Author Topic: Gail In New Mexico, USA  (Read 12008 times)

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
Gail In New Mexico, USA
« on: September 04, 2013, 02:50:22 AM »
A few weeks ago I made a couple of postings to a topic and promised Dave (Steamer), who I know from a not too distant past, that I would post an introduction.  A few days later as I got ready to do so I was sitting at this computer getting ready to do so. In an instant the room got very bright, very loud, very dark and very quiet. It all seemed to happen at the same time,  but even I know that cause and effect do have a time sequence.A  lightning strike was very nearby.  A few hours later power was restored and computer was dead.  dNow a few weeks later it likes again, but with a new mother board, power supply and a few upgrades.

So now on to a real introduction.  Some of you will remember me from other forums and groups.  I Have been building model engines for over half a century.  All kinds. Steam, hot air, model aircraft, and stationary IC engines including hit-n-miss.  I have slowed down over the last few years and macular degeneration is slowly taking my vision and a stroke took a lot of the feeling and fine motor skills from my hands and walking.  Still I am able to build toys and am learning how to type all over again so I can write about it. It takes a lot of time, but beats not doing it at all. 

Here are photos and videos of a few of my more recent projects.

First, just for Dave, is a Gauge 1  live steam ditcher.  Every thing runs from one two cylinder double acting engine with 0.344 inch bore. Lots of gears and clutches operate the boom, slewing and power the trucks for movement  on the track.  Took a  few years, but several were built.

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n404/NMSteam/Ditcher2-0001.jpg

The last project was the Woolwich locomotive. Not a scale model, but inspired by the first internal combustion powered locomotive at at the Woolwich Arsenal in England.  The engine is a gasoline fueled hit-n-miss engine with spark ignition.  3/8 inch bore by 1/2 inch stroke.  Two prototypes were built and then 6 were built, 1 for me and 5 for friends.
 A photo is attached of mine and here are a couple of videos.
An early version: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k12qPcOxk1w" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k12qPcOxk1w</a>
The six of them: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIIChsA2Pg0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIIChsA2Pg0</a>
And a ride around the track:  <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWcFE3U6jV4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWcFE3U6jV4</a>

Everyone is invited to look around the  NMSteam channel on youtube.  There are 20 something videos, mostly model engine related.

Gail in NM

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 03:09:45 AM by GailinNM »
I would like to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Gail In New Mexico, USA
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 03:05:55 AM »
On behalf of all of us here at MEM, Welcome Gail!

It's great to see your post again....I've dearly missed it.

Keep it coming, and please make yourself at home Gail :praise2: :praise2:

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 03:11:33 AM »
Gail that is some beautiful work and awesome video's. I do remember you from the old forum after seeing these videos. Welcome to the forum. I like to see experience model makers that's more teachers.

Don

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 03:43:24 AM »
Hi Gail! Good to see you here!

For some reason I always assume you're associated with Graham Industries in Rio Rancho (http://www.grahamind.com) - name begins with G, in NM, but I guess you're not!

Simon

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 03:58:10 AM »
Hi Gail and welcome
The digger is a beauty. Learning to cut gears is on this year's "useful stuff to learn" list. I'm sure I'll need some advice when I get that started.

Stan
Best,
Stan

Offline Jim K 324

• Morgan Ciy, La. ( On the Atchafalaya River)
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 03:59:44 AM »

:hi: Gail great videos and a interesting ride around the track , i am also losing my
                    sight to macular degeneration in the shop I use my opti-visor to see  and sometimes
                    that dosen't help much. But I am thankful that I can still do the things I do ,I am
                    finishing a vertical reversing wobbler, So hang in with us ,and wishing you good
                    health!!!!

Jim
It's not what you make,It's how you make it that
matters !!

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 04:07:00 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Dave, Don and Simon.

Simon:  I founded GAGE which designed and produced a line of steam engines. About 25 years ago my son set Graham Industries as a sales organization and took care of the sales and distribution of the GAGE engines.  13 years ago he took over the manufacturing also and I retired.  Now my only connection is small talk at family BBQ's.
Gail

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 04:20:06 AM »
Stan,
Judging from the work of yours that I have seen, gears will give you no trouble. Just have to work carefully.  Of course an accurate means of dividing is required, but even a Spindex is adequate for some gears. Be glad to help any way I can.

Jim: Thanks for the the comments on the videos.  Macular degeneration makes things difficult, but many things can be done to help.  I too have a whole flock of Magna Visors in different powers. I buy good quality magnifying lens in sets of 3 and scatter them around the shop and the kitchen table so I can read the news paper.   Have a small video camera on my baby mill.   And think safety ALL the time.  Cutting tools have a way of becoming unseen.

Gail in NM

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 05:31:45 AM »
Hi Gail and welcome.  Nice to see you here.

Vince

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 06:02:18 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Dave, Don and Simon.

Simon:  I founded GAGE which designed and produced a line of steam engines. About 25 years ago my son set Graham Industries as a sales organization and took care of the sales and distribution of the GAGE engines.  13 years ago he took over the manufacturing also and I retired.  Now my only connection is small talk at family BBQ's.
Gail

Ah, good to know. I'm happy owner of a TVR1A built from the kit!

Simon

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 06:29:01 AM »
Good to see you posting Gail - welcome to the fold!  :ThumbsUp:
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 07:11:13 AM »
 :hi: Gail,

I am sure we can all benefit from your experience of making models.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 08:38:51 AM »
Glad you back with us Gail, sorry about your problems but at least lightning never? strikes the same place twice?

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 10:02:16 AM »
Hi Gail
Nice to see you here  :cheers:
Pete
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 11:30:57 AM »
Welcome Gail. I too remember you from the other site and am happy that you are once again able to share your experiences with us here. Will look forward to your participation here on MEM and seeing even more of your wonderful work.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal