Author Topic: Cylinder Drain Coxs  (Read 28534 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
Cylinder Drain Coxs
« on: July 23, 2012, 07:11:34 PM »
I've seen quite a few different design of cylinder drain coxs, some are operated by rods and links from the cab, some are steam activated and others are automatic.

One of the guys at the club has automatic drain cox fitted to his loco to a design that was passed onto him from another member he desribed them as having balls that open when they need to:- when water is in the cylinder, they don't have springs. I've tried to puzzle out how they work, I've not been able to ? said member and get a drawing off him he's been absent for a couple of months, hopfully he's OK.

Pic os said coxs

Can any one shed some light on this.
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
Re: Cylinder Drain Coxs
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 07:35:39 PM »
Stew

they are quite simple

they are like a clack valve in the horizontal plane the steam /cylinder is at the top of the tee  the difference is that the ball can fall of the seat when the pressure is up the ball seats with water it falls off

see CoC
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline dsquire

• Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 07:38:53 PM »
Stew

Could it be that they are the type of ball (maybe plastic) that would float if there was water but it no water would sit over the hole and the pressure would keep it down and sealed. Just an idea.

I don't know steam so just tossing that out for You.

Cheers   :)

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 08:26:51 PM »
Stew

they are quite simple

they are like a clack valve in the horizontal plane the steam /cylinder is at the top of the tee  the difference is that the ball can fall of the seat when the pressure is up the ball seats with water it falls off

see CoC

Thats the one Stuart where does the ball seat on the vertical seat into the T or on the horizontal seat into the drain, is the seat flat or conned?, I take it the chamber wher the ball is located has a bit of clearance to allow the ball to drop.

Sorry to press you on this as i want to fit this type to my Simplex.

Stew

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 07:27:44 AM »
the seat is on the right hand side , seals to outlet or drain, the seal is flat faced as in a clack, give the chamber a little room. the ball needs to be able to drop off the seat.

note these do not seal perfectly and weep a bit but it does give an a vintage look

the ones on the class 4 tank are steam operated with pressure controlled from the cab that steam line also goes to the oil atomiser they use a ptfe popet with the shirt formed with a centre drill to throw up a frill on the back

Stuart

Bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 09:02:05 AM »
Stuart,

If you could make you pictures a little larger, it would help greatly. Yours stays at the size shown in the post and is almost impossible to see.

Something around 800x600 would be ideal.

Thanks

John

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 09:19:12 AM »
okcoky

will do john  I was trying to keep the inbounds so to speak

well John my system seems to be stuck on that file size  I have uploaded it as an attachment so it may be dl and expanded

it may be a product of the OS i run as its an unreleased one for a Mac ( i do dev work for apple ) i will try and sort out the reason 

Stuart
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:29:13 AM by Lordedmond »

Bogstandard

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 09:28:18 AM »
That's it Stuart, my oldish eyes can read it now. :old:

Many thanks

John

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 10:02:50 AM »
Hi Stew,
 Check out a copy of the Model engineer June 15 2012, issue 4432. Terence Hollands series on Farlie Complex he has a great drawing given you expertise should have no problem making. There have been several over the years in M.E if this one is not to your liking I'll happily check thru my database for other references.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline jonesie

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 03:45:15 PM »
sorry to be off topic stew but did you or are you  going to post on this site your simpson and shipson  build. i have the cylinder and piston build, coming along good so far. thanks jonesie

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 03:55:39 PM »
Stew,
Here is an article with drawings showing a steam operated type of drain cock.
http://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Drain_cocks.html

Dan
ShaylocoDan

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 07:14:30 PM »
Stuart thanks for the information and larger drawing I understand it now and recon I could make some.

Thanks for the info Kerrin and Dan I was toying with the idea od doing the steam jobs, but I'm having to do far more to get this loco running than I planned so I'm going to go for the method with less work content.

Jonesie

Pleased to her you're making progress.

The Simpson and Shipton build is currently being serialsed in ME, and I don't want to piss the editor off, but if you have any ? please don't hesitate to ask.

I'll can post an abridged version her though.

Stew

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 07:27:15 PM »
BTW Stew they are Cocks   as in bib cocks,  stop cocks    ;D

Offline jonesie

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 03:34:53 AM »
thanks stew, so far all is going good but if i have any questions i will give you a shout. thanks jonesie

Offline doubletop

• Wellington NZ
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 08:16:14 AM »
I'm glad you asked this Stew, I also need four for my Simplex. My loco is already plumbed up to steam operated cocks but one must have been ripped off at some point and four manual cocks fitted. I have some drawings for steam operated cocks that came with the loco and there is  Terrance Holland's version in ME and now Dan's version.

I'm interested to see how you go with the auto cocks, It looks like there's not much required to make them

Pete
?To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.? - Stirling Moss

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal