Author Topic: A Wallaby of my own.  (Read 252111 times)

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: A Wallaby of my own.
« Reply #585 on: January 28, 2015, 12:57:24 AM »
Not as well as I would like....Ive been wrenching far too much on this instead as of late.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php?topic=2810.0

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline jasonh

« Reply #586 on: January 31, 2015, 04:12:45 AM »
Here is something you don't see every day an original set of Wallaby castings in Bronze

Thanks for posting these photos of the castings. I've been in the process of making a Wallaby the slow way. ie- by making my own patterns and casting my own parts. It's interesting to see how others approached the castings. As time went by it looks like they simplified things by eliminating some of the cores in both the block and head. I can well understand- as it was I thought it was hard enough to do, although I'm hardly a well trained sand crab.

Here's where I'm at. It's hard to tell but I made it 25% bigger than plan because I thought the original size was a bit fiddly. Mine will be a 50cc engine when I'm done. Just a few more patterns/castings and then I'll have the complete set.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #587 on: January 31, 2015, 09:40:08 AM »
Hey that's cool!   How long have you been working on this?   What does your shop look like?  what other types of projects are you working on?   Inquiring minds want to know!   8)

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline jasonh

« Reply #588 on: February 01, 2015, 06:24:34 AM »
Hey that's cool!   How long have you been working on this?   What does your shop look like?  what other types of projects are you working on?   Inquiring minds want to know!   8)
Dave

I was also inspired by the work of Bez and Metalmad. I like to make patterns and cast parts, so the idea of casting my own engine had more appeal to me than buying a casting set. I've been at it off and on for about a year. I'm not too fast, but I have a lot of projects on the go. I'm sure you all know how that is.

The block was a bit of a challenge for me. That's the most complicated cored casting I have done.

The next complicated piece is the head. I'm not going to core the exhaust/inlet channels - but I do want to cast the cylinder head, valve bosses, etc. ie- like the original casting set, not from solid. Towards the aim of improving  my capabilities I built a CNC wood router. I've designed the cylinder head in CAD and now I need to carve out a core box on the CNC router. Currently I'm putting my CNC router through it's paces and making it fully functional.

After the head's done there are a few other castings, but they are all pretty simple- then it will be time to make chips.

Here's a pic of my homemade CNC router:

Offline metalmad

• Australia Skype - metalmad11
« Reply #589 on: February 01, 2015, 08:56:35 AM »
Wow I do like that Router. I might have to make something like that, would come in handy with my patterns too!
Love your Castings, they bring back lots of memories  :praise2: :praise2:
Pete 
A little bit every day, sometimes the same little bit

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #590 on: October 16, 2015, 02:06:55 PM »
Well.....its been a year....but maybe this weekend....
Damned ijjit!

Offline jasonh

« Reply #591 on: October 16, 2015, 02:54:53 PM »
Don't feel too bad. I'm sure there are lot's of us in the same boat. ie- lot's of projects all in various states of completion. Sometimes they get finished when you make that extra push....

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #592 on: October 16, 2015, 05:55:12 PM »
Don't feel too bad. I'm sure there are lot's of us in the same boat. ie- lot's of projects all in various states of completion. Sometimes they get finished when you make that extra push....

Got a bit busy!!!!

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,2810.0.html

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #593 on: October 16, 2015, 08:15:49 PM »
OK Tatah Tot,  just for the sake of William,  we'll accept the excuse,  but,  bub,  let's get cracking now, there's chips to be made  :lolb: :lolb:. If you need any machining hints or tips don't be afraid to ask,  this forum is full of knowledge  8). Tell everybody we said hey,

Cletus

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #594 on: October 17, 2015, 12:03:43 PM »
I'll do what I can do bud......work is still nuts...
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #595 on: October 20, 2016, 12:39:42 AM »

Hmmmmmm    No racing this weekend.....just some practice Saturday, and some gutters on Sunday.....

Indexing head is near done.....Hmmmmmm

That crank is coming out of that piece of stock damn it!

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #596 on: October 20, 2016, 02:29:19 AM »
Hey Cletus!    hell you yelled at me to get going on this thing a year ago!   LMAO!!!

Kids are killin me.....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #597 on: October 20, 2016, 09:16:13 PM »
Well, it didn't do much good a year ago,  but,  see'ns how there was unforseen circumstances,  I'll let yo Yankee butt slide : THIS TIME  :lolb: :lolb:. Now,  hows bout getting back to it,  dammit man.  Don't make me send Vern up there to straighten you out,  now ya hear.  Remember,  no pics and it didn't happen,  just saying  :old:

Cletus

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #598 on: October 20, 2016, 09:36:55 PM »
Pics I promise!!!

Roughing out the crank this weekend,   Might even start to finish it.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #599 on: October 23, 2016, 08:38:32 PM »
OK.....good session with the mill and a nice sharp 3/8 end mill and here's the roughed out crank.   I'll turn the throws first as is usual, and then the mains cutting the bosses off first.

Again   1144SP steel...125000 psi material as is.    Good stuff.    It actually machines OK unlike say 4150, but has decent carbon content and it doesn't move around as much as most CR stock.

That said, I waited till now to put the centers in.    It's moved all it's going to now.

I'll come up with some packing for the throws while I turn it.   Waiting for some parting blades to make suitable tools.

Next take the vise off and put a big knee on.  This is the set up I'll use to put the centers in on both ends from a common datum.

I'm  BAAAAAAAAACK.............8-)

Dave
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 09:11:28 PM by steamer »
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal