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 11:44:43 PM by nevadablue »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 11:41:57 PM »
Thanks for the info Blue.

Bill

nevadablue

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2013, 11:45:16 PM »
Yep, link posted above.  :ThumbsUp:

nevadablue

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2013, 10:31:35 PM »
The speed control is from Harbor Freight, I saw them there today. I'm not home now, but I'll post the motor spec when I can.  :ThumbsUp:

nevadablue

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
I got the 'incubator' figured out. I turned over the plastic tub and used the lid as a base. Some 3/4" plywood forms the bottom, with a sheet of masonite on the inside. I cut out the humped lid and sandwiched what was left of the top between the plywood and masonite and screwed the thing together. Some of those felt 'feet' finished the under side so it won't scratch the table. Now I need to seal the wood and masonite with varnish and replace the screws with proper finish head screws, but this will work for sure. I also got rid of the wood 'feet' and installed some solid plastic ones.

The top can be 'hinged' back for access to the machine. I'll make a couple of little props for that. It can also be easily removed of course. The doors will be about where the black tape is. I'm waiting on cutting those, still haven't finalized the design. There is room for the extended bed too! Hooah!

nevadablue

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2013, 06:54:28 PM »
Ha! We have a working Taig-i-mat tailstock! ;D Some machining to the bottom side of the Taig tailstock base and some minor cleanup of the original Unimat clamping plate and it fits.  :P I had to drill and counterbore a hole in the Taig base for the Unimat clamping bolt and all is well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal