Author Topic: Hello from Brian Rupnow  (Read 13412 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Hello from Brian Rupnow
« on: September 04, 2013, 01:50:34 PM »
Hello Gentlemen---I am a model engineer with about 6 years of experience building steam and i.c. engines, and mechanisms to operate with them. I am semi retired, with 48 years as a mechanical design engineer for industry, designing prototype machinery and automation. I have been an active member on other small engine forums, and many of you will remember me from acquaintance there. I hope I am able to contribute and be a worthy member of this forum, and hope to learn from others with more experience than myself.---Brian Rupnow

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Hello from Brian Rupnow
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 01:53:36 PM »
Welcome Brian...its great to see you here, and I am sure many of your designs and projects will be well received here. Having not visited the other forum in a good while, I suspect you have a few more projects under your belt in the meantime and I look forward to your sharing them with us here.

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 01:53:55 PM »
 :hi: Brian,

Where are you from? What models have you made? Any chance of some photos?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 01:56:24 PM »
Brian, welcome aboard. I think you'll find a lot of old familiar and friendly faces here. I have followed several of your builds from a lurkers view and your work is superb. I really enjoyed the sawmill build. Make yourself at home.

Whiskey

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 02:01:59 PM »
I think you will find that Brian is a heavy  hitter, with a great deal to contribute. A welcome presence here.
Mosey :praise2:

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 02:07:14 PM »
Welcome Brian!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 02:28:54 PM »
Welcome aboard Brian!

Dave

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 02:34:53 PM »
I am located in Barrie, Ontario, Canada.--What have I built?--Good Lord, where do I start? My very first engine was, as many of you, a single cylinder, single acting wobbler, designed by Elmer Verbourg. Amazed by the fact that I could actually build something that could operate by itself, I moved on to a single cylinder double acting wobbler by someone in Holland. (Can't remember who.) Now I was completely taken by the entire concept of building small engines, totally from bar stock, but found Elmers plans a bit too small to build with 63 year old eyes, so I took Elmer's beam engine, modelled it at double or 1.5 (can't remember which) scale, created detail drawings from my models, and built it. This created a rush of requests form people worldwide on the internet for the larger scale drawings, so giving full credit to Elmer, these designs were posted, and many hundred of them have been built around the world. I then moved on to a twin cylinder horizontal, double acting factory style engine of my own design, and again built it and posted the drawings on the internet. Now I am losing track of the chronology, but my other steam/air engines include a 5 cylinder radial of my own design, a 1/3 scale model of a Cretors popcorn engine, originally designed by Stu, a gentleman in the U.K. in metric and changed over to imperial by myself, a "hit and miss" air engine originally designed by Chuck Fellows, A single cylinder overcrank engine originally designed as a double cylinder overcrank engine by Stu from the U.K. and modified to a single cylinder by myself, a double cylinder steam winch designed by myself, and an Elmer,s small scale double acting single cylinder mill type engine, and two different types of flyball governor designed by myself, based on early patent drawings. Things to be ran by these engines include a "slinky machine", a moving staircase elevator, a pile driver, a pump, a "nodding donkey" oil field pump, a vertical acting "Muley" sawmill, and a bubble blowing machine to amuse my grand children. I morped over to i.c. world and first built a Webster i.c. engine, then  Kerzel hit and miss engine, then an Atkinson engine based on plans by Jan ridder, then the "Odds and Ends" hit and miss engine by Philip Duclos, and most recently the "Rupnow Engine", a hit and miss horizontal i.c. engine with a set of 45 degree bevel gears running a flyball governor on a vertical stempost. I have posted a free download link to the 55 drawings of the "Rupnow Engine" and currently there are 7 other ones being built around the world, 2 in Australia, one in Tasmania, one in Singapore, one in Quebec, Canada, and two or three in the United Kingdom. The engine is a modular concept, from barstock, which can be built with either a water cooling reservoir or an air cooled cylinder, and as a hit and miss engine or as a conventional 4 cycle engine.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 03:54:27 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 02:36:38 PM »
Glad you made it. Good guys and lady here.

Stan
Best,
Stan

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 02:42:31 PM »
Hi Stan, and thank you for the welcome. How do I enable email notification of new posts in any thread I am subscribed to, please?

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 02:48:13 PM »
Welcome Brian looking forward to your interesting projects
Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 02:54:57 PM »
Jo--I have literally thousands of pictures, far to many to put into an introductory post. I have however, included a link to a video of my most recent creation, the "Rupnow Engine", totally designed and built by myself.---Brian
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 04:42:37 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 02:56:35 PM »
Hi Stew Hart. My God, its so great to hear from all my old friends. You fellows have no idea of how much I have missed you all.---Brian

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 03:05:30 PM »
How do I enable email notification of new posts in any thread I am subscribed to, please?

Hi Brian,
Nice to see you posting here.

When you reply to a thread click the "Attachments and other options" line to find the notify me of replies option.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 03:41:46 PM »
Hi Brian
welcome to MEM :cheers:
Pete
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal