Author Topic: PMR #1 Drilling Engine - Mike's 4th Engine  (Read 1651 times)

Online b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: PMR #1 Drilling Engine - Mike's 4th Engine
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 09:44:46 PM »
 Mike, it wouldn't hurt to call and ask them. I suspect they will given how much you had to take off due to the inclusions/voids.

Bilk

Offline mikehinz

Re: PMR #1 Drilling Engine - Mike's 4th Engine
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 01:38:17 AM »
Just a quick update on the flywheel.  Since I had to install my 4J today for the work I was doing on my spindle adapter repair, I went ahead and chucked up the flywheel leaving enough of the rim exposed to indicated it in.  I also used a small steel block as a spacer to firmly seat the other side of the flywheel that had been previously trued up, against the inside face of the 4J chuck jaws. 

After doing so I took a cut on the exposed side of the rim and on the outer face of the hub.  Surprisingly and very much unlike the other side of the flywheel I only had to take off about .030 in order to clean it up. 

The last pix shows the just completed side against the print.  It looks a bit like it's not cleaned up but that's just some oil in a couple of places.

The flywheel rim width ended up being .43".  The rim is a bit off center since I had to take so much from the first side.  However, I think I'll leave it as it as if it gets to bothering me too much, I'll order a new flywheel casting from PMR or perhaps Martin Pattern and Model. 

Nexts I plan to make a simple mandrel out of some 3/8" drill rod and Loctite it in place.  Then I'll take some very light cuts to make the rim and sides of the rim run true to the hub.  Hopefully that will work OK without too much ringing and chatter! 

All for now.

Enjoy!

Mike.
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA