Author Topic: Gail In New Mexico, USA  (Read 12011 times)

Offline gbritnell

Re: Gail In New Mexico, USA
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 12:09:51 PM »
Welcome Gail,
I have enjoyed your work and our conversations over the years. I started on another 'Tiny' using the governor parts you sent me but I like many others have too many projects going at the same time and I got into them first. I do promise to finish it though.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 12:17:29 PM »
Hi Gail, and welcome. Love your track, and I'd like to see more of those engines. Glad it was the computer, and not you, that copped it.

Cheers, Hugh.

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 12:38:56 PM »
Welcome Gail. 

I'm glad you're here.  I have 90% of a Lobo Pup of your design completed.  I always found your posts and projects very informative and have learned alot from you.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 02:31:15 PM »
Hi Gail

Good to see you back!

Dave

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 04:58:35 PM »
I'm glad to se you here, Gail.
Alan

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 06:12:05 PM »
Thanks for all the warm welcomes.  Good to make contact with many old friends and some new friends.

George (gbritnell): It is always a pleasure to have an exchange with you.  I just looked it up and I first met you in 1992 when you completely shot me down at the first Sherline Machinist Challenge.  A very well deserved win for you then and you have shared a lot of fine craftsman ship since then.

Hugh:  I love the tracks in the videos too.  LUnfortunately none of them are mine.  I am more of a builder of things and for the most part operation of them only is for validation of design and workman ship. 

The 6 Woolwich video was taken on a track in Utah where a group of us get together every year and play trains and swap stories for a few days.  The once around the track video was taken by DanP at his track at his home in British Columbia.  He has a camera car that he built and pushes along on a parallel track. 

Bob (90LX_Notch):   The Lobo Pup Twin was a fun project.  It took me two tries to get it to run properly.  Actually, the first version would have run OK if I didn't misdiagnose the problem before starting the Mk2 version which were the published drawings.  Biggest problem people have are the fits between the cylindler and piston and contra-piston. But anyone who can make a Poppin run as well as you do should have no problems. And lots of ether in the fuel helps!!

Now it's time to get on with my current new project.  I have not posted anything on it yet.  I wanted to see if it looked like I would be able to build it before publishing anything.  Looks like I can and I am coming along with design complete and many parts built.  It is an opposed piston (1 cylinder - 2 pistons) engine inspired by some of Hugo Junkers drawings in the latel 1880's. Not at all a scale engine, but should be fun. 

Thanks again everyone.

Gail in NM

I would like to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 07:41:28 PM »
It's good to see you active here Gail.  I've always enjoyed following along with your work, and look forward to following along with your next.

Regards,
Rudy

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 09:45:35 PM »
Wow another of the Great builders from HMEM has arrived here  :praise2:  Welcome Gail.

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 11:22:36 PM »
Greetings Gail, I too wish to extend a hearty hello and welcome. I purchased what I believe at that time was one of GAGE's first offerings, the HOSC.(mid 80's?)  i bought the 'two-for' set of pieces and made one for my boss at the time and one for my sister. They were fun to build and the quality of pieces as supplied were very good, as were the build instructions. Anyway, your videos are super and I'm looking forward to seeing more as your health and time allows.  :ThumbsUp:

BC1
Jim

Offline AussieJimG

• Rest In Peace
  • Bywong, NSW, Australia
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2013, 01:27:50 AM »
Welcome Gail, I have greatly enjoyed your postings which have taught me a lot.

Your Tiny Four Strokes were an inspiration - I am still struggling (periodically) to complete one.

Jim

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 02:41:56 AM »

Quick story!!

I had a friend and fellow club member who built a specific little wobbler engine from some old drawings that he found somewhere. He built at least a dozen of them and had another dozen half done. The drawings read as if they were a kit so i posted on the web somewhere for more information about the engine. Turns out that they were built from a kit that Mr. Graham had produced. The kits were long off the market and unavailable. He took my address and offered to root around in the basement and send me some parts if he could find any. About a week later a big old bag of parts showed up. I took 2 sets for my self, gave 2 sets to Jimmy my pal, and passed what was left over to the metal club. Of that big bag I think at least a dozen were built. I built both of mine and 2 more from bar stock. They run all day at shows and have hundreds of hours on them.

Well that exchange turned into an invite to HMEM (yes i said it) which also lead me to here so I guess if not for Mr. Graham I wouldn't be here.

Thank you again and great to see your here!!

Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline lakc

• Detroit, MI
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 03:06:17 AM »
Good to see you again {virtually} :cheers:
Jeff

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2013, 04:05:08 AM »
Thank you everyone.  It's nice to know that I have been able to help some one or make thier easier or more fun.

AussieJim: just keep at it with the Tiny.  They make a great demo engine to haul around to show.  Amazing what stock deals you can get at a metal merchant.

Steve:  You have too good a memory.  A lot of chips have been made since the era of your story.  Thanks for remembering.  I have followed your work ever since then.

I spent much of today learning how to work the new (to me) Photobucket interface and getting comfortable with the new operating system on my computer.  Getting the photos and drawings of the new project sorted so I can start a new thread soon.

And a photo of my transportation since they won't let me drive a car anymore. It at least lets me have some independence and that means a lot.
Gail in NM
I would like to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2013, 10:16:04 AM »
I bet that won't leave any rubber at all Gail... ::) 8)

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 02:39:44 PM »
Gail--You are one of my model engineering heros. When I first started in model engineering 6 years ago you were a great help to me. You explained things patiently, and helped set me straight on many questions I had. It is very nice to be on the same forum once again.--Brian Rupnow

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal