Author Topic: Milestone!  (Read 16806 times)

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
Milestone!
« on: September 03, 2013, 02:32:21 AM »
Just let no. 1000 in the door - MrH - let's hope I don't 'ave to throw 'im back!
 :bandrock: :bandrock:
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
Re: Milestone!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 03:44:10 AM »
Drop bear?? or joe blake?
Pete

I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 08:28:27 AM »
As long as the other 999 are comfortable with that, I see no problem...

Online vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 08:49:12 AM »
We are growing. :ThumbsUp:

Vince

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 08:57:15 AM »
What would be nice is if more members actually participated  :shrug:. Too many have zero posts against their names, they may as well be lurkers :(

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 09:02:17 AM »
That's the (computer) age old problem Jo - many join, few contribute.
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 09:54:01 AM »
I like the size of this place. It's not too many people so you can actually know nearly everyone who's actively here :)

Steve

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 09:59:36 AM »
I'm with you Steve,

Better 100 all contributing than 1000 with 10% contributing but as tel says that's pretty well it for all forums.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 12:06:01 PM »
It is a nice size I agree which is good for getting to know more members, but I also wish as Jo said that more would contribute, even if only to ask questions or seek advice. We have tried more basic build logs, general interest threads, and the most recent thread on "What was your first engine," with little added participation. Maybe Tel is right, but it is frustrating when one of our goals is to keep the hobby alive and prospering.

Bill

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 02:19:05 PM »
When I started this engine madness two years ago, the "other" forum was like this. I believe I read nearly every back post and learned an amazing amount. While I do cross-post builds, because I'm hoping that someone new might learn something, there are relatively few comments and helpful suggestions "over there."
I get the sense that they aren't that interested in anything but their own project. What works so well here, at MEM is a real desire to learn and share knowledge. There is a family here and  people are interested in helping. Witness my "BassAckwards Boiler Fiasco." The concern and help is genuine.
I've gotten info and PDF files via PM and email that are excellent and a huge help to me. For someone to take the time to go through their collection of files and get them to me is "above and beyond."
The other day I roughed out a whistle to see if it would actually work and plans and articles for whistles arrived via email.
So, thanks to everyone here. It matters.

Stan
Best,
Stan

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 02:55:43 PM »
Its not just on the web, but in most organisations, a few do the work, the rest are too busy doing something else, and you never see them.  So long as someone learns something, perhaps one day they will come back with some ideas of their own so we can learn.   Ian S C

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 02:59:42 PM »
I do wonder if anyone is still finding anything interesting or useful in some of my threads.. the only clue I get is if the view count goes up  :shrug:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 03:12:28 PM »
It was no different on the other site.   When it all went down we were near 14K members....but about 200-300 who posted regularly...and a core of far fewer who were power members.....who posted a lot.

I suspect a similar break down here....and that I think is normal.....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 04:18:54 PM »
I do wonder if anyone is still finding anything interesting or useful in some of my threads.. the only clue I get is if the view count goes up  :shrug:

Jo

Your posts are fun to read and informative as well.  Don't be discouraged by the lack of responses posted.  I am guilty of reading without responding but I read them all and I am sure there are lots of others in the same boat.   We should all remember that posting a build log takes a lot of extra effort and energy.  I guess I could be more responsive to your build and the other continuing build threads.  Please continue.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 04:34:06 PM »

Oh, absolutely, Jo! I'm sure that I, like many, may not comment on every post, but I follow every one of your build logs, and have got so much useful info from them!

Simon

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal