Author Topic: A portable steam engine  (Read 86034 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: A portable steam engine
« Reply #210 on: April 18, 2016, 01:46:30 AM »
Nicely done Rich!

Dave

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #211 on: May 15, 2016, 02:25:01 PM »
Hi

Thanks Carl, Don, Mal, Joe, and Dave

Its been a while since I posted anything cos it is the season of DIY :( So much to do leaves little shop time. For the odd half hour I can swing here and there I have started on something that I can leave and go back to when time permits. I fancy wood wheels on the engine so thats what I'm having a go at. Never done this before but I have watched a bit of you tube and looked at a few web sites. These wheels will not be fuctional more cosmetic so I can cut a few corners.

Starting with a sketch for the larger rear wheels

Followed by preparing some wood, mahogany, to 1/2" square

This is for the rim. I need to cut 10 pieces with their ends cut to 18°. You can see on the drawing at about the 2 o/c position where I have marked out the piece each side of one of the spokes. The mahogany is a nice wood, knot free and rairly straight grained but it does fluff a bit so might not be suitable for this type of work. It will do to practice with. I have some oak that might be better.

Cheers

Rich

Offline mal webber

• Wales UK
« Reply #212 on: May 17, 2016, 02:23:24 AM »
Hi Rich looking forward to see how your wheels turn out, as woodwork for me is a very weak point.

Mal

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #213 on: May 17, 2016, 07:57:32 AM »
Rich the plecking (fluff) is most likely due to the angle of the tool if you used that insert tool to prep the wood, think of the angle of a plane iron and its far flatter so cuts rather that tears the wood. Also these inserts are not as sharp as the carbide you find on a router bit so again will tear the wood.

When you come to turn the rim use a tool with high top rake, one of the CCGT type tips would be a good bet or grind up some HSS.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #214 on: May 18, 2016, 08:26:15 PM »
Hi

Thanks Mal and Jason

Whoooooooooa scrap that plan, that won't work  :facepalm:

What we have to do is cut out the curved bits of the rim  :thinking:

Mark out a bit of wood with a compass making sure the grain runs across

Cut out with a jigsaw

Chop out 10 bits

Thats the way I think. I know its a bit rough, this is just a practice piece. I need to figure out some kind of jig that will more accurately cut the pieces.

cheers

Rich

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #215 on: May 18, 2016, 08:36:13 PM »
Rich the straight method will work fine and is a lot easier to cut the mitres, maybe just use slightly wider strips to make it easier.

If you google "segmented turning" or "segmental turning" you will see they are almost all done with straight bits of wood
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 08:59:53 PM by Jasonb »

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #216 on: May 18, 2016, 08:53:00 PM »
Have you checked out the Horse Drawn Vehicle forum? lots of good info there on wheels, I got some good tips when I made my chariot model a couple years ago.

http://forum.scalemodelhorsedrawnvehicle.co.uk

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #217 on: May 19, 2016, 12:56:51 AM »
Catching back up with the build Rich. Very much looking forward to seeing how these wheels go together...the brown stuff is fun to play around with at times :)

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #218 on: May 19, 2016, 12:58:20 AM »
I never would have guess there's a forum devoted to horse drawn vehicles. Neat!

Rich...you've started something that a lot of us will learn from!

I think wood and metal go well together. I know that's blasphemy to some. Too bad.
I consider wood and metal to be natural materials. Glass and ceramics too. My problem is with plastics. Not that I don't like it either.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #219 on: May 19, 2016, 01:30:40 AM »
Rich glue the pieces to cardboard then cardboard to plywood and turn on lathe. Then just simply remove the pieces from cardboard after marking the pieces.

Don

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #220 on: May 19, 2016, 01:54:36 AM »
I never would have guess there's a forum devoted to horse drawn vehicles. Neat!

Rich...you've started something that a lot of us will learn from!

I think wood and metal go well together. I know that's blasphemy to some. Too bad.
I consider wood and metal to be natural materials. Glass and ceramics too. My problem is with plastics. Not that I don't like it either.
Don't forget stone and bone. All materials are fun to carve, not just metal. Machining is just carving with fancier chisels.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #221 on: May 19, 2016, 07:41:05 PM »
Hi

Thanks guys, some very useful info coming in  :ThumbsUp:

I do like messing about with wood, my recent box project http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,5260.0.html I really enjoyed.

It might be a few days now before anything else gets done. I'm at work until Saturday then Sunday we are off the model engineering exhibition at Doncaster race course  :whoohoo:

Cheers

Rich

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal