Author Topic: Milestone!  (Read 16808 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Milestone!
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 04:36:47 PM »
Same here Jo, though I admit with multiple builds it does get a bit tricky to keep them straight :)

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 05:05:18 PM »
Thanks Guys  :ThumbsUp:

I do sometimes wonder if, rather than posting every day when I do a little bit, I should not save it all up and do a much longer posting that shows a part from start to end but then  :shrug: many of the techniques would not get a mention, techniques that I hope they are of some use to a beginner.

Bill: I manage the threads by keeping I have seperate word documents for each build  ;) But it still can get a bit tricky remembering which thread people are being rude about my cooking or I am being naughty about my other hobbies on, I suspect that other forums might be relieved that they do not have to put up with my version of English humour  :LittleDevil:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 05:13:50 PM »
Jo,
I think I must be close to your target audience...beginner that likes to see what you are doing step by step. I read them all, and learn a great deal. Proof is, I'm beginning to get your humor???!!!
Of course, more pictures would be better, you know which ones we want! (not the ones where you bake a fruitcake or shepherds pie)
In all seriousness, keep it coming, we love it.
Mosey :happyreader: :Love:

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 05:30:20 PM »
Jo,

Don't change a damn thing girl!....You Rock!

8)

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 05:50:45 PM »
I agree with Dave Jo, it wasn't a criticism at all...more a lack of concentration on my part...and by all means, don't stop the humor...English or otherwise :)

Bill

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 08:33:42 PM »
I do sometimes wonder if, rather than posting every day when I do a little bit, I should not save it all up and do a much longer posting that shows a part from start to end but then  :shrug: many of the techniques would not get a mention, techniques that I hope they are of some use to a beginner.
Jo
Jo,
I try to learn from all of the posts. Some show clever wise ways of setup, markup, and making pieces. Others show things not to do, often with helpful posts following about how to get out of a jam.
On the other hand, although I know that posters appreciate feedback, even when it is just an encouraging word, I feel uncomfortable doing that kind of post - I'd rather leave that to others who are real machinists. I do ask questions to either help me understand a machining sequence or when I wonder if some alternative would also work.
With my limited tooling (and funds) there are many threads where I can only appreciate the thought and skill involved. Still, I have never read a thread here where I haven't learned something.
Perhaps some of out read-only members are in similar circumstance.
Alan

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 08:44:38 PM »
Jo, don't look at the replies, look at the views. I think most are in such awe of work like yours and a few others here that they don't know what to say except "Wow" and that alone would kinda sound hollow. Kinda like going up to a master guitarist and saying; "Great stuff, can you show me a few chords? ". I don't mind sounding like I'm a mutt amongst pure breeds , but, there may be those that do.

Whiskey

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 11:10:41 PM »
If there were no constructive comments, (or a PM from Jo) there's no telling how long I would have continued on the upside down boiler. An attaboy is good too.
I sometimes look at Jo's builds or Arnold's or George Brittnal's and think "No way. Not ever could I get there." The reason that my work has gotten better is from tips, hints, and even "No! Don't do that. You'll kill yourself"
I plead guilty to not commenting enough. New policy. More comments, even if they are just in the "Nice" or "Wow" category.

Stan
Best,
Stan

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 11:49:20 PM »
In my daily grind, I look forward to reading the build logs and have gone back on many of them and re-read the whole thing because I feared that I missed something or did not understand something correctly  the first time around. On numerous occasions I've found that the light bulb will finally go in my brain and I understand a procedure with clarity. The excellent pictures also are a huge benefit as well. And yes, there are also times that all I can think of to say is "WOW" before muddling off to my corner in amazement. It has been a while since I last did a build thread but 'things' have gotten in the way. To all that currently have builds going, please, keep it up, it is the one thing I look forward to each day. And to anyone that has it in their mind that their work is "not up to par" or "isn't good enough". I say boloney. I would love to see any and all endeavors and would not for a moment, put down anyone else's work as being too simple or uninteresting. Everyone had to start off at some level in the course of things. :cheers:

BC1
Jim

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 11:50:20 PM »
Stan: noted. I think we all felt for you when you shared the mistake with the boiler. In most cases a problem shared is a problem halved, and hopefully leads to a better result in the end!

Simon

Offline TerryWerm

• Jordan, MN - 6147 nice folks and one grouch!
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 03:43:56 AM »
I try to add to a thread when I am able, but I must admit that I have been more active on a different forum that is related more to machining than to engines.  Don't take this the wrong way though, anyone, but hear me out. 

I am well versed in machining, and have done a couple of small steam engines, but interest in eventually building some gassers is what brought me to "the other engine forum" and eventually to this one. So, I found that I had a tendency to participate a bit more in the machining forum rather than this engine forum. But, over time I began to realize that between my regular job of 50 to 60 hours per week, home repairs, errands, emails, coaching kids in a 4-H shooting sports program, and keeping up with the forums, that I had to cut back a bit somewhere. I was spending all my time in the forums and not getting my shop completed!! As a result, I don't respond as often, though I often would like to. Many times someone else has already properly answered a question when I read it, so there is not any need for me to jump in.

So, I may seem more like a lurker than a contributor, but there are reasons that this occurs, and I thought I would offer this up as food for thought. Simply put, some of us would love to spend more time here, but cannot always do so. Of course, this doesn't mean we don't enjoy what others have posted, as we certainly do!!
----------------------------
Terry
Making chips when I can!

Offline PJW

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 06:58:50 AM »
Hi all, I like Terry am also a bit of a lurker, but I am also a learner picking up tips from the masters & making some of my own tooling. I had done some milling years ago but no turning. my turning is getting better & a few milling skills are coming back, but I will try to contribute a bit where I can!
Old Guys Rule the Dark Side of the Shed!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 11:18:23 AM »
We all have times in out lives where life is a big distraction.   To those in that situation....live your life.   No one here will think less or you or will hold it against you if you do!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 12:08:39 PM »
Dave you are so correct. I know it's hard for me to realize sometimes that a lot of our members are retired  and have more time for the pleasures they worked many years to be able to enjoy now. If you are at least able to read and learn from the postings here then I really believe the type of members we have feel they have accomplished a hell of a lot. I feel like I'm part of a family here (the black sheep maybe) and am in constant awe of the work being done and the information made available. So, if you have time to just follow along, take notes along the way and when your time comes I can bet you that you'll be well prepared.

Whiskey

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 03:03:21 PM »
I have been a member of the "other forum" for about 6 years. I have posted many build logs, and it was great fun up until the mass migration, but then something happened that made me very sad. So many of the experienced model engine makers left, that I quit learning. Don't get me wrong---I had learned enough to turn out some complex and intriguing models, but there simply weren't enough experienced senior members to critique my work and to ask for advice when I didn't understand things that I was doing. I sometimes think that one has to be involved in model engineering for two or three years before they fully begin to realize all of the things that they don't know. Tel was one of the people I could always ask for advice, and get reasonable answers from. Onya Tel!!!---Its great to be back on the same forum again.---Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal