Author Topic: A portable steam engine  (Read 87363 times)

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
Re: A portable steam engine
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2013, 10:12:07 PM »
Hi

To hold the cylinder cover I had to turn a a holder from a bit of ally.

Make up a couple of clamps, drill and tap the holder 4mm.

Machine the face flat.

Drill and ream for the piston rod and bore for the gland.

This is my set up for drilling to depth, a digital calipre mounted on the tail stock.

The gland starts off as a simple turning job then drilled and reamed.

Transferred to the mill and machined to shape.

Drill a couple of holes.

Back in the lathe to part off.

Fitted into the cylinder cover and along side the previous attempt. It looks much better.

Cheers

Rich

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2013, 11:43:16 PM »
That does look good Rich.
I'm betting you feel pretty good about now.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2013, 11:44:35 PM »
N I C E !! Looks good,  Rich. You certainly have been busy, making (remaking?) your piece, but the final product sure pays off in spades.  :ThumbsUp:

BC1
Jim

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2013, 05:55:12 PM »
Thoughly enjoying following this build. The thought and skill in producing the crosshead and not compromising by being satisfied with your first effort (I know I would have been)....well I'm definately looking forward to the next instalment!

peter

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2013, 06:33:05 PM »
I'm also following with interest! I like to see how building up parts often gives more satisfactory results than machining them from solid.

Simon

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2013, 09:22:57 PM »
Hi

Thankyou gentlemen. :cheers:

Yes I'm much happier with the latest effort.  ;D

Finding time to get on with it is the problem. I'm currently faced with a kitchen and 2 bedroom rebuild so very little shop time for a while  :(

cheers

Rich

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2013, 10:08:43 AM »
Comiserations on the D.I.Y. projects Rich. Having just worked through a large list of the stuff myself when I would rather be in the shed,I know how you feel. Fortunately for me I think the warden is going to grant me some parole time, so hopefuly it's back to the projects for me!

peter

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2013, 07:56:38 PM »
Hi

I had a few hours today while the wife and youngest daughter went to Ikea, not my favourite place and they know it so they left me at home.

A couple of studs for the gland was the first job. I use 3/32 stainless steel for the studs. A 7BA thread goe's nicely on 3/32 and 7BA nuts are a nice size. Where some of the stud shows I like to leave the shank plain, looks better than threaded all the way down. Its a bit fiddly threading each end of a short piece but its worth the effort I think.

Now I needed to drill and tap 6 holes, 7BA again, into the cylinder. The mandrel I made when i first machined the ends of the cylinder came in useful again. Here I am centreing it in the 4 jaw.

The cylinder is dropped onto the mandrel and squared up using this set up. Once square the caphead bolt is tightened to hold the cylinder securely.

The 6 holes can now be drilled and tapped. I use a spring loaded pointer to hold the tap square.

6 Studs fitted. This time because there is no part of the stud showing I can cut lengths of threaded 3/32 stainless steel.

Assembled, not a very good photo I'm afraid.

Cheers

Rich

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:00:17 PM by Firebird »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2013, 08:05:38 PM »
Rich,

When you make your studs, start off by giving the end a slight rounding with a needle file, cut the thread and if necessary give the end another quick lick with the needle file. By doing that you will have a nice smooth finish and not sharp and likely to cut your fingers  :ThumbsUp:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2013, 08:51:54 PM »
Hi Jo

I should have mentioned that the studs need finishing. On final assembly they will be trimmed to equal length and smoothed over. The 2 gland studs look over long at the moment but when the gland has some packing in it will sit a little higher and each stud will have a locking half nut as well as a full nut.

Cheers

Rich

Offline SandCam

• West Coast of Scotland UK
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2013, 02:41:40 PM »
 :D Hi Rich,

You certainly are making some great progress with the new engine... GREAT STUFF :praise2: :ThumbsUp:

Not to sure I like all the enforced D.I.Y though...  :headscratch: :thinking:Have you thought about teaching  :Director:your better half and daughters to do it themselves? :hammerbash: :zap:....

on second thoughts!!! :Lol: :naughty: :Jester:

I Know, and feel your pain, having recently had to do much the same items... such is life.

I am sure you will get through it and get back to the workshop ASAP.

Keep happy.

Best Regards.

Sandy. :cheers:

PS... I would be carefull about drilling too many holes in your boiler before it is soldered up... you will let all the heat out!!! :LittleDevil: :ROFL: :lolb: :lolb:

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2013, 09:36:36 PM »
Hi Sandy

Nice to hear from you, thanks for the ongoing support  :ThumbsUp:

I don't want to drift off topic too far here but when one is dealing with the fairer sex, in my experience at least, thats when the problems arise.

For example when I get in from a long day at work I often get  "we have been thinking it would be nice if"  :facepalm: the we in question being my wife and youngest daughter.

An example     we think it would be nice if we get rid of the built in bed in the small room and put the bed out of the middle room in there. My reply was   it won't fit.  How do you know that.   I can tell its too big just by looking at it.   Well lets try it anyway.  Out comes the tape measure.  The gap is 6 foot, the bed is 6 foot 4,  it won't fit.  With all those tools you have surely you can make it fit  :Mad:  :wallbang:

Do I need to go on, I could write volumes  :atcomputer: on their capacity for not understanding things.

Ah well one day it will all be done but then I might be too  :old:

Cheers

Rich

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2013, 01:36:52 AM »
Rich,
My Dad told me there are two words to a long and Happy Marriage  "Yes Dear".
As for renovating It is well that they ask you, and don't try to do it themselves and then expect you to wave a magic hammer and make it all right in an afternoon.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2013, 02:16:04 AM »
"Do I need to go on, I could write volumes   on their capacity for not understanding things."

Nope. It is in the female genes to question or take the long way around a logical problem. My wife and I returned not 48hrs ago from the dr's office. She had pains in her shoulder, and the doc clearly explained the cause was due to the joint being hyperextended. (when she falls asleep watching TV her head falls way over and she slumps) So, when I suggest she get a pillow and try to straighten herself up a bit (nothing about sleeping, just to relieve the strain on her shoulder) You guessed it, "oh no, I'll be OK when I go to bed" .... YEAH, after you have slept here for about four hours and done nothing to alleviate what the dr stated was the probable cause.  :slap:  *yes dear*

Anyway, your progress with the portable is looking quite good Rich. So. What color are you going to be painting the rooms?  :ROFL:

BC1
Jim

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2013, 05:58:13 AM »
A pictures worth 1000 words

Not to put too fine a point on it, it's twice the size of our old house!!!

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal