Author Topic: 1909 Mercedes Aero Engine  (Read 8807 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: 1909 Mercedes Aero Engine
« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2019, 12:11:53 PM »
Sorry to hear and see this Steve, glad you're not hurt.  Its frustrating, but parts can be replaced...eye's and fingers cant

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2019, 12:59:29 PM »
That can be frustrating Steve. Hope today will go better for you.

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2019, 06:04:56 PM »
I feel for you, Steve!  I've done that before and it never feels good.  :'( But you picked an excellent course of action.  Stop for the day and come back later.  You'll feel much better about it in a few days.  But as you say, its just a part of the hobby.  And, as Dave said, parts and equipment are replaceable.

Kim

Offline Old Bill

« Reply #153 on: February 19, 2019, 09:05:26 AM »
Thanks for your sympathy. What irks the most is that it was entirely avoidable and due only to my carelessness!

Damage repaired and I had enough material in stock for another. As the rods are 72mm long and the material comes in 300mm lengths, I was tempted to buy only one length but discretion being the watchword, I bought two. I was also fortunate to find another good end mill in the drawer so all was not lost and I soon had them all roughed out.

Now it is just a filing job. I turned up some buttons for guidance and away I went.

The fun bit now is the dipper to pick up the oil.

Now to profile the rest and give them some finish. Hopefully, no more excitement for a while!

Steve  :)

Offline Old Bill

« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2019, 10:20:50 AM »
Started the day by finishing the con rod profiles.

Little end bushes.

Big end bushes.

There is insufficient room inside the crank case for split big-ends so the rods are one-piece and have to be fitted whilst pressing the crankshaft together. This gives the interesting challenge of pressing it together true and straight, correct first time.

Centre bearing bush. This is drawn plain but again, there is no way of retaining it. I reckon there is enough space for flanges on each end so I have made it thus. We shall see whether it fits in a moment!

I found a large bronze bolt in the drawer so I have turned the end bearing from that.

This one carries a thrust face to carry the airscrew axial load. I have deliberately left it over-thickness so I can adjust it on assembly. Interestingly, the plain end protrudes beyond the end of the crank case and into line with the timing gear so the casting may be a bit thin here. I may have to trim the end back but we shall see.

One more bush and then it is time to start on the crank!

Steve   :)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2019, 11:05:27 AM »
It's looking great Steve!   

Can't wait to see the crank!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #156 on: February 20, 2019, 12:53:41 PM »
Looking good  :praise2:  :praise2: I'm glad you recovered quickly from the little mishap  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2019, 08:38:38 PM »
"the rods are one-piece and have to be fitted whilst pressing the crankshaft together. This gives the interesting challenge of pressing it together true and straight, correct first time."

!!!  :headscratch: :noidea:

Wow.  Following/lurking with interest.