Author Topic: Milestone!  (Read 16802 times)

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
Milestone!
« on: September 03, 2013, 02:32:21 AM »
Just let no. 1000 in the door - MrH - let's hope I don't 'ave to throw 'im back!
 :bandrock: :bandrock:
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
Re: Milestone!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 03:44:10 AM »
Drop bear?? or joe blake?
Pete

I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 08:28:27 AM »
As long as the other 999 are comfortable with that, I see no problem...

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 08:49:12 AM »
We are growing. :ThumbsUp:

Vince

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 08:57:15 AM »
What would be nice is if more members actually participated  :shrug:. Too many have zero posts against their names, they may as well be lurkers :(

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline tel

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 09:02:17 AM »
That's the (computer) age old problem Jo - many join, few contribute.

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 09:54:01 AM »
I like the size of this place. It's not too many people so you can actually know nearly everyone who's actively here :)

Steve

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 09:59:36 AM »
I'm with you Steve,

Better 100 all contributing than 1000 with 10% contributing but as tel says that's pretty well it for all forums.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 12:06:01 PM »
It is a nice size I agree which is good for getting to know more members, but I also wish as Jo said that more would contribute, even if only to ask questions or seek advice. We have tried more basic build logs, general interest threads, and the most recent thread on "What was your first engine," with little added participation. Maybe Tel is right, but it is frustrating when one of our goals is to keep the hobby alive and prospering.

Bill

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 02:19:05 PM »
When I started this engine madness two years ago, the "other" forum was like this. I believe I read nearly every back post and learned an amazing amount. While I do cross-post builds, because I'm hoping that someone new might learn something, there are relatively few comments and helpful suggestions "over there."
I get the sense that they aren't that interested in anything but their own project. What works so well here, at MEM is a real desire to learn and share knowledge. There is a family here and  people are interested in helping. Witness my "BassAckwards Boiler Fiasco." The concern and help is genuine.
I've gotten info and PDF files via PM and email that are excellent and a huge help to me. For someone to take the time to go through their collection of files and get them to me is "above and beyond."
The other day I roughed out a whistle to see if it would actually work and plans and articles for whistles arrived via email.
So, thanks to everyone here. It matters.

Stan
Best,
Stan

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 02:55:43 PM »
Its not just on the web, but in most organisations, a few do the work, the rest are too busy doing something else, and you never see them.  So long as someone learns something, perhaps one day they will come back with some ideas of their own so we can learn.   Ian S C

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 02:59:42 PM »
I do wonder if anyone is still finding anything interesting or useful in some of my threads.. the only clue I get is if the view count goes up  :shrug:

Jo

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 03:12:28 PM »
It was no different on the other site.   When it all went down we were near 14K members....but about 200-300 who posted regularly...and a core of far fewer who were power members.....who posted a lot.

I suspect a similar break down here....and that I think is normal.....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 04:18:54 PM »
I do wonder if anyone is still finding anything interesting or useful in some of my threads.. the only clue I get is if the view count goes up  :shrug:

Jo

Your posts are fun to read and informative as well.  Don't be discouraged by the lack of responses posted.  I am guilty of reading without responding but I read them all and I am sure there are lots of others in the same boat.   We should all remember that posting a build log takes a lot of extra effort and energy.  I guess I could be more responsive to your build and the other continuing build threads.  Please continue.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 04:34:06 PM »

Oh, absolutely, Jo! I'm sure that I, like many, may not comment on every post, but I follow every one of your build logs, and have got so much useful info from them!

Simon

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 04:36:47 PM »
Same here Jo, though I admit with multiple builds it does get a bit tricky to keep them straight :)

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 05:05:18 PM »
Thanks Guys  :ThumbsUp:

I do sometimes wonder if, rather than posting every day when I do a little bit, I should not save it all up and do a much longer posting that shows a part from start to end but then  :shrug: many of the techniques would not get a mention, techniques that I hope they are of some use to a beginner.

Bill: I manage the threads by keeping I have seperate word documents for each build  ;) But it still can get a bit tricky remembering which thread people are being rude about my cooking or I am being naughty about my other hobbies on, I suspect that other forums might be relieved that they do not have to put up with my version of English humour  :LittleDevil:

Jo

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 05:13:50 PM »
Jo,
I think I must be close to your target audience...beginner that likes to see what you are doing step by step. I read them all, and learn a great deal. Proof is, I'm beginning to get your humor???!!!
Of course, more pictures would be better, you know which ones we want! (not the ones where you bake a fruitcake or shepherds pie)
In all seriousness, keep it coming, we love it.
Mosey :happyreader: :Love:

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 05:30:20 PM »
Jo,

Don't change a damn thing girl!....You Rock!

8)

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 05:50:45 PM »
I agree with Dave Jo, it wasn't a criticism at all...more a lack of concentration on my part...and by all means, don't stop the humor...English or otherwise :)

Bill

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 08:33:42 PM »
I do sometimes wonder if, rather than posting every day when I do a little bit, I should not save it all up and do a much longer posting that shows a part from start to end but then  :shrug: many of the techniques would not get a mention, techniques that I hope they are of some use to a beginner.
Jo
Jo,
I try to learn from all of the posts. Some show clever wise ways of setup, markup, and making pieces. Others show things not to do, often with helpful posts following about how to get out of a jam.
On the other hand, although I know that posters appreciate feedback, even when it is just an encouraging word, I feel uncomfortable doing that kind of post - I'd rather leave that to others who are real machinists. I do ask questions to either help me understand a machining sequence or when I wonder if some alternative would also work.
With my limited tooling (and funds) there are many threads where I can only appreciate the thought and skill involved. Still, I have never read a thread here where I haven't learned something.
Perhaps some of out read-only members are in similar circumstance.
Alan

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 08:44:38 PM »
Jo, don't look at the replies, look at the views. I think most are in such awe of work like yours and a few others here that they don't know what to say except "Wow" and that alone would kinda sound hollow. Kinda like going up to a master guitarist and saying; "Great stuff, can you show me a few chords? ". I don't mind sounding like I'm a mutt amongst pure breeds , but, there may be those that do.

Whiskey

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 11:10:41 PM »
If there were no constructive comments, (or a PM from Jo) there's no telling how long I would have continued on the upside down boiler. An attaboy is good too.
I sometimes look at Jo's builds or Arnold's or George Brittnal's and think "No way. Not ever could I get there." The reason that my work has gotten better is from tips, hints, and even "No! Don't do that. You'll kill yourself"
I plead guilty to not commenting enough. New policy. More comments, even if they are just in the "Nice" or "Wow" category.

Stan
Best,
Stan

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 11:49:20 PM »
In my daily grind, I look forward to reading the build logs and have gone back on many of them and re-read the whole thing because I feared that I missed something or did not understand something correctly  the first time around. On numerous occasions I've found that the light bulb will finally go in my brain and I understand a procedure with clarity. The excellent pictures also are a huge benefit as well. And yes, there are also times that all I can think of to say is "WOW" before muddling off to my corner in amazement. It has been a while since I last did a build thread but 'things' have gotten in the way. To all that currently have builds going, please, keep it up, it is the one thing I look forward to each day. And to anyone that has it in their mind that their work is "not up to par" or "isn't good enough". I say boloney. I would love to see any and all endeavors and would not for a moment, put down anyone else's work as being too simple or uninteresting. Everyone had to start off at some level in the course of things. :cheers:

BC1
Jim

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 11:50:20 PM »
Stan: noted. I think we all felt for you when you shared the mistake with the boiler. In most cases a problem shared is a problem halved, and hopefully leads to a better result in the end!

Simon

Offline TerryWerm

• Jordan, MN - 6147 nice folks and one grouch!
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2013, 03:43:56 AM »
I try to add to a thread when I am able, but I must admit that I have been more active on a different forum that is related more to machining than to engines.  Don't take this the wrong way though, anyone, but hear me out. 

I am well versed in machining, and have done a couple of small steam engines, but interest in eventually building some gassers is what brought me to "the other engine forum" and eventually to this one. So, I found that I had a tendency to participate a bit more in the machining forum rather than this engine forum. But, over time I began to realize that between my regular job of 50 to 60 hours per week, home repairs, errands, emails, coaching kids in a 4-H shooting sports program, and keeping up with the forums, that I had to cut back a bit somewhere. I was spending all my time in the forums and not getting my shop completed!! As a result, I don't respond as often, though I often would like to. Many times someone else has already properly answered a question when I read it, so there is not any need for me to jump in.

So, I may seem more like a lurker than a contributor, but there are reasons that this occurs, and I thought I would offer this up as food for thought. Simply put, some of us would love to spend more time here, but cannot always do so. Of course, this doesn't mean we don't enjoy what others have posted, as we certainly do!!
----------------------------
Terry
Making chips when I can!

Offline PJW

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2013, 06:58:50 AM »
Hi all, I like Terry am also a bit of a lurker, but I am also a learner picking up tips from the masters & making some of my own tooling. I had done some milling years ago but no turning. my turning is getting better & a few milling skills are coming back, but I will try to contribute a bit where I can!
Old Guys Rule the Dark Side of the Shed!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 11:18:23 AM »
We all have times in out lives where life is a big distraction.   To those in that situation....live your life.   No one here will think less or you or will hold it against you if you do!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 12:08:39 PM »
Dave you are so correct. I know it's hard for me to realize sometimes that a lot of our members are retired  and have more time for the pleasures they worked many years to be able to enjoy now. If you are at least able to read and learn from the postings here then I really believe the type of members we have feel they have accomplished a hell of a lot. I feel like I'm part of a family here (the black sheep maybe) and am in constant awe of the work being done and the information made available. So, if you have time to just follow along, take notes along the way and when your time comes I can bet you that you'll be well prepared.

Whiskey

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2013, 03:03:21 PM »
I have been a member of the "other forum" for about 6 years. I have posted many build logs, and it was great fun up until the mass migration, but then something happened that made me very sad. So many of the experienced model engine makers left, that I quit learning. Don't get me wrong---I had learned enough to turn out some complex and intriguing models, but there simply weren't enough experienced senior members to critique my work and to ask for advice when I didn't understand things that I was doing. I sometimes think that one has to be involved in model engineering for two or three years before they fully begin to realize all of the things that they don't know. Tel was one of the people I could always ask for advice, and get reasonable answers from. Onya Tel!!!---Its great to be back on the same forum again.---Brian

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2013, 03:37:46 PM »
Hey Brian,

I think a lot of it will be the same....but not all.   It is the members that make a forum...and to some extent, this one is a bit different...not worse or better than the "other"
place back before....just different.

That said...I'm very glad to be here...it certainly suites me better than the other place......and I'm glad to have all my old friends here too...but I am glad to have met a bunch of new friends.

So.....Life goes on in it's ever changing way..   Glad you're here!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 03:57:47 PM »
I think what is really nice about this forum is that everyone is out to help each other and we don't suffer (unlike other places I could mention) with people trying to make out that for some reason they are better than the next person  :disappointed: or trying to belittle another's work/designs :hellno:.

We all started somewhere and even the most experienced amongst us can learn from the simple observations of beginners  ;).

Jo

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 04:07:59 PM »
I think what is really nice about this forum is that everyone is out to help each other and we don't suffer (unlike other places I could mention) with people trying to make out that for some reason they are better than the next person  :disappointed: or trying to belittle another's work/designs :hellno:.

We all started somewhere and even the most experienced amongst us can learn from the simple observations of beginners  ;).

Jo

YUP!
Damned ijjit!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 06:16:45 PM »
Just a couple of my own thoughts...
And you all know what that's worth.

Lurkers 'are' participants.
Lurkers are interested in this hobby (most by far anyway), otherwise they wouldn't spend time here.
Wanting more (or better) contributors is not the lurkers' fault.

Really not much different than an art gallery is it? Full of lurkers. Fewer artists. Fewer still contributors.
Would you close the gallery because there's too few masters or only people who want to view?

Views do matter. It's a measure of interest.

It's hard to contribute. It takes a lot to prepare and to overcome the feelings of 'is this worth it?', 'will people be interested?', 'is this helpful'.
It's hard to comment on others and to overcome the feelings of 'is this helpful' or 'is this going to be taken wrong?'
I am so often amazed and interested in the work. But I can't really contribute much in the way of experience and oft times feel inadequate just saying 'wow!' or 'that is so cool'. (Not that there aren't other ways to contribute...I most enjoy helping absolute newbies by sharing my own experiences of trepidation, lack of knowledge, mistakes, and what I've learned from the people here.)

There was an earlier question about whether to save up and make a big post or do it as one goes.
I myself prefer the latter. From a contributor's point of view it's more satisfying getting constant feedback and to interact more frequently.
From a viewer's point of view, to be honest, large posts (like this one?) don't get the attention they deserve. I, for one, like to have the time to read other posts.

One last note of a personal nature...there were comments about being involved, not being involved enough, getting distracted, and so on.
I've been distracted for a few months now and expect I will be for a few more yet.
But what I've found is that while the hobby itself has a huge (temporarily unfulfilled) draw...it's this forum that really draws me in.

So I've been quiet for a while...but I think of this place a lot.

P.S. I just bought a blasting cabinet that I'd been waiting to see on sale for some time. Another newbie adventure coming up!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 06:45:49 PM »
Zee,
I had been wanting to speak up here, but you said everything I had been thinking. I have never understood the derogatory use of the term "lurker".

I have plenty of experience with being the shy guy who watched, hoping to learn something, feeling he had nothing to contribute. Being called a name for being shy or lacking confidence will only drive me away when I might have eventually gained the confidence to join in.

--Tim

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 07:28:03 PM »
Zee, damn boy, you ain't said much lately, but what you just said made up for it. A standing ovation is in order. Tim, I don't think anyone here is using the term "lurker" in a derogatory manner. Kind of like newbie, master, or redneck. I think it is just aword for. Did that make sense?

Whiskey

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 08:15:38 PM »
I am so often amazed and interested in the work. But I can't really contribute much in the way of experience and oft times feel inadequate just saying 'wow!' or 'that is so cool'. (Not that there aren't other ways to contribute...I most enjoy helping absolute newbies by sharing my own experiences of trepidation, lack of knowledge, mistakes, and what I've learned from the people here.)

What you say is true, Zee.  However, I find it difficult to understand how one could lurk here for years and never have a question about what you're seeing/reading.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2013, 08:46:19 PM »
I for one have learned so much from people here and without them I would not have the confidents I have to post my builds.
This forum is a class room for me and where else can you get answers to your questions for FREE. I started model engine building three years ago and knew nothing about machining. It's still a long was to be more proficient at it, but this is why I love it here, you have all this knowledge in one spot. All you have to do is ask and someone will answer you. The way I grew up, I had no way to go to college like so many of people I knew, hell we were poor. Like many others I joined the military and give six years of my life for more education. The point here is all this information is FREE. Where else can you get free education in model engineering.
Lurkers are learning from us and our mistakes as do we. Until some gain the confidence to post I quess they will just lurk. But I for one think they should just do as we do. We are all adults here and what better way to get acquainted with every one. Also a lot of us work for a living but give time when it is available and like I have said before, "it gets done when it gets done". There is no race,there is no hurry this is a hobby and an enjoyment, just like fishing or hunting.

Regards Don

Offline IanR

• Derby, UK
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2013, 09:10:19 PM »
Speaking as one who reads more often than I post, I can see that it's encouraging for the engine builder to be told that people are interested in the thread, but it can get me down scrolling through 2 pages of 'Wow' to get to the next bit of actual building. (slight exaggeration with humourous intent)
When / if I get the lathe rebuild done, I hope to get back to engine building myself, and may put it up as an example of how to bodge.
Ian

PS How can bodge not be in the spellchecker dictionary?

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2013, 09:26:37 PM »
".....PS How can bodge not be in the spellchecker dictionary?...."

And pointing to another thread....what's the Plural of bodge?..... 8)

Feel free to show some pictures of the lathe rebuild.....I might know something about that kinda saga.... :ROFL:

Dave
Damned ijjit!

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2013, 09:30:14 PM »
Ian, don't give Dave no fuel for his fire on that lathe rebuild. You'll be umpteen years getting it done :lolb:
Just kidding guys, just kidding :ROFL:

Whiskey

Spellchecker didn't jump on umpteen.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2013, 09:31:28 PM »

8)
Damned ijjit!

Offline tel

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2013, 09:33:45 PM »
And pointing to another thread....what's the Plural of bodge?.

BODGES  :facepalm:

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2013, 09:39:25 PM »
Oh I want independant verification here.......

It's not Bogi?

or Bogessess?

:lolb:

Considering the only thing seperating us is a common langauge......we should be able to figure that one out....Oh Hell.....Where's Eric?!

Damned ijjit!

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2013, 09:41:33 PM »
....what's the Plural of bodge?

Yugo.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2013, 09:49:16 PM »
Here I am. Since we're talking English here, it has to be changed to something nobody in their right mind could figure out. Bodges, no; Bodgi, uh-uh; Bodgies,nope. See, that's where our other language comes in. SCREWED UP. OK I tamed it a little but Marinus or Jo may be looking in :lolb:

Whiskey

Now Marv, let's not forget Pinto, Vega, Dart, Fiero,

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2013, 09:59:59 PM »

Now Marv, let's not forget Pinto, Vega, Dart, Fiero,

And the Trabant, the Pontiac Aztec, and, of course, the Robin Reliant.  But it was still  the Yugo that gave communism a bad name.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline tel

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2013, 10:04:57 PM »
Bodges, no; Bodgi, uh-uh; Bodgies,nope.

Bodgies are a whole 'nother animal altogether!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodgies_and_Widgies

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2013, 10:21:23 PM »
Tel, I just checked your age( I'm used to ID'ing folks) so, were you a bodgie or an outback redneck wild ass jackaroo. You know how you quadruple the price of a Yugo? Fill it up with gas( adjusted for inflation)

Whiskey.

A funny:For beer sales  Tennessee State Law mandates that I must ID and I quote " Anyone 99 years of age or younger" . And y'all think our language is screwed up
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:26:53 PM by Tennessee Whiskey »

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2013, 10:29:31 PM »
For all its faults, the Yugo had a rear window defroster.  It was there to keep your hands warm while you pushed it.

They have a legal drinking age in Tennessee?  Damn, you learn something astounding everyday.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2013, 10:38:41 PM »
Now wouldn't it just tickle you to be carded for a long neck PBR at your age?

?

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2013, 10:41:52 PM »
Now wouldn't it just tickle you to be carded for a long neck PBR at your age?

I hope I never get thirsty enough to consider drinking PBR.  But getting carded in Tenny, yeah, I'd want a picture of that for my scrapbook.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2013, 11:42:08 PM »
Bodges, no; Bodgi, uh-uh; Bodgies,nope.

Bodgies are a whole 'nother animal altogether!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodgies_and_Widgies

Im sorry...I was mistaken.....clearly my comments were not accurate, and way off base.....

We are THREE countries separated by a common language...not two...
 :lolb:
Damned ijjit!

Offline garym

• Manchester, England
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2013, 12:21:15 AM »
I usually post more noise than signal but I'm learning lots from you guys. The thing I love about the model engineering community in general is the friendliness and encouragement shown to newcomers. Whether on forums or at exhibitions or at steam rallies almost everyone I've spoken to in the last eighteen months has been friendly and down to earth with very often a real interest in the simplest of beginner's projects.

Gary

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2013, 01:49:57 AM »
I hope that you have found MEM among those friendly folks Gary. Personally i find most if not all the beginner projects as fun to watch as the more complex ones.

And guys, i had a Vega in college and it was a good little car as long as you didn't try to race it. When i later traded it for a VW Rabbit diesel, the dealer gave a decent trade value, but noted that if i sent any friends in, try to pick ones that didn't have a Vega...i guess one on the used car lot at a time was enough :lolb:

Bill
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 01:55:28 AM by b.lindsey »

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2013, 02:18:01 AM »
i had a Vega in college and it was a good little car as long as you didn't try to race it.

I had a 71 wagon in high school. It had a 327 corvette engine in it so racing was not a problem. I had a friend down the block that made a small fortune putting head gaskets on the 4 bangers.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2013, 04:18:10 AM »
I had a Vega back in 75.
Sold it to my sister who gave me much grief about that until she managed to get rid of it.
Weird color. Blue during the day. Purple under street lights.

But...it was in that car, driving home from Tablerock Lake with T, during our short courtship, that I realized how comfortable I was being with her and wondering if she was the one. (Everyone say 'aw'.)

I found out much later that she already knew.

I also found out much later how stupid she thought I was for having that car.

I'm thinking it was a good thing to dump it on my sister.  :lolb:

And I continually find out things T thinks I'm stupid about.

Ah well. Better to by happy stupid than just stupid.

All I can tell her is...I made at least one right decision.  ;D
"To work. To work."

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2013, 04:31:27 AM »

All I can tell her is...I made at least one right decision.  ;D

Can I get an Amen out there!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2013, 09:52:24 PM »

Can I get an Amen out there!

AMEN BROTHER!!
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2013, 12:01:55 AM »
My high school car was a '50 Merc 2 door, flat head V8, dark green.  I have lots of great memories that I can't tell you about.

I wish I had pictures. 

I wish I had the car!

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2013, 01:47:39 AM »
I have lots of great memories that I can't tell you about.
I wish I had pictures. 

Memories are better. Pictures never change. You can't add to them.

And you can lose pictures but not memories.

The trouble with memories though...they can evolve into lies to oneself.  ;D
Hm....a bit harsh. Let's just say that memories (can) evolve.
"To work. To work."

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2013, 01:58:33 AM »
My high-school car was a '57 Chevy Impala convertible, torquise and white, 4 barrel, dual exhausts, 283, wheel pants, cool! I can't even think about what I did! :LittleDevil: :ROFL: :mischief: :Love: :cheers: :cartwheel:
Mosey

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2013, 02:35:15 AM »
"Bip" "Bip"   :lolb: :lolb:

BC1
Jim

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2013, 02:56:23 AM »
Remembering my 1st.

a 1920's utility of indeterminate origin reputedly a Rugby.

It had a 4cyl engine hand cranked to start with magneto ignition. The accelerator pedal was in the centre between the brake and clutch pedal. It had advance/retard plus throttle levers mounted on the steering column. The brakes were rods to the drums and only operated on the front wheels, the wheels had wooden spokes. The utility tray and sides were also of wood. The headlights were carbide lamps. It had a canvas roof, no side windows and the windscreen was in 2 pieces fitted with a hand operated wiper on the drivers side which was on the right. It could not legally be driven at night because there was no tail light. It's working life was predominantly carting fish to market and as such there was always a whiff of fish in its' immediate vicinity and this carried over to those who were brave enough to use it as transport.

I paid a whole fiver for it. From A to B slowly and carefully Yes. Anything else No.

Best Regards
Bob

Edit:

When I came home on my 1st leave from the Navy, it was gone..............my mother refused to endure the smell any longer, our garage was under the house and it was parked under the bedrooms. Dad did refund my fiver, but guess who was back on a bicycle.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 03:11:11 AM by Maryak »
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2013, 11:11:36 AM »
I wish I had pictures. 

I don't know...there are some memories I wouldn't change a bit!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2013, 12:14:21 AM »
I wish I had pictures. 

I don't know...there are some memories I wouldn't change a bit!

Dave

Agreed. But with memories you have the option.  ;D
I've changed a few...but for others I do everything I can to maintain.
"To work. To work."

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2013, 04:15:39 AM »
What would be nice is if more members actually participated  :shrug:. Too many have zero posts against their names, they may as well be lurkers :(

Jo

Yes in a perfect world!!

Like others have said  10% participation is pretty typical. I have heard it said in most volunteer organizations churches clubs the 10% do 80% of the work.
People join for many reasons some to learn , some out of curiosity some to gain knowledge in the form of pictures plans and other downloads, We as a society are busy people many have to work have other hobbies and some of us actually build  stuff in the shop. I used to make stuff. I will again.
Tin

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal