Author Topic: A Wallaby of my own.  (Read 256306 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: A Wallaby of my own.
« Reply #300 on: April 08, 2013, 10:30:09 PM »
I've been on the road a few days. I'm glad to see the progress here. Looking good!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #301 on: April 08, 2013, 11:47:07 PM »
Thanks Zee!
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #302 on: April 09, 2013, 01:19:15 AM »
Looking good Dave, and don't you just love those DRO scales. Sure makes life easier doesn't it?

Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #303 on: April 09, 2013, 01:24:46 AM »
Thanks Don! , I need to make a toolmakers reamer for the valve cages...as I need a 7/16 reamer...but don't want to buy one for two holes....I'll show how to do that if anyone is interested.   Always good to have some 0-1 drill rod around to make the odd cutter.

I'll see if I can get some work in this week during the evening...time and energy allowing.

Dave

Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #304 on: April 09, 2013, 01:27:57 AM »
Sure Dave, I am always interested in how it's done.

Don

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #305 on: April 09, 2013, 02:05:40 AM »
Dave, by all means show us how you make the reamer.
Glad to see you back on this build.

--Tim

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #306 on: April 09, 2013, 02:35:08 AM »
Here's the jist of it.....the end is cut with an approximate 5/1 taper to a sharp point....Harden it full hard and stone it.....I'll do the pictures when I make it....The exact taper isn't critical.

It's just a straight cut...a glorified D bit really.

It works!...and you can make it any size you like....one draw back ....it only takes about .005" of stock...though I suppose you could push more...so the procedure is to drill undersize, bore to about .005 under, then ream with the reamer..It pretty much cuts right on size..plus maybe a couple of tenths.

Boring to slightly undersize is good practice as drilled holes are never round or on position...the boring tool fixes that.

If I'm telling you guys how to suck eggs....just tell me to get on with it.... 8)

Dave
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:12:12 AM by steamer »
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #307 on: April 09, 2013, 03:04:37 AM »
Dave please continue this will be a nice class on D bits.

Thanks Don

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #308 on: April 09, 2013, 06:07:08 AM »
Thanks Dave for the show and tell.   Love these snippets.  Besides, I do not know how to suck eggs.  Keep them coming.

Vince

Offline Bezalel

« Reply #309 on: April 10, 2013, 01:38:43 PM »
OK got the cam tunnel bored and co-bored.   Seems like the casting is spot on for this feature....all in all a good set of castings here

Feel free to pipe in Bez!

Dave

Hi Dave

I've been asleep on the job it seems... or at least traveling this week, so I missed this post earlier.

Thanks for the encouragement.   I have been procrastinating on the line boring of my Wallaby on account of I was going to do it on the lathe. Unfortunately there are no T slots in my cross slide so making a jig was my next step. seeing you boring on the mill looks like a cinch in comparison.

I think I'll be following your lead on this one

Even if I have to make a longer boring bar. A huge thanks for the demo.
Cheers

Bez

Queensland - wet one day, humid the next

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #310 on: April 10, 2013, 02:00:22 PM »
OK got the cam tunnel bored and co-bored.   Seems like the casting is spot on for this feature....all in all a good set of castings here

Feel free to pipe in Bez!

Dave

Hi Dave

I've been asleep on the job it seems... or at least traveling this week, so I missed this post earlier.

Thanks for the encouragement.   I have been procrastinating on the line boring of my Wallaby on account of I was going to do it on the lathe. Unfortunately there are no T slots in my cross slide so making a jig was my next step. seeing you boring on the mill looks like a cinch in comparison.

I think I'll be following your lead on this one

Even if I have to make a longer boring bar. A huge thanks for the demo.
Cheers

Bez

Didn't plan on doing it that way originally, because I didn't have the Clausing then....but....it's working well...so I went for it.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #311 on: April 10, 2013, 05:21:30 PM »
Bet a little BBQ grease would work good for boring :Jester:  Looking great. Keep after it hoss :cheers:

Yo Redneck
Erict

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #312 on: April 12, 2013, 03:27:45 AM »
I started in on the head cooling jacket pocket

I have the straight legs cut...I need to pull a "George" and make a "milling button" to do the radiused parts.

This part will never show....but I want to learn how to whittle like George does! :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy:

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #313 on: April 12, 2013, 03:52:16 AM »
Looking good Dave and looking forward to more progress. Can't wait to see you make George's tool and using it.

Don

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #314 on: April 15, 2013, 01:20:10 AM »
OK.....had a very productive session in the shop!... I put up some lights with my son, and I got some work done on the head.

First the coolant jacket.

I laid it out as per the print.   They show a casting, but Im working from billet...quite the pocket!
I then remembered a tip from George Britnel...he mentioned...."milling buttons"....and although I didn't really know what those were, I do know what a filing button is....so I figuired it must be the same kinda thing.

So...I turned up a button with a 1/8" diameter shank to fit in the predrilled holes...I figured I could creep up on them with an end mill, and when I heard the change in pitch of the end mill when it touches off...I know I was there, and I could then walk around the button....but it got way better than that...

When the end mill just touched the button, the button would rotate!....back it off...it stops...so using the X and Y axis I would walk in and make the button turn with the X...back away with the Y until it stopped...Moved in with X until it turned....back away with the Y until it stopped...and in about 2 minutes...I was around the bushing just as slick as can be..and it looked great!

So I took the button out, dropped it in the next hole and had at it and before you know it I was around the part.

I then just cleaned up the center, and rough bored for the valve cages.

Gotta make a boring bar...... ::)

But I have to say...that button trick worked slicker than snot on a door knob!....

Dave

Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal