Author Topic: Milestone!  (Read 16805 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Milestone!
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2013, 03:37:46 PM »
Hey Brian,

I think a lot of it will be the same....but not all.   It is the members that make a forum...and to some extent, this one is a bit different...not worse or better than the "other"
place back before....just different.

That said...I'm very glad to be here...it certainly suites me better than the other place......and I'm glad to have all my old friends here too...but I am glad to have met a bunch of new friends.

So.....Life goes on in it's ever changing way..   Glad you're here!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 03:57:47 PM »
I think what is really nice about this forum is that everyone is out to help each other and we don't suffer (unlike other places I could mention) with people trying to make out that for some reason they are better than the next person  :disappointed: or trying to belittle another's work/designs :hellno:.

We all started somewhere and even the most experienced amongst us can learn from the simple observations of beginners  ;).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 04:07:59 PM »
I think what is really nice about this forum is that everyone is out to help each other and we don't suffer (unlike other places I could mention) with people trying to make out that for some reason they are better than the next person  :disappointed: or trying to belittle another's work/designs :hellno:.

We all started somewhere and even the most experienced amongst us can learn from the simple observations of beginners  ;).

Jo

YUP!
Damned ijjit!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 06:16:45 PM »
Just a couple of my own thoughts...
And you all know what that's worth.

Lurkers 'are' participants.
Lurkers are interested in this hobby (most by far anyway), otherwise they wouldn't spend time here.
Wanting more (or better) contributors is not the lurkers' fault.

Really not much different than an art gallery is it? Full of lurkers. Fewer artists. Fewer still contributors.
Would you close the gallery because there's too few masters or only people who want to view?

Views do matter. It's a measure of interest.

It's hard to contribute. It takes a lot to prepare and to overcome the feelings of 'is this worth it?', 'will people be interested?', 'is this helpful'.
It's hard to comment on others and to overcome the feelings of 'is this helpful' or 'is this going to be taken wrong?'
I am so often amazed and interested in the work. But I can't really contribute much in the way of experience and oft times feel inadequate just saying 'wow!' or 'that is so cool'. (Not that there aren't other ways to contribute...I most enjoy helping absolute newbies by sharing my own experiences of trepidation, lack of knowledge, mistakes, and what I've learned from the people here.)

There was an earlier question about whether to save up and make a big post or do it as one goes.
I myself prefer the latter. From a contributor's point of view it's more satisfying getting constant feedback and to interact more frequently.
From a viewer's point of view, to be honest, large posts (like this one?) don't get the attention they deserve. I, for one, like to have the time to read other posts.

One last note of a personal nature...there were comments about being involved, not being involved enough, getting distracted, and so on.
I've been distracted for a few months now and expect I will be for a few more yet.
But what I've found is that while the hobby itself has a huge (temporarily unfulfilled) draw...it's this forum that really draws me in.

So I've been quiet for a while...but I think of this place a lot.

P.S. I just bought a blasting cabinet that I'd been waiting to see on sale for some time. Another newbie adventure coming up!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 06:45:49 PM »
Zee,
I had been wanting to speak up here, but you said everything I had been thinking. I have never understood the derogatory use of the term "lurker".

I have plenty of experience with being the shy guy who watched, hoping to learn something, feeling he had nothing to contribute. Being called a name for being shy or lacking confidence will only drive me away when I might have eventually gained the confidence to join in.

--Tim

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 07:28:03 PM »
Zee, damn boy, you ain't said much lately, but what you just said made up for it. A standing ovation is in order. Tim, I don't think anyone here is using the term "lurker" in a derogatory manner. Kind of like newbie, master, or redneck. I think it is just aword for. Did that make sense?

Whiskey

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 08:15:38 PM »
I am so often amazed and interested in the work. But I can't really contribute much in the way of experience and oft times feel inadequate just saying 'wow!' or 'that is so cool'. (Not that there aren't other ways to contribute...I most enjoy helping absolute newbies by sharing my own experiences of trepidation, lack of knowledge, mistakes, and what I've learned from the people here.)

What you say is true, Zee.  However, I find it difficult to understand how one could lurk here for years and never have a question about what you're seeing/reading.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2013, 08:46:19 PM »
I for one have learned so much from people here and without them I would not have the confidents I have to post my builds.
This forum is a class room for me and where else can you get answers to your questions for FREE. I started model engine building three years ago and knew nothing about machining. It's still a long was to be more proficient at it, but this is why I love it here, you have all this knowledge in one spot. All you have to do is ask and someone will answer you. The way I grew up, I had no way to go to college like so many of people I knew, hell we were poor. Like many others I joined the military and give six years of my life for more education. The point here is all this information is FREE. Where else can you get free education in model engineering.
Lurkers are learning from us and our mistakes as do we. Until some gain the confidence to post I quess they will just lurk. But I for one think they should just do as we do. We are all adults here and what better way to get acquainted with every one. Also a lot of us work for a living but give time when it is available and like I have said before, "it gets done when it gets done". There is no race,there is no hurry this is a hobby and an enjoyment, just like fishing or hunting.

Regards Don

Offline IanR

• Derby, UK
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2013, 09:10:19 PM »
Speaking as one who reads more often than I post, I can see that it's encouraging for the engine builder to be told that people are interested in the thread, but it can get me down scrolling through 2 pages of 'Wow' to get to the next bit of actual building. (slight exaggeration with humourous intent)
When / if I get the lathe rebuild done, I hope to get back to engine building myself, and may put it up as an example of how to bodge.
Ian

PS How can bodge not be in the spellchecker dictionary?

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2013, 09:26:37 PM »
".....PS How can bodge not be in the spellchecker dictionary?...."

And pointing to another thread....what's the Plural of bodge?..... 8)

Feel free to show some pictures of the lathe rebuild.....I might know something about that kinda saga.... :ROFL:

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2013, 09:30:14 PM »
Ian, don't give Dave no fuel for his fire on that lathe rebuild. You'll be umpteen years getting it done :lolb:
Just kidding guys, just kidding :ROFL:

Whiskey

Spellchecker didn't jump on umpteen.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2013, 09:31:28 PM »

8)
Damned ijjit!

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2013, 09:33:45 PM »
And pointing to another thread....what's the Plural of bodge?.

BODGES  :facepalm:
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2013, 09:39:25 PM »
Oh I want independant verification here.......

It's not Bogi?

or Bogessess?

:lolb:

Considering the only thing seperating us is a common langauge......we should be able to figure that one out....Oh Hell.....Where's Eric?!

Damned ijjit!

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2013, 09:41:33 PM »
....what's the Plural of bodge?

Yugo.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz