Author Topic: New Member  (Read 8310 times)

Offline alan

« on: August 25, 2013, 05:23:07 PM »
Hi everyone. I would like to introduce myself. My name is Alan, I currently reside in Kent. I have lurked in the background for some time, but after a visit to the Guildford show I got my motivation back after seeing a young lady demonstrating on a Cowells lathe and surrounded by some beautiful engines. My current workshop consists of a Boxford AUD mark 3 and an early Cowells lathe and and a Modig milling machine. I am now looking to scratch build an engine. Look forward to my future on this site

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 05:32:10 PM »
Welcome!  Would that be Kent Ohio?  If so there is an engine show coming up in Zanesville in October. Anywho, looking forward to seeing some pictures of your future projects.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 05:53:04 PM »
Welcome Alan, glad you decided to join in!

Steve...I think he may be talking about Jo's recent demo...not Ohio :)

Bill

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
Hi Alan and welcome.  Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Vince

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 05:56:32 PM »
Hi Alan

Welcome!

Steve, I suspect Kent, UK, judging by the "after seeing a young lady demonstrating on a Cowells lathe" :D

Simon

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 06:00:47 PM »
 :hi: Alan,

A young lady.. I have no idea who that might have been  :noidea: They were not all mine, the three most impressive ones belonged to other forum members  ;)

Any chance of some pictures of your Cowells? For some reason I might have an interest in them  :embarassed: And that Modig sounds rather sexy.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 06:54:57 PM »
 :hi: Welcome  Allan!

Don

Offline alan

modig
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 07:28:10 PM »
The Modig is one real sexy Swedish lady. I hope to have some photographs soon but in the meantime can you think of any engine I can scratch build as I am new to this scene.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 07:42:46 PM »
How new is new? You have more lathes/mills than many of our members and they strike me as rather nice machines for a beginner to own.

Are you looking for a simple barstock engine, something more challenging or an engine from castings with the little challenges that castings bring?

Jo
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 08:59:27 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline alan

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 08:45:23 PM »
I have been a model engineer for about twenty years but never built a stationary engine only gauge 1 locomotives and tooling, so a simple barstock engine to start or perhaps something more challenging?

Offline ths

• Kangaroo Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 09:30:09 PM »
Hi Alan, welcome to the forum.

Cheers, Hugh.

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 09:42:58 PM »
I have been a model engineer for about twenty years but never built a stationary engine only gauge 1 locomotives and tooling, so a simple barstock engine to start or perhaps something more challenging?
It sounds like you could build whatever you wanted. Stationary engines are just like the ones with wheels: a bunch of fiddly bits; some pieces that require really good fits with other pieces; and lots of appearance parts.
There are people here like me that have only been at it a couple of years and others that have spent a lifetime at it. Some of us just have basic tools while others appear to have bought out a couple of machine shops. More machines can make things easier but in the end it comes down to how much time and care you want to take.
Alan

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 04:27:39 AM »
Welcome to the nuthouse Alan. :cheers:  Its certainly fun here and educational with all the greats of model engine building here :Lol: Lots of help available and always freely given and in my mind, small as it is , this would be the best forum anywhere.....but then I am biased
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 06:39:43 AM »
Glad to see you Alan.  :ThumbsUp:  There are a myriad of engine plans available on-line. Some very interesting models ranging from IC to Diesel with hot air and steam in between. Can you narrow it down just a wee bit for us, something you could do with your eyes closed kind of thing or something with a kazillion fiddly little pieces (yes some builders like them and we all know who you are) or just a nice relaxing build with moderate challenges. The Elmer Verburg engine series is probably one of the most reproduced series of engines on the planet, although they are restricted to steam/air power. All of his engines are well within the grasp of most builders. They can be left in their as-drawn state which is sometimes a bit mundane in nature (I mean that in a good sort of way) or they can be blinged out to the max with just a few minor changes and become show stoppers. And, they are all built from bar stock. This site has them available for easy download, have a look and see if there is anything you might like to try.
http://john-tom.com/html/Engines.html

BC1
Jim

Offline alan

Warm welcome
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 11:49:35 AM »
Thank you for such a warm welcome from the members. I am very interested in building a Corliss engine from bar stock. I am currently looking for drawings, but in the meantime I have many accessories to make for the Cowells.

Alan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal